• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to oc... A few questions

Dan n9ne

Im new to the forum and new to open carry, I have been reading about oc a lot lately. I recently decided to exercise my right to oc because I was at little caesars in roy the other day and a gentleman had his sidearm and I decided to ask him some questions about it since I had been considering open carrying. He said I definately should. I said that to say this; my father, whom by the way is a retired police officer, saw me with my sidearm on my hip in a holster and freaked out saying that if I were to get stopped for any reason when the officer sees that I have a gun on my hip I would be "ripped out of my vehicle and thrown to the ground" and im just asking for trouble. I can handle dirty looks or curious people and being asked to leave places, but im not so sure law enforcement officers can legally "rip me out of my vehicle and throw me to the ground" for open carrying, nor do I want them to. I open carrief yesterday at kents in roy yesterday without a problem, if anyone has advice for me about this or places in my area (weber/davis counties) let me know. Thanks

HKcarrier

If you have been reading up you would know that you MUST have a CPL to carry AT ALL in a vehicle.

If you have been reading up, you would know that there are many places that you MUST have a CPL in order to open carry or carry AT ALL. Any place with a liquor license for example... and not just a place that sells. Speedway has a blanket liquor license, but not all locations sell. Open carry w/o CPL at speedway is a FELONY. Even just in the parking lot.

You better be sure you know what you are doing if you are going to OC.

That said, you have your CPL, right?

You have an audio or video recorder that you have RECORDING at all times when you OC, right?

I've been researching this for 4.5 months, and I have open carried ONE time. IMMENSE research needs to be done in order to be sure you're going to avoid trouble.

Welcome to OCDO. Carry on!

Edit: I also just noticed you're in UTAH... for some reason I was thinking I was in the MICHIGAN section... for which I was quoting laws.. you MUST get VERY familiar with the UTAH laws with regards to OC.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Utah

First I suggest you go to the Utah forum and find out about laws for Utah. If OC is legal, no they can't "rip you out of you're vehicle". However check you're laws, in WA we can OC locked and loaded, but require a Concealed Pistol License to get in the car without unloading. I have not had any person or LEO give me a hard time even once. I think it's about how you conduct yourself. I'm fairly polite mellow person by nature, but find myself more polite when OCing so that the public has a better perception that we are not just "gun crazies".
Carry on, and do some research to educate your father and others that wanting to defend yourself and family is your right.

I use this analogy: Do you have smoke detectors? Yes, then why? Just in case. Same for a gun, I don't plan on shooting anybody, but just in case. I've been in the military for over 20 years, and have never pointed a gun at somebody. Stand up for your legal rights.

Dan n9ne

I live in utah and there are no laws that say I cant open carry, hell in utah you can own fully automatic weapons, gun laws here are very relaxed. I would just like a little reassurance that police officers cant just rough me up for exercising my constitutional right, and if they do what can I do about it.

hermannr

It sounds like you need to educate your retired LEO father. Read your Utah State laws, respectfully point the pertinent sections to your father, and have a good discussion. (BTW: was you father a retired LEO from NYC or Chicago...Philly?)

Are their some LEOs with oversized egos that would do what he said? Yes, it has happened, but it is illegal for that LEO to do so, and he might end up without a job if he does. Things like he is speaking about are more for places like NYC or Chicago, not rural Utah.

Also, if you are open carrying, and have any contact with law enforcement, be polite and you will be fine.

snatale42

It sounds like you need to educate your retired LEO father. Read your Utah State laws, respectfully point the pertinent sections to your father, and have a good discussion. (BTW: was you father a retired LEO from NYC or Chicago...Philly?)

Are their some LEOs with oversized egos that would do what he said? Yes, it has happened, but it is illegal for that LEO to do so, and he might end up without a job if he does. Things like he is speaking about are more for places like NYC or Chicago, not rural Utah.

Also, if you are open carrying, and have any contact with law enforcement, be polite and you will be fine.

I just looked up UT in my travelers guide and it says OC is prohibited in most places...can that be right? The most "Famous" state to get a permit in against OC? I will say I have the 2010 not the 2011 but still

Last edited: