• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Field Report Costco, Milford

OCinCT

Went to Costco, Milford on 04/18/2011. I was OCing. I was stopped by the "front end" manager after about 5 minutes of shopping and asked if I was law enforcement. I said I was not. She asked if I was carrying a gun. I said I was. She said her employees were upset and alarmed by the fact that I was carrying. She then requested that I leave the store, but that I could return without the gun. I complied. I secured the weapon in my vehicle and went back to shop. I was still wearing an open holster. I completed my shopping and then asked to see the Manager prior to leaving the store. He was cordial. He told me that he thought guns could only be carried concealed. I advised him that was not the case in Connecticut. I gave him a copy of the CCDL pamphlet. He said he would check into the legality of open carry and would call me. Haven't heard back from him yet.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The best thing to do in these situations, I think, is to simply inform the employee that you will choose not to disarm and at the same time inform them that you are also choosing not to shop at their establishment. This way you are not supporting them taking your rights away with your hard earned money. Once you leave, call the manager and express your displeasure and then send a letter to their corporate office telling how much money they just lost.

KBCraig

Cordial outcome, but let's hope he only checks the law, and not Costco policy. Costco national policy is to forbid all guns except for active law enforcement.

KIX

Doesn't matter what the policy is per se if they don't post it on the door.

Of course, he can indeed be asked to leave, but..........

Definitely won't go there!

Jonathan

justherenow

After they caused the murder of Erik Scott in las Vegas why would anyone support Costco?

Outside of that, if I am shopping, eating or at any other place that I am spending money and am asked to disarm, I'm going to take that as them not wanting my business and will take my $ elsewhere.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

tombrewster421

Cordial outcome, but let's hope he only checks the law, and not Costco policy. Costco national policy is to forbid all guns except for active law enforcement.

The only piece of evidence to support the assumption the Costco doesn't allow carry is an email response to a question that the responder has no authority to make such decisions. Absolutely nothing can be found in writing of an actual policy that affects members. I just had my first experience with a manager asking me to leave the gun in the car. The other THREE locations I go to haven't said a word. It's the individual managers that have a problem and are trying to enforce their own policy. Most of the problem managers are getting their misguided information from the employee handbook which restricts EMPLOYEES from carrying while at work. Absolutely NO ONE has got a definitive answer from corporate and they have not implemented any policy in any writing regarding membership rules. I asked the manager to provide me with something in writing and he said he would try to find it online. When he FAILED, he gave me the number to corporate so I could call them. I'll post back after I call. Hopefully they will actually make a clear policy that anyone can find one way or the other.