• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Around These Parts!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I am a new member to the forum and thought I'd drop in to introduce myself.

I live in Aurora, Colorado. Lived in Colorado Springs for quite awhile, and suffered 2 burglaries on my home there. Those incidents leave you feeling vulnerable and violated in a most disturbing way. But in my job, I drive most of the time in Brighton and Aurora for customer interaction. During one such customer visit, I was robbed at gunpoint by a thug who stepped out of shadows and pointed a pistol in my face as he demanded the money I carried. He got it and demanded my car keys. I handed them over and he threw them as far as he could in the darkness and fled on foot. This all brings me to my decision to obtain a weapon and carry it with me in the future. Being the victim is real unpleasant, and I have elected to learn better to protect myself and my family. That's one reason why I've become part of this forum.

Now I have 3 pistols and bought one for my wife. We have been to the local pistol range and have a membership there. We expect soon to take training from a professional with both state and federal certification who is also a sheriff's deputy. My wife and I are both mature adults, professionals in our chosen fields, and approach the whole subject of firearms ownership and carrying weapons with a dedicated focus to responsible and safe conduct in our personal defense. My pard and bosom companion also shares our home and he also has several pistols. In fact, he got us started on our own interest in home and personal defense.

Oddly enough, what started out as something we felt necessary for our protection has blossomed into something of a hobby. My wife and I enjoy visiting the range simply for the fun of shooting, along with an eye toward skill development. That's another thing my pardner got me started on and we sometimes go together to the range for an afternoon or evening of shooting.

My pard and me are also both fond of metal detecting, and that was the original motivation for us coming together. We became best of friends and spend as much time together hunting gold and silver all over the metro areas of Aurora, Denver, Brighton, Lakewood, Littleton, etc, etc. It has been our good fortune to find plenty of gold and silver, and we manage nicely to bolster our income with the treasures we manage to find.

Eventually we'll get our CC permits but will likely continue to open carry at various times and places. I've just experienced my first day of OC in Aurora, and you can see how that went in the Colorado board on this forum.

I refer to myself as a late bloomer, being official in my geezerdom and only now starting to develop an interest in personal defense. I hope to add a CCW permit to my AARP card and expect to continue training even after the permit is in my wallet.

As for my personal traits, I am outgoing, friendly, humorous and enjoy meeting people. I write for enjoyment, play guitar for amusement, and work with diligence. With a deep and abiding personal spirituality that I don't feel compelled to impose on others, my approach to life is laid back and relaxed. My biggest vice is probably movies, and I am an avid viewer of an ecclectic array of different types of movies. Sure, action/adventure and sci-fi are high on my list, as is horror, but I am also fond of comedy, musicals, westerns and classics. Most of all, I love campy movies like Mars Attacks and Idiocracy. My favorite movie of all time is Cannibal, the Musical, created by Trey Parker and Matt Stone (of South Park fame) which recounts the exploits of Alferd Packer who is something of a legend in Colorado. My sense of humor is somewhat warped, and I'll be first to admit that one!

Well, as introductions go, that was pretty extensive!

And I just want to leave you with this last question:
How does one carry while visiting a nudist park?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

You are aware that AARP is anti gun.

Howdy Jeeper!
No, I was not aware of that. Hmmmm. That'll make a huge difference come time to re-enroll! I find that displeasing to an extreme.

Thank you for enlightening me.
Information I can use!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO. I lived for some time in Aurora while stationed at the former Lowry AFB. We left in 1986, but my sister bought my house from me and still lives there. I have great memories of the area.

Congratulations on your decisions to carry and to enjoy the hobby as well.