• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a WV resident OC in VA?

carman5001

Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
I am new to this forum and OC in general. I live in WV and do not have a CC permit yet. In WV, no permits are needed to OC. I am unsure about crossing state lines. I am asking because I work in VA (Vienna), and commute every day. Any help with this question would be great.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I am new to this forum and OC in general. I live in WV and do not have a CC permit yet. In WV, no permits are needed to OC. I am unsure about crossing state lines. I am asking because I work in VA (Vienna), and commute every day. Any help with this question would be great.

As long as you can legally own a gun (No Felony convictions, Etc) you can OC in Virginia.
You're fine in your commute.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Cliff Notes Version of OC in Virginia

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOTE: In most locations where concealed carry (CC) is prohibited, open carry (OC) is also prohibited.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Federal facilities (buildings) (18USC § 930) [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

- Many federal agency lands (various federal regs, e.g., USPS, but not National Parks)
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

- National Forests: OC prohibited except where hunting is allowed (4VAC15-40-60)

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- General Assembly Buildings except for CHP holders (Joint Rules Committee Rule) [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

- State Parks: OC prohibited except where hunting is allowed (4VAC5-30-200)

- State Forests (4VAC10-30-170)

- Hog Island Wildlife Management Area (4VAC15-40-120)

- Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - George Mason University buildings (8VAC35-60-20) [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

- Courthouses (§18.2-283.1)

- Detention Facilities (§15.2-915)

- K-12 school grounds (CHP holders exempted for CC while in a vehicle; handgun secured in a container or compartment in a vehicle also exempted.) (§18.2-308.1)

- K-12 school buses. (§18.2-308.1)

- Property used exclusively for K-12 school-sponsored functions (§18.2-308.1)

- Air carrier airport terminal buildings (§18.2-287.01)

- Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (§18.2-283)

- CC on private property when prohibited by owner (§18.2-308.0)

http://www.vcdl.org/static/ccw.html
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
In restaurants that serve alcohol, you may CC if you do not drink. OC has no such restriction.

BTW - you should try to catch an OC meet 'n greet in your area in that you are here frequently. Check the Va. forum stickys for time and place.

[/FONT]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Carmen, we always strongly suggest that you take internet forums as a good starting place but shouldn't be considered legal advice.

You should have a look at both the VCDL website and then the Virginia State Police site.

For your own peace of mind, all legal questions should be firmed up by an attorney.

Welcome to the site BTW

carman5001

Martinsburg, West Virginia, United States
Carmen, we always strongly suggest that you take internet forums as a good starting place but shouldn't be considered legal advice.

You should have a look at both the VCDL website and then the Virginia State Police site.

For your own peace of mind, all legal questions should be firmed up by an attorney.

Welcome to the site BTW

Thank You that is great advise, I will do that. I don't walk far and my work doesn't allow guns so I will be mostly OC in the car, I wonder if I can leave it in the car locked in the glove box.

slowfiveoh

--Moderator Edited--
Personal attack deleted.

John/Mike -Are you effing drunk? It was a statement in jest and not directed at ANYBODY.

I was going to repeat a close approximation of what I said, so people can see what you seriously just deleted and called a personal attack, but I can't remember it precisely. It was however CLEARLY a joke.

Completely uncalled for on your behalf.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Sure.
What kinda gun is it, whats the make/model/year and color of the car? Where and when will it be parked?
:lol:

Ahhh good point. I see what you are saying.

Starting July 1 a non-CHP holder can have a loaded
handgun in a secure compartment or container in a private motor
vehicle or vessel. HB 885 was passed and signed by Gov. Bob McD.

Still there is the problem that Ed points out.

TFred

Ahhh good point. I see what you are saying.

So I take it I can OC and Lock it up in the car loaded. Is this accurate. Well I will still get my CC permit ASAP just to be sure and will a attend a OC meet and greet. You all have been helpful.
Apparently you don't really "see" the point.

Of all the possible things or combinations of things you could do, I would suggest that a daily routine of Openly Carrying your gun to work, and then leaving it locked in your car would be the worst possible thing you could do.

What you are doing is telling anyone who may ever see you that there is an unattended car with a gun in it, waiting and available to be stolen for at least 8 hours (or whatever your regular shift time is) every day you go to work.

If you choose to leave your gun unattended in a car every day, first I would suggest the purchase and installation of a special safe for that purpose. There are several options available. Second, I would suggest a lot more discretion. Most people don't like to leave a gun in their car at all, much less when Openly Carrying, which to any half-way observant criminal is just as good as putting a sign on the window saying "Come steal my gun!"

This is the same reason that you don't ever comply with a restaurant's demand to "please take your gun back to your car". Everyone in earshot of that conversation would then know that there is an unattended gun out in the parking lot asking to be stolen. That's why you just say "No thanks, I'll take my business elsewhere."

JMHO, but think about it...

TFred

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Apparently you don't really "see" the point.

Of all the possible things or combinations of things you could do, I would suggest that a daily routine of Openly Carrying your gun to work, and then leaving it locked in your car would be the worst possible thing you could do.

What you are doing is telling anyone who may ever see you that there is an unattended car with a gun in it, waiting and available to be stolen for at least 8 hours (or whatever your regular shift time is) every day you go to work.

If you choose to leave your gun unattended in a car every day, first I would suggest the purchase and installation of a special safe for that purpose. There are several options available. Second, I would suggest a lot more discretion. Most people don't like to leave a gun in their car at all, much less when Openly Carrying, which to any half-way observant criminal is just as good as putting a sign on the window saying "Come steal my gun!"

This is the same reason that you don't ever comply with a restaurant's demand to "please take your gun back to your car". Everyone in earshot of that conversation would then know that there is an unattended gun out in the parking lot asking to be stolen. That's why you just say "No thanks, I'll take my business elsewhere."

JMHO, but think about it...

TFred
Hopefully said much better than I did.

TFred

Hopefully said much better than I did.
Thanks... I hope he or she doesn't feel like we're busting chops, but it is very important for newcomers to understand that in spite of the drivel spouted by the anti-gunners, nobody wants to keep guns out of the hands of criminals more than law-abiding gun-owners!

If you're going to be one of the law-abiding, it's crucial to take every precaution to prevent theft by the lawless.

:)

TFred