• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pasco PD Recording Traffic Interactions

cbpeck

This morning on my way to work I was pulled over by Pasco PD for speeding in a school zone. I thought I had slowed down enough, but whatever. The officer was very polite and let me go with a warning. I thanked him and went on my way.

The reason I'm posting is that the very first words out of his mouth were something along the lines of, "Hello, I want you to know this conversation is being recorded. I pulled you over...." I can't remember the exact words, but he definitely said that our conversation was being recorded, and it struck me as interesting because I've never had an officer tell me that before. I presume it is because I haven't been recorded before, but who knows. Knowing that I was being recorded definitely impacted how I responded.

I have a rough understanding of privacy laws, but I'm not sure if a traffic stop - in a 7-Eleven parking lot - is a public or private conversation. Did he have to disclose that he was recording?

I suspect the PDs record conversations to obtain evidence, but it got me wondering if all officers are carrying recording equipment now, or if it is just traffic. Is the cop who visits you in Wal-Mart cause some over zealous liberal dialed 911 going to have recording equipment? If so, and if he chooses to record you is he required to inform you? I'm curious now.

Thanks in advance.

cbpeck

It occurs to me that had I been carrying a recorder I could have said, "funny, I'm also recording this conversation." lol

BTW, I was not carrying at the time, but I could've been. I do believe this thread is relevant to OC.

amlevin

Bainbridge Island is going farther. You will not only be recorded, you will be video'd.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/27502772/detail.html

Looks similar to this:

PVR-LE2-camera.jpg

One downside is that the officer can control whether it is on or off by merely flipping a "shutter" over the lens. Only supervisors can delete data but the officer can control what data is collected.

Bill Starks

State Researcher