• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can they take your recorder away?

eye95

Please tell me the makes and models of voice recorders that require a PIN to unlock before shutting off! I'd love to get some of them.

They all share a common PIN: O-O-P-S, followed by the pressing of the crunch key.

There is no way to stop a determined officer from stopping your recording--or even "erasing" it. As I mentioned earlier, such actions by the officer will militate against his credibility and for yours when it comes down to he-said-he-said.

BaconMan

And in whom do you think a reasonable judge or jury will place more credit? The person who tried to make a record of the encounter? Or the person who tried to prevent a record from being kept?

Judges are not reasonable and a jury is made up of 12 folks with driver's licenses....no reason is required. The person in uniform just has to sound believeable and sincere regarding their actions....basically the person making the recording is.....:uhoh:....

Thundar

The odds of any one of us getting a recording, our recording, to initiate criminal proceedings against a LEO who has violated our rights and the law is microscopically small.

The odds that our recording will initiate a change in that LEOs department are far more likely. In a civil suit the odds that a payday for us is also increased. Recordings of encounters most likely will not lead to a courtroom but more likely a cash settlement. LE certainly does not want case law on the books piling up regarding amateur recordings used against ill-informed and/or under trained officers.

If you are involved in a negative encounter and have a recording that supports your "side of the story" and disproves the LEOs side of the story always get a formal letter that includes an admission of "wrong doing" and the corrective action to mitigate any future issues by the identified LEA, or you will proceed to a civil trial, if you have the money and time that is. If you don't, take the offered money, if any and run down to the nearest spy camera store and get a better recording device. Get a couple of them in case one is confiscated.

Publish the truth

...or just post to youTube and let the LEO be convicted in the court of public opinion. Philly PD perpetrators sure are smarting from the publishing of truth.

Dreamer

When you upload your recording to Youtube and the media gets ahold of it the contempt of cop charges are most likely (hopefully) dropped. The recording will then be used in your civil suit against the officer, his boss, and the city.

Unless you live in MD, in which case, they will charge you with "felony wiretapping", get a warrant, and break into your home and steal all your consumer electronics as part of the "investigation"...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/20/AR2010062002532.html

eye95

eyes95 - it has been this way for some time. You are not permitted to record anybody without their consent if you aren't the authorities. You might be able to squeak by with a silent video recording, but not audio. The "expectation of privacy" has no bearing in you recording the cops.

You may wish to research actual codes and court rulings. You are wrong.

On this site, we cite to authority. Your contentions need to have citations in law. Of course, you will not be able to find them. However, I hope that in the process of looking up scads of State laws and court rulings on "expectation of privacy," you will find out how wrong you are.

Moving on.

eye(singular)95.

OldCurlyWolf

You may wish to research actual codes and court rulings. You are wrong.

On this site, we cite to authority. Your contentions need to have citations in law. Of course, you will not be able to find them. However, I hope that in the process of looking up scads of State laws and court rulings on "expectation of privacy," you will find out how wrong you are.

Moving on.

eye(singular)95.

In his state, Illinois, they charge people with felonies for recording audio of a LEO in the performance of his duties.

They also did this in MD until the court ruling on the guy with the helmet cam on the MC and the unmarked MD LEO who pulled a weapon on him without PC.

link to a article about the incident: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/20/AR2010062002532.html

There are a few more out there that try to do the same.:cuss:

Last edited: