• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proposed open carry ban sparks protest - La Canada Valley Sun

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
A group of gun rights activists took to the busy streets of Old Pasadena on Thursday with pistols at their hips in protest of a proposed statewide ban on the open carry of firearms.

Assemblyman Anthony Portantino (D – La Cañada Flintridge) is author of a bill backed by the California Police Chiefs Association that would make it illegal for gun owners to openly display unloaded firearms in public places.

Such public showings of unloaded weapons are permitted under current state law, which also allows gun holders to carry ammunition separately on their person.

Pasadena police reported no incidents or arrests during the early evening parade along Colorado Boulevard, where about 30 supporters of the gun rights advocacy group South Bay Open Carry gathered.

Across the street, Portantino joined a counter-demonstration organized by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence that also included the NAACP Pasadena Branch, the Violence Prevention Council of Greater Los Angeles and members of the Pasadena All Saints Episcopal Church.

“Though these activists have every right to make their point, I think it’s actually helping [our] case because people can see it’s a little over the top. You don’t need a weapon to buy a cheeseburger,” said Portantino, whose district office is nearwhere the pro-gun demonstrators gathered.

Gene McCarthy, president of South Bay Open Carry, argued the law would effectively eliminate Californians’ Second Amendment rights.

“If you can’t get a concealed weapon permit and you can’t open carry, then you can’t do anything. That leaves people in danger,” McCarthy said.

The proposed ban is expected to face a vote of the Assembly’s Appropriations Committee as early as May, after which it would go to the Assembly floor.

“Basically, we’re making a statement to protect our right to bear arms,” said open carry activist and Ontario resident Leighanne Nickle. “It’s unlawful for me to carry a concealed weapon, so I have to choose what’s lawful for me at the moment. It makes me feel safe as a woman.”

Following the demonstration, open carry activists found themselves unwelcome at several area restaurants, where window signs provided by the Brady Campaign declared some establishments gun-free zones.

Though gun owners who openly carry their weapons must keep them unloaded, McCarthy said they aren’t sitting ducks against those who would illegally carry loaded, concealed weapons.

“I can probably load this in about two-and-a-half seconds,” he said of the pistol he carried.

This is troubling to NAACP Pasadena Branch President Joe Brown.

“If they really want to find out what goes on when you start carrying handguns, then go up into a crime-ridden area,” said Brown. In parts of nearby Northwest Pasadena or other places affected by gang violence, he said, “you’d probably only make it about a block. A police officer would take you down or somebody would open fire on you.”

Conversely, he added: “I don’t know what would happen if a group of African Americans came over to South Bay to do this same type of thing.”

Nearly all the demonstrators were white.

In addition to the California Police Chiefs Association, the Peace Officers Research Association of California and the Los Angeles City Council support Portantino’s proposed open carry ban.

Suzanne Verge, an organizer with the Brady Campaign’s Los Angeles chapter, complained that the open carry group’s use of Portantino’s image on an Old West-style “wanted” poster was reminiscent of campaign literature targeting Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D – Arizona) before a gunman shot her and killed six others in January.

“I think it’s reckless,” Verge said.

Portantino introduced his open carry legislation a week after the Giffords shooting.

A previous version of the bill by former San Diego Democratic Assemblywoman Lori Saldaña passed the Legislature last year but did not reach the governor’s desk before the legislative session expired.

I may be an 'armchair quarterback' since I do not organize these large meetings, do not regularly interact with the media and was not present at this function. Nevertheless, I have some comments about how the media is using what is being said.

“It’s unlawful for me to carry a concealed weapon, so I have to choose what’s lawful for me at the moment. It makes me feel safe as a woman.”

It was spectacular that a woman was quoted. This does difuse the assumption that only men would carry weapons. The quote that OC makes her 'feel' safe however, does not help the perception of the practice. It might have been more effective to say, "As a woman, this is something I can do to keep criminals/rapists/robbers away." Feeling safe isnt as effective as actually being empowered to take some action.

“I can probably load this in about two-and-a-half seconds,”

Its not helpful to decribe to the media how quickly you can employ your weapon. This doesnt describe how proficient you are with your firearm as much as it gives the reader the impression that you really want to use it. I can't fault the interviewee so much if he were specifically asked how long it takes to load- but this isnt a fact you should be volunteering.

Nearly all the demonstrators were white.

So, according to the article, minorities either dont open carry or werent invited. It seems ridiculous to resort to affirmative action to ensure the event is populated by minorities, but that appears to be what it will take to difuse this as something that middle-aged, white men do. This also may be a side effect of racism that minorities believe exists within police ranks. Many wont want to risk open carrying, expecting to be treated like a criminal.

“If they really want to find out what goes on when you start carrying handguns, then go up into a crime-ridden area, you’d probably only make it about a block. A police officer would take you down or somebody would open fire on you.”
“I don’t know what would happen if a group of African Americans came over to South Bay to do this same type of thing.”

If the SBOC event had even one African American participate, Mr Brown would have been seen what would happen and likely been disproved in his assumptions, first that black men openly armed would be put down by police and second, that someone would get shot.

hgreen

Trying to have a "media perfect" crowd is 100% impossible.
They are out there to make pro-2A people look bad. You could have the village people up there OCing and still have the media critics.

Having personal experience being misquoted by the media (basically every time they show up), it really does not matter what you say. They will report what they want regardless of whether it is accurate/true/what you said.

Since I was not there this is not me patting myself on the back:
SBOC did a hell of a job getting a great turn out and spreading the word about our 2A rights. Our numbers on email list have spiked since the event and I've seen many many individual emails come in from people asking how they can get involved.

When was the last time a lone open carry advocate reached literally thousands of people with the message that OC is legal, available, and that all sorts of different people do it?
SBOC has proven time and again with its events that there is a huge advantage to holding these events. Even if ONLY ONE person learned that they could open carry then it is worth it.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Harley,

I hope you recognize constructive criticism when you read it. When I offer any suggestions on what is and how it is said, it is in the hopes that future stories by media about open carry are in the most positive light possible.

To your question; When was the last time a solo open carrier instigated the response of a pack of anti-gun loons, got refused a seat at a business and made the evening news? To date, I have managed not to draw the attention of the Brady Campaign and I have never been asked to leave. Given that I want to normalize the carriage of sidearms, that is the way I would prefer to keep it.