Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meet and Greet?

UPDATE: Meet and Greet? (Aftermath)

Howdy Folks!
    I don't want to be presumptuous, or appear uppity, but got to wondering about a "meet and greet" for some of us folks in Colorado to get together for an OC gathering.

I'm a people sort of guy and like to meet folks with similar interests. While I am brand spanking new to this forum, it may be a bit premature for me to be suggesting a meet and greet, but I'd surely enjoy a gathering of some sort.

Perhaps a picnic at a local park someplace? Everybody bring their grub along, maybe a grill or two, and bring along the families?

Would anybody be interested in this suggestion?

Again, I don't want to presume on the forum members, but would like to see if folks might enjoy a gathering of some sort. I am totally open to suggestions and would be happy to arrange something if there is any interest.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Last edited by M-Taliesin; 05-08-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Getting us Colo. OCers together for a meet-and-greet is, for some reason, more difficult than other states...but at least a few usually show up.

Pick a date, time, and a place and get the ball rolling.

My g/f and I probably won't attend unless it's in the Colorado Springs area, gas prices being what they are...but you never know.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

I would be interested, however any weekend plans are extremely difficult for me to commit to without a couple weeks notice.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PikesPeakMtnMan View Post
    Getting us Colo. OCers together for a meet-and-greet is, for some reason, more difficult than other states...but at least a few usually show up.
    We're big geographically and the forum members spread out. There's a sizeable contingent in CO Springs, but they have like, lives or something

I'd say just pick a time in place, preferably a couple weeks in advance and at least one or two will show up. Here's my tips that I've posted a few times.

1) Pick a venue. Someplace you like. Someplace that's OC friendly. Someplace you want to support. Someplace more than 1000' from a school (check google maps) to avoid any argument. I'm a fan of locally owned and operated venues that are friendly to everyone.

2) Scout them. If you haven't OC'd there. Go have a meal. Behave like a good customer who's a good citizen who just happens to be OCing. Be nice to the staff. Take your family. TIP WELL and SMILE.

3) If things are going well, ask for a manager/owner.SMILE. Introduce yourself. Get his or her name.Hopefully he's seen your weapon by this point. Let him know you're setting up a get together for a large group of friends and you want to know if they can be accomodated (10 to 20 is a good number). Reaffirm thatyou expect they'll be carrying andif that's okay.

I admit that I wussed out a couple of times and said, "My shooting friendswho might be coming straight from the range." What? Don't look at me that way. It wasn't a lie. They all shoot and they MIGHT be straight from the range. Younever know.

4) Post it in advance enough for people to mark their calendars. Don't ask what date works for people. You'll get 500 different answers and then once you pick it, 90% of them will have a reason it doesn't work. Pick it, and let people who want to be there make a point of it.

5) Closer to the time, ask for a headcount. You'll get some yeses and some maybes. You just need a rough number, but as close to accurate as you can be.

6) Call the restaurant, or better yet, visit and OC. If you can speak with either your waiter from before or the manager, the better. Make the reservation (if they take them) and confirm they'll have room for you.

7) HAVE A GOOD TIME! Your goal is to meet other friendly OCers who are nice people and represent us well. Not have 5 grumpy old men mistreating the waitstaff and complaining loudly about the food.

8) Be prepared for sheeple. It's inevitable. Meet the dirty looks with a SMILE. Don't let their problems be yours.

9) Be prepared to leave. If things go south and the manager says to put away the guns or leave, it's their property. Don't make a scene. Don't quote laws at him. Just acknowledge that it's private property and so is your wallet, which you'll be taking elsewhere.

10) Be prepared for LEO contact. It's not a given, but it happens. Know that OC is legal. SMILE. Acknowledge that you're on private property and if the management doesn't want you there, you will leave. Know that it's the manager's decision, not the LEO's. But don't be confrontational about it.

11) Or you can just pick a Starbucks and skip everything but steps 4, 7, and 8.
    Last edited by mahkagari; 04-23-2011 at 11:41 PM.

A Tip of the Stetson

Howdy Mahkagari!
    Thank you for an excellent plan of action that I can use to arrange a meet and greet. That's going to prove useful for me, and I surely do appreciate your taking the time and effort to post this.

I was considering a date in mid May so that there will be time to arrange things. But considering the preplanning (contacting a local establishment and paving the way) might take a bit longer, so my thinking is June might be better.

In any event, you've given me some great info here and I'll be working on putting something together. Once I get my ducks arranged in a linear mode, I'll post about it in another thread.

My primary motivation in this thread was to determine level of interest. I sorta don't want to be the only guy to show up! LOL!

Thanks again for a terrific plan of action, and I surely do appreciate your sharing.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by Lokster View Post
    I would be interested, however any weekend plans are extremely difficult for me to commit to without a couple weeks notice.
    Howdy Lokster!
    I would be aiming at sometime in June. Hopefully, with information that Mahkagari provided, the planning phase will pass smoothly. But I also want to provide ample lead time for folks to plan on attending the event.

I should note that I've never tried to do something of this ilk, but never having tried is no excuse not to take it up. I'm going to check out a few things and hope to get something organized in the next couple of weeks. Then I'll post details for everybody. Bear in mind, I hope to have plenty of planning accomplished for a June date so there will be ample lead time for those who might like to attend.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Thumbs up

Excellent

What area are you in Taliesin? Any idea which city you might be looking at?

Unless there is something truly spectacular going on elsewhere (going to visit the daughter) you can count me in for almost anywhere.

Pick a date.

As long as it is in my predetermined 4 square block area I'll be there.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

I am new to Colorado, but would be up for a meet n greet somewhere in the Denver metro area or a location between Co. Springs and Denver. Name the time and place early though, and post directions for those of us unfamiliar with the area.

We should do it in Castle Rock!

Ok, here it is: IHOP 1811, Thursday, May 5, 2011, at 8:30 am

CHANGE 1: SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2011, AT 8:30 AM

IHOP #1811
    512 N Chelton Road

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80909-5218
    719-632 5098

Reason 1: They were robbed at gunpoint last year. Within a week or two later, I called them to set up an OC meet in support of their position in the community against crime. They not only said ok, they gave us a 15% discount on all food ordered! Don't know if they'll do the same this year, but I will call them and ask. If they do so, fine, but let's not insisten on it. Way bad juju.

Reason 2: It's just down the road from Dragonman's range, where for less than $10 you get to practice all day!

I'm going to set a date, come hell or high water, as it's been three months since my last practice date, so I have to hit the range: Saturday, May 7, 2011, starting at 8:30 at IHOP. If you would like to hit the range, just show up there around 10:00 am at the range. I'll be the guy with the pony tail and either the black fuzzy or the yellow jacket, depending on the weather.

If you hear pop-pop-pop-pop etc. it's because I'm fine-tuning some rough edges in my training regime.

Not at IHOP, though! Perhaps spattering of eggs or bacon, that's it! Just some good times with others from the forum.

- since9

See here for Dragonman's range rules.
    Last edited by since9; 05-05-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

A week day morning meet is not good for me since I work at 8am in Denver.

If we do a weekend meet I can most likely make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Live View Post
    A week day morning meet is not good for me since I work at 8am in Denver.
    OMG! When did they start making a 8 am?

Change 1: Saturday, may 7, 2011, at 8:30 am

Quote Originally Posted by Half Live View Post
    A week day morning meet is not good for me...

If we do a weekend meet I can most likely make it.
    I'd hoped to avoid the weekend crowds, but you've a good point, as most of us do work regular weekly hours. Saturday it is.

Why 8:30 am? I'm meeting with my Bible study group tomorrow at 6:15 am, so no more throwing peanuts from the peanut gallery!

Seriously, two reasons: It's not that early, yet it's early enough that we're there at Dragonman's when it opens.

A group of about 12 of us met there last year, and it worked out well.
    Last edited by since9; 04-29-2011 at 12:55 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Can't make this one since I'll be in school but I hope everyone else has fun.
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

Cool Sure!

So 8:30 AM next Saturday, my 1911 and I will be there, on the condition we can go shooting afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikesa View Post
    So 8:30 AM next Saturday, my 1911 and I will be there, on the condition we can go shooting afterwards.
    Howdy Amigo!
    I've been somewhat distracted with the various demands of life in general. However, I was thinking about a weekend (probably a Saturday) sometime in June. I want to give sufficient advance notice before posting a date and time.

However, I have a membership at a local range and would enjoy putting a few rounds downrange if you're interested!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    CHANGE 1: SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2011, AT 8:30 AM

IHOP #1811
    512 N Chelton Road

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO 80909-5218
    719-632 5098

Reason 1: They were robbed at gunpoint last year. Within a week or two later, I called them to set up an OC meet in support of their position in the community against crime. They not only said ok, they gave us a 15% discount on all food ordered! Don't know if they'll do the same this year, but I will call them and ask. If they do so, fine, but let's not insisten on it. Way bad juju.

Reason 2: It's just down the road from Dragonman's range, where for less than $10 you get to practice all day!

I'm going to set a date, come hell or high water, as it's been three months since my last practice date, so I have to hit the range: Thursday, May 5, 2011, starting at 8:30 at IHOP. If you would like to hit the range, just show up there around 10:00 am at the range. I'll be the guy with the pony tail and either the black fuzzy or the yellow jacket, depending on the weather.

If you hear pop-pop-pop-pop etc. it's because I'm fine-tuning some rough edges in my training regime.

Not at IHOP, though! Perhaps spattering of eggs or bacon, that's it! Just some good times with others from the forum.

- since9

See here for Dragonman's range rules.
    Howdy Pard!
    I'd love to show up there and join you on the range.
    I'm a bit confused though as to whether you're talking the 5th or 7th?
    Is it still going to happen at IHOP?
    This will be an OC meet-up?

Please respond so I can plan to visit the Springs.

Thanks,
    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Last edited by M-Taliesin; 04-30-2011 at 01:26 PM.

So...we are meeting next Saturday at IHOP, then going shooting?

M-Taliesin, I see you live in Aurora. I'd love to get together sometime, and live in Englewood.

Going to C-Springs is an exception for me, because of the distance and cost of gas, but I want to meet ya'll as it's good to have friends who enjoy guns and carrying.
    Last edited by Ilikesa; 04-30-2011 at 11:26 PM.

As usual, it is a tentative yes for me. It all depends on how my schedule looks, and I won't know that until Friday. Hopefully I'll have a new gun in tow as well, but we shall see. If I don't make it, I hope you all have fun.

Also, I may just make the range time.

Unfortunately I'll have to miss this one. I will be at work starting at 5 that morning. maybe next time.

Count me In!

Howdy Pard!
    Okay... I will be there!
    Looking forward to it!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

Quote Originally Posted by M-Taliesin View Post
    Howdy Amigo!
    I've been somewhat distracted with the various demands of life in general. However, I was thinking about a weekend (probably a Saturday) sometime in June. I want to give sufficient advance notice before posting a date and time.
    We can always do both.

I'd like to make the IHOP, but I'd planned to go to BRC for their public range day, I have a lodge brother's college graduation/homebrew party, and I'm performing with my Aztec dance troupe at Longmont's Cinco de Mayo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast