• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Membership vs Admission

rotorhead

Are places that require a paid membership (such as a gym) considered no carry zones because of admission?

I would think not because I think the statute names events, not places, where admission is charged. Paying for a gym club membership would be different than paying admission for an event at the gym.

rotorhead

so would going to see a movie be considered an "event" (yes i know for some it would)

I believe going to see movies fall under the statute, making it illegal to do so while carrying a weapon, if the movie has an admission charge, that is.

Even some events which do not charge admission are covered too, btw, such as parades, funerals, etc.

But the basic rule of thumb is that if you had to pay money to get in, your gun cannot go in with you. Not sure if parties on private property with some drunk dude passing the hat around for more beer counts though :)

aosailor

But the basic rule of thumb is that if you had to pay money to get in, your gun cannot go in with you. Not sure if parties on private property with some drunk dude passing the hat around for more beer counts though :)

what if I if I pay for my gun too? I wonder if that could be used for a loophole??? lol

mekender

I believe going to see movies fall under the statute, making it illegal to do so while carrying a weapon, if the movie has an admission charge, that is.

Even some events which do not charge admission are covered too, btw, such as parades, funerals, etc.

I have actually speculated that in cases like movie theaters you might be legally in the right to carry in the common areas outside of the actual theaters since you do not have to pay admission to just enter the premises, only to see a movie.

I dont want to be the guy that puts that to the test though by spending half a year's pay on legal fees.

Dreamer

I would think not because I think the statute names events, not places, where admission is charged. Paying for a gym club membership would be different than paying admission for an event at the gym.

So why doesn't anyone get arrested for carrying to an indoor range in NC. They charge admission fees, and they are NOT specifically exempted in the statute...

I don't think people at ranges SHOULD get arrested, I'm just pointing out how STUPID this law is, and how it is being selectively (and illegally) enforced for political expediency...

rotorhead

So why doesn't anyone get arrested for carrying to an indoor range in NC. They charge admission fees, and they are NOT specifically exempted in the statute...

I don't think people at ranges SHOULD get arrested, I'm just pointing out how STUPID this law is, and how it is being selectively (and illegally) enforced for political expediency...

I agree. That's always been an excellent example of the double standard with some of NC's idiotic gun laws.

The only real legalese hair-splitting I could possibly do with that example is that you're not paying an "admission" to go see a shooting event involving some trick shooting act (which would be illegal), you're actually paying a "fee" to go do the shooting yourself.

merc460

The ranges I go to call it "Renting a lane", so it is different (I would think). You can hang out in the lobby all day long, but have to "rent" a lane if you want to shoot.

Last edited:

rotorhead

You can carry at guns shows, unloaded and secured but carrying after paying admission..

Isn't that only if you plan on selling the gun there? I've heard something about this but failed to search further about it.

If it's just for carry, I'll have to pass. An unloaded and "secured" weapon is nothing more than tying a fancy brick around my waist and walking around with it. My gut serves that role already :)

mekender

The ranges I go to call it "Renting a lane", so it is different (I would think). You can hang out in the lobby all day long, but have to "rent" a lane if you want to shoot.

That is similar to movie theaters, you are paying to see the movie, not paying to walk into the lobby.

edrolee

i think there are 2 points on that law that need clarification (although i doubt we'll ever get it outside of a judge's decision)

what is an assembly? and what is an admission fee?

i think we can probably all agree that a theme park such as carowinds or tweetsie railroad is an assembly of people gathered for a common cause (having fun) and there is an admission fee charged same for concerts and for inside of the screening room of a theater

BUT how bout on a golf course on a regular (non-tourny) day? is there a fee charged? for non members yes but the fee is to play the game not for admission is it an assembly? well how do you define an assembly? is a foursome playing golf an assembly? very very seldom would more than 4 people be in a knot on a golf course (usualy except prep, teeing off, and putting there are only 2 people within 100 feet of each other)

bowling alleys could be considered an assembly but there is no "admission fee" there is a fee to play but not to get in the door, you could go and sit all day without spending a dollar

guided hunting parties? that one is sticky if it's more than 3 or 4 folks including the guide it could be called an assembly so i guess the question of the fee is the important part here... does the guide charge someone if they just want to come along and watch and not hunt? if so then the fee is for admission to the hunt if not then the fee is to shoot not admission

so looking at the way the law is written it looks like it would be legal to carry anyplace that you can enter for free (that isn't otherwise prohibited)

breaking down the 2 criteria in the law admission fee AND assembly if it doesn't meet both one should be good

based on that i would think that you could for example carry on a golf course (i've never been to a course that charged an admission fee just greens fees) not that i would want a 3lb chunk of steel on my hip while swinging my club (on my bag maybe)

i don't know i'm probably wrong, i'm certainly not a lawyer or offering legal advice just spit-balling ideas

mekender

How about carrying in a taxi? Is the fee to ride an "admission"?

Would a posted sign on a taxi even be legally binding? Is a taxi a premises?

What about one of those party buses where alcohol is served? It is sold as part of the rental, would that be sold for consumption on the premises?

Last edited:

edrolee

i think a taxi, unless posted would be legal b/c it's not an assembly (unless there are a boat load of you such as i did many times in college)

party bus though would be very iffy if it's an open bar then maybe not but it could be construed as an assembly since there are usually 20+ people on those things

so my guess is:
party buss = illegal
Taxi = legal (unless posted)

but like i said before i don't know nothing

papa bear

kind of reminds me of discussing the rules in the in "Gremlins 2"

basically it is a stupid law, that needs to be change let the business decide if they want to discriminate or not. if they don't want my money they can tell me not to come in.

rotorhead

Concerning golf courses and bowling alleys, many if not most of them are places which sell and serve alcohol, so you might be toast in those places.

Which brings up even more stupid questions like is the entire golf course considered an establishment which sells and serves alcohol or just the bar area? Same for bowling areas...?

The more you dive into NC gun laws the more idiotic and vague they get lol. :)

mekender

Concerning golf courses and bowling alleys, many if not most of them are places which sell and serve alcohol, so you might be toast in those places.

Which brings up even more stupid questions like is the entire golf course considered an establishment which sells and serves alcohol or just the bar area? Same for bowling areas...?

It gets even more fun... In the case of a private course, it would be assumed that you can drink and drive the cart at will... But on a public course, would not DUI laws apply? Even in both cases, what about crossing onto public streets in a golf cart while intoxicated? How do open container laws not apply if you have an open beer in the cart when you cross a public street?

Last edited: