• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kansas City MO Zoo?

kcgunfan

So, I'm going to the KC Zoo tomorrow for some Scout function. I was wondering if it was legal for me to carry. How annoying is that to find out. First, Google says nothing about it. The Zoo has no policies posted anywhere.

My first issue is to find out who owns the property. It looks to be owned by KCMO, but that's not 100% clear. There is some hint that the Zoo may be its own entity, owning it's own land. If it is public land, I'm golden, otherwise, I would respect their wishes.

Secondly, could this be somehow classified as an amusement park? I would not think so, but I've never found a statutory definition of an amusement park.

Does anyone have any idea? I'm planning on CCing, just because I don't want the hassle from my daughter's Daisy Scout leaders. So I don't think it'll be much of an issue, this is more for future trips.

cshoff

IIRC, the St. Louis Zoo operates under an Amusement Park license. The KC Zoo may be the same. That said, the STL Zoo is NOT posted and I have carried their multiple times as I refuse to go to that part of town, or to their parking lots, in an unarmed manner.

As to your question as to whether or not it is "legal", the answer is that it is not unlawful. If you have a valid CCW permit and you are carrying your concealed firearm in the zoo, even if they have signs posted on the entrance, it is not unlawful for you to do so. In fact, it isn't even an infraction to do so. It only becomes an infraction if you are somehow discovered and asked to leave, and you refuse to leave. Of course, if you are asked to leave and you refuse, it is unlawful whether you are carrying or not.

Only you can make the decision as to what you think is right for your personal safety and the safety of your family.

Richieg150

Last time I went there,which was last year,it wasnt posted,That said,conceal it,just in case you would possibly have to use it on something that has escaped its cage and ready to eat you!I just covered mine up and went about business as usual,but I do have a valid CCW.

mspgunner

IIRC, the St. Louis Zoo operates under an Amusement Park license. The KC Zoo may be the same. That said, the STL Zoo is NOT posted and I have carried their multiple times as I refuse to go to that part of town, or to their parking lots, in an unarmed manner.

As to your question as to whether or not it is "legal", the answer is that it is not unlawful. If you have a valid CCW permit and you are carrying your concealed firearm in the zoo, even if they have signs posted on the entrance, it is not unlawful for you to do so. In fact, it isn't even an infraction to do so. It only becomes an infraction if you are somehow discovered and asked to leave, and you refuse to leave. Of course, if you are asked to leave and you refuse, it is unlawful whether you are carrying or not.

Only you can make the decision as to what you think is right for your personal safety and the safety of your family.

Ditto, no way I'd go the STL Zoo without CCW! Been several times! Any where, any time!!!! Especially any where near there!!!!

cash50

Your chances of being mauled by a tiger go up 3400% when you go to the zoo, you better carry just in case..

kcgunfan

Ditto, no way I'd go the STL Zoo without CCW! Been several times! Any where, any time!!!! Especially any where near there!!!!

I'd definitely be armed in Forest Park.

Decided to CC to not freak out the Scout parents. Amazingly enough, my Glock 26 failed to go on a shooting spree.

kcgunfan

Don'T need preemption, OC is fair in KCMO and Jackson Co. But I care about public property vs private because I will disarm if asked in private property. I read the same sentence on the website. Still doesn't answer my question though. For the record, nothing is posted about firearms.

peterarthur

LOL.... funny, I was also at the Zoo today and saw all of the scouts. A couple of scout leaders were sitting near the train in Australia and I just had the feeling they were the carrying type. They looked me over pretty well as I had my Fedora and geek glasses on and had 8 of my 9 children with me.

We decided to have my wife CCW the Glocks, although I was mighty tempted to try an open carry.
The Kansas City Zoo is ...
• a private non-profit
• an accredited member of the AZA (American Zoo & Aquarium Association)
• operated in agreement with the Kansas City, Missouri, Board of Parks and Recreation Commissioners.

And public property that is set aside for private use (like an apartment paid for by welfare) is still treated private under the law, otherwise you could not own a gun if you lived in "public" housing.

Sooo, it is probably ok to OC, I just did not feel like being asked to leave today...

Maybe next time.

kcgunfan

Sooo, it is probably ok to OC, I just did not feel like being asked to leave today...

Maybe next time.

I didn't see you around. I would have like to have seen you and your wife with the almost full gaggle... I would have OC'ed if I wasn't there for Scout day, maybe I will next time. I'm a FOTZ, so if you ever want to meet out there some weekend...

kcgunfan

I didn't see you around. I would have like to have seen you and your wife with the almost full gaggle... I would have OC'ed if I wasn't there for Scout day, maybe I will next time. I'm a FOTZ, so if you ever want to meet out there some weekend...

Oh yeah, I've pretty much decided to look for a backpack with a concealed place for a firearm. I've fought against that ever since my wife passed away, because I didn't want to run around with a man bag. But, I figure if there's a firearm in it, I'll feel better about it (even though nobody else will...)

Last edited:

kcgunfan

And public property that is set aside for private use (like an apartment paid for by welfare) is still treated private under the law, otherwise you could not own a gun if you lived in "public" housing.

I'm a little confused by this statement. I had thought there were specific rules for public housing, vs. a blanket treatment of public property as private. Do you have a cite for that. I'm not necessarily doubting you. I'm just curious how that can be...

JDW

I'd definitely be armed in Forest Park.

Decided to CC to not freak out the Scout parents. Amazingly enough, my Glock 26 failed to go on a shooting spree.

You gotta have some of those '' assault clips '' first. ETA as far as a back pack , might take a look at the Maxpedition Monsoon , I just got mine Thursday . ( I am not a ''man bag '' kind of guy either) .

Last edited:

kcgunfan

You gotta have some of those '' assault clips '' first. ETA as far as a back pack , might take a look at the Maxpedition Monsoon , I just got mine Thursday . ( I am not a ''man bag '' kind of guy either) .

Of course, I just had one of those non-lethal 10 round magazines in there. Good point. I can't seem to fit a clip into my Glock, I think the receiver is defective... On the other hand, I just had an image of me walking around with a 33 round magazine in my Glock with my CrossBreed holster. Is that a very large magazine in your waistband, or are you just super excited to see me?

I was actually looking at that bag earlier. Seems like the list of options is very short. I mostly want it to carry all of the gear associated with a 4 and 6 year old, so I don't get taken for hundreds of dollars at the food establishments...

peterarthur

Yeah, we got the family membership FOTZ too, so we go there alot. Drop me a message next time you are headed out and we will watch for you. Can't miss my big green fedora (bald head vs sun= I lose) and nerd glasses, with wife and 6 to 9 of the kids depending who wants to go.