Thread: OC Field Report Costco, Milford

OC Field Report Costco, Milford

Went to Costco, Milford on 04/18/2011. I was OCing. I was stopped by the "front end" manager after about 5 minutes of shopping and asked if I was law enforcement. I said I was not. She asked if I was carrying a gun. I said I was. She said her employees were upset and alarmed by the fact that I was carrying. She then requested that I leave the store, but that I could return without the gun. I complied. I secured the weapon in my vehicle and went back to shop. I was still wearing an open holster. I completed my shopping and then asked to see the Manager prior to leaving the store. He was cordial. He told me that he thought guns could only be carried concealed. I advised him that was not the case in Connecticut. I gave him a copy of the CCDL pamphlet. He said he would check into the legality of open carry and would call me. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Let us know if you hear from him.

Although, I think with everything else a Store Manager has on his plate, this may be a low priority item.
    Last edited by Douglas in CT; 04-23-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Could you please call me or email me with more details?

Ph: 203.208.9577
    Email: rich@masterplansoftware.com

I want to get in contact and clear this up as a third party, need at least the names of who you talked to if you have it.

The best thing to do in these situations, I think, is to simply inform the employee that you will choose not to disarm and at the same time inform them that you are also choosing not to shop at their establishment. This way you are not supporting them taking your rights away with your hard earned money. Once you leave, call the manager and express your displeasure and then send a letter to their corporate office telling how much money they just lost.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Cordial outcome, but let's hope he only checks the law, and not Costco policy. Costco national policy is to forbid all guns except for active law enforcement.

Doesn't matter what the policy is per se if they don't post it on the door.

Of course, he can indeed be asked to leave, but..........

Definitely won't go there!

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

After they caused the murder of Erik Scott in las Vegas why would anyone support Costco?

Outside of that, if I am shopping, eating or at any other place that I am spending money and am asked to disarm, I'm going to take that as them not wanting my business and will take my $ elsewhere.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

Did you ever hear anything back on this?

Never heard anything back from the store management.

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Cordial outcome, but let's hope he only checks the law, and not Costco policy. Costco national policy is to forbid all guns except for active law enforcement.
    The only piece of evidence to support the assumption the Costco doesn't allow carry is an email response to a question that the responder has no authority to make such decisions. Absolutely nothing can be found in writing of an actual policy that affects members. I just had my first experience with a manager asking me to leave the gun in the car. The other THREE locations I go to haven't said a word. It's the individual managers that have a problem and are trying to enforce their own policy. Most of the problem managers are getting their misguided information from the employee handbook which restricts EMPLOYEES from carrying while at work. Absolutely NO ONE has got a definitive answer from corporate and they have not implemented any policy in any writing regarding membership rules. I asked the manager to provide me with something in writing and he said he would try to find it online. When he FAILED, he gave me the number to corporate so I could call them. I'll post back after I call. Hopefully they will actually make a clear policy that anyone can find one way or the other.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!