• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kel Tec 380

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
SIGdude hit it on the head. It'll work if need be. I read once that the #1 caliber for the mob hit men was the measly 22 LR, and they do all right. I second the motion that I wouldn't want to get shot with a .380. I wonder if the "experts" that are putting out all of the data are watching too many Steven Segall movies! I know he can take a couple in the guts from a .380 and keep on coming, but I gotta believe he's the exception to the rule.

and the 22's the Mob uses are suppressed & they put two rounds behind the ear at point blank range.... A bullet behind the ear will turn anyone off like a light switch..

I won't ever consider using anything less than a 9mm +p Hollow point or a 38 Special +p hollow point for defensive or offensive purposes.. I mean the object is to nullify the threat correct ??!

Last edited:

WD57

The point is there is no reason, other than preference, to use .380. There are other platforms, just as compact, that chamber 9mm and .40 S&W. Kahr Mk9 and MK40, CM9 and CM40, Rohrbaugh 9mm, Kimber Solo 9mm.....

The guns listed above are about half to twice as heavy to carry as the approx. 9 oz. Kel-tec 380 and Ruger LCP. I prefer the Ruger reliability.

oak1971

The guns listed above are about half to twice as heavy to carry as the approx. 9 oz. Kel-tec 380 and Ruger LCP. I prefer the Ruger reliability.

You are right. If weight is an issue, it's hard to beat a polymer 380. I was spooked by my Keltech P3AT self destructing and the safety recalls on the Ruger.

The Sig 238 is decent compromise in a 380. Guess that's why they sell like hotcakes.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I have a P3AT and I really like it. But:

My research suggested that there was a 50/50 chance of getting one that was a dud or a beauty. The duds were prone to jamming and the others performed reliably. If that's true count me among the fortunate, because mine has been 100% reliable so far, with not a single malfunction.

This gun is tiny, and even though it is shooting .380 rounds, it stings more than any .40 larger gun I've fired. To make matters worse, the finish-- if that's what you can call it-- is extremely rough. Sharp edges are all over and it is painful to shoot many rounds. Your fingers will get chewed up. Shooting an entire box of 50 rounds in one session leaves me more sore than 200 rounds of .44 magnum. Fortunately since these edges are plastic one may easily file the edges smoother, perhaps resulting in less injury.

The sights are very rudimentary. However I found my P3AT to be amazingly accurate within reasonable distances for this gun-- around 15 - 20 feet.

The trigger pull is fairly heavy and gritty, but this isn't intended to be a target pistol. And when used in combat one isn't going to be offering a critique of the trigger on this gun-- the only valid critique would be whether it went "bang" with each pull of the trigger.

The gun is extremely comfortable to carry. It's not really an OC gun. It's more of a pocket gun. Even in a shirt pocket it's easy to forget you have it on you. I consider it a deep cover or BUG.

Re: "stopping power" shot placement is far more an deciding factor in general. A well-placed .380 has more stopping power than a poorly-placed .357 magnum. This gun is intended for very-close up work. Most shootings occur close up. Despite the very simple sights, at the intended distances one isn't likely going to have the luxury of even using the sights, which would simply slow you down trying to acquire them.

I certainly would not choose this gun with the intention of finding something that's "more comfortable to shoot" than a .40. It's more comfortable to carry, but not more comfortable to shoot. If your wife wants a lighter gun and less recoil than a .40, then maybe consider something like a S&W Airlite with .38's in it, or a medium frame .380 like the CZ83 or a perhaps a Makarov. Also think about the actual .40 ammo she's tried. .40 S&W comes in a wide range from mild to really hot stuff. Shooting Magtech Guardian Gold makes a .40 feel like you're shooting a magnum, whereas lighter loads make it feel like a standard velocity 9mm.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP The .380 with gold dots will more than amply kill just about any soft target you engage within the distances we are talking.

In the context of a P3AT, I'm not so sure. The velocity out of that little 2-3/4" barrel (which includes the chamber) is going to suffer. I'm thinking there is likely insufficient speed to open hollow-points.

Wait, not necessarily true. I take that back. Check this out:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26_2.htm

tomm1963

I own one

My wife will not shoot it because the recoil rips your hand up. It is such a skinny little bugger that recoil jams into the crouch of your thumb like wham. I only am comfortable shooting about 18 rounds at a time then my hand needs a break.

It was also a pain to get running right . Out of the box it had failure to eject and failure to feed probs. Go to KTOG.ORG. Search for "fluff and buff" and "rampectomy". That solved my FTF probs. FTE was caused by the ejector spring nut loosening, common prob too, lock tight fixed that. Peening was another prob. The hole on the slide where the rod goes through begins to fatigue peen and the whole spring and rod will shoot out the front of the gun. There was a guy on KTOG that was selling tiny nylon washers that fixed the prob. So after a few months of screwing with it I finally do trust the weapon. It cycles properly now. This is a great conceal gun, tiny. But if you are thinking little gun, little bang. You'd be wrong

As for stopping power. Well I wouldn't want to get shot by it.

Kel Tec makes the same gun in .32 which has much better reviews and is supposedly more lady friendly.
Good luck.

Captain Nemo

Strange people in the gun world. Same as the car world. I have heard and read words negative to the Kel-Tec, although I have heard praises also. However in some cases those people no-no ing the Kel-Tec praise the Ruger LCP to the heavens high. The Ruger LCP is essentially a clone of the Kel-Tec as also is the Taurus equivalent. Check it out. I don't have any dislikes about the modern semi-autos. Nearly all of them are very reliable but in my wife's case I selcted a Charter Arms light weight hammerless revolver in .38special. I did so for the following reasons. My wife is very firearms ignorant. She doesn't understand all the working parts and terminology as most onthis forum do. She is a fair shot and understands the basic functions but when the rubber hits the road she will need a weapon that doesn't hang up when she pulls it out of her purse (if she can find it that is) and a weapon that she can just start pulling the trigger without concern with functioning. A stove pipe or misfire in a semi-auto would take her
"out of the fight" instantly. With a revolver she just keeps pulling the trigger. If she has a misfire she just goes to the next chamber in the cylinder. The Ruger LCR would e another good choice although I feel it is over-priced.

The following is a link to a report I have previously posted. It contains much valuable information concerning "stopping power".

http://www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/terminal.html

Serpent

"but in my wife's case I selcted a Charter Arms light weight hammerless revolver in .38special. I did so for the following reasons. My wife is very firearms ignorant. "

I have learned that I should not try to teach my wife much of anything. I'm too close to
the situation, and she learns better from someone else. My selection of a gun for her would likely not be hers...
I sent her and one of her friends to the NRA Women on target course. She had some preconcieved notions that I wasn't going to be able to change. They learned the basic safety rules and how various types of firearms function on the first day. On the second, they were able to try out a WIDE variety of handguns to see which fit them best, and which they could shoot best.
I assumed she would pick a .380 or small 9mm. (if she even finished the class). She came home with a shopping list that included at the top, a stainless SW 686 .357 with a 6" barrel! She also wanted a SW .44 mag, a Browning .22, a Glock 27, and a SW bodyguard in both .380 and 38spl... Almost forgot the AR-15!
We have since gotten her 4 of the guns on her wish list, she is a good enough shot that I'll never pi** her off again, and I need a second job to feed our (now mutual) habit!!

I have created a monster, be careful what you wish for...:eek:

Vandil

I have plans on purchasing an Kel Tec 380 pistol for my wife. She needs something smaller and lighter as she can not handle recoil of a 40 cal. My plans are for her using this for CC if this law ever passes. I have read good reports, but have never shot one of these. I assume the recoil is less than a 9 mil. Any negative comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.
Many thanks

One of the guys I went to the range with last had one brand new. 15rnds later it slammed open and locked with the hammer at half cock. Then wouldn't return to battery he had to pound it forward. Machining was off near the barrel\return spring on the slide.

Personally thought my S&W Bodyguard 380 was a nicer gun.

flb_78

The KelTec P3AT and the Ruger LCP have a lot of recoil. I've owned both. I currently have a LCP with a Crimson Trace on it. It's also loaded with Hornady Critical Defense FTX ammo. I have no worries about it's stopping power.

I prefer the LCP over the P3AT because of the slide lock.