• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do i do when asked...?

Joe GlockStar

i keep getting asked by managers or other employees at places i go, ie: Cub foods yesterday, bestbuy 4 days ago, walmart 4 days ago..."sir i understand u have the right to carry a gun but i have to ask u to cover it up as to not freak people out:mad:...How do i handle those stupid situations, basically they are telling me i can have a gun as long as its concealed, which isnt an option, they can either have me leave or let me carry it however i please correct? please help, minneapolis is full of places asking me to cover up and it really kills me to do so.:mad:

sudden valley gunner

i keep getting asked by managers or other employees at places i go, ie: Cub foods yesterday, bestbuy 4 days ago, walmart 4 days ago..."sir i understand u have the right to carry a gun but i have to ask u to cover it up as to not freak people out:mad:...How do i handle those stupid situations, basically they are telling me i can have a gun as long as its concealed, which isnt an option, they can either have me leave or let me carry it however i please correct? please help, minneapolis is full of places asking me to cover up and it really kills me to do so.:mad:

I call their bluff, and tell them you are the only person I saw concerned about my carry. This has worked for me in the past especially when I have caught them red handed lying about that, and pointed out the employee who had a problem with it.

I also carry sterile (no ID or CPL) so I tell them I would be breaking the law if I covered up my weapon. Kmart has never approached me about my carry again after that time.

Many times if you know the store policy you can simply state you are in line with store policy and your method of carry deters criminal behavior while you are shopping at their establishment.

There are many different ways the main thing is to remain open minded and try to read the situation to handle it the most diplomatic way possible. I find that most the time the situations are easily resolved and once they get a sense of you as a 'good guy' they don't mind.

Claytron

well if you are on private property you really have no room to argue, you either comply with their policy or the manager on duty's requests or you could be asked to leave. If you are OCing in a store like walmart and they tell you to cover it up or leave just tell them that you cannot carry it concealed without a permit. I would also take this time to ask about the stores policy regarding firearms, not just the managers policy. If he says that guns are allowed but that he wants you specifically to coverup then tell him you find it discriminitory to be picked out and hassled while he enforces a policy that doesnt exist.

In the end all you can do is be calm and cool and express your displeasure at his request, comply and leave the store. Regardless of the companies policy a manager can still have you removed for trespassing.

eye95

Comply with the request (or leave), then call corporate offices for these chains. The managers of some of them are going against corporate policy.

At least in the case of Wal-Mart, I can (from personal experience) assure you that they take a VERY dim view of their managers kicking out carriers where the law allows OC.

j4l

Also, dont neglect to inform them that you'd prefer to do your biz elsewhere, and will advise fellow OC's to do the same.
They get enough of that response, Im pretty sure they'll get over being a candyass soon enouh.

the_hustleman

If I'm by myself I just leave, but if I'm with my wife I'll conceal it.

There are a lot of ignorant people that are afraid of guns so I can see their point, but at the end of the day its still my right to oc

Swyped from my HTC EVO 4G using tapatalk!

hermannr

I have one for you, if you can pull it off with a staight face and without laughing..

Ask the person if he/she saw two men holding hands and acting intimate in his store if he would ask them to leave? (I will bet $$$ they will answer no)...Then ask him if those two men acting like that might be of some concern to some other shoppers? (If he says no now, you know you are talking to a lier, just look at how many people voted for Prop 8 in calif. Two men holding hands and acting intimate really bothers a lot of people..that is why they do it. They want common acceptance)

Then, ask him if two men holding hands is a legal activity. When they answer yes, it is, then just say, so is carrying open a legal activity, that bothers even fewer people than two men being intimate in public...

Joe GlockStar

Thanks for the replies, i guess i still have the remaining question tho, here in minnesota, we have a "permit to carry a pistol" which is open or concealed at my choosing(so they say). but i believe we do not have the open carry without a permit law as i did in my native Ohio. so basically a store would have 2 options if im understanding the laws correctly...
1. sir we dont allow handguns on the premises you will have to disarm or leave.
2. if they let me have a gun in the store they cant legally decide HOW i carry it right?
ive open carried in there a hundred times, i ALWAYS am pushing a cart with my 5month old son strapped on top of the push handle so i believe (in my mind) that im not looking at all like a threat as i laugh and baby talk the living hell out of him the whole trip. (i may look mental but theres no law against loving your boy to much).same with walmart, after hundreds of OC trips i get asked one time to cover up. ive never refused because im not out to argue with my son around incase it leads to whatever...but i do make sure i show that its bothering me to comply. they know me there at both places, except this weasel who asked me to cover up because his cashiers are affraid, which i know is a lie because they always see me and ignore my big bi tone XDM and extra mags and play with my kid! so my big question i guess is...Can Cub ask me to cover it, still allowing me to have it, and not ask me to leave.?

Joe GlockStar

thanks for the replies. ill try it...fortunately the minnesota carry laws are written in the carriers favor so consequences are minimal :D