• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bug Out Bag (BOB) Suggestions

Northerner

Picked up an Alice Pack and frame today (great condition). I am starting to stock it with the essentials. Anybody have some constructive suggestions? Better pack? A must have item beyond ammo?
:question:

Thanks in advance.

(tried a search but nothing came up, unless I did it wrong).

Brion

Get what we call an e-tool. It's a fold up shovel that fits in a little envelope kind of pack. It can attach to the alice-pack.

10 gallon rubber sacks to keep the weather out.

550 cord. MONEY!

Twiztid Angel

HIYA I too am in NC (Rockingham county to be exact) and am the "S" word :D so we have BOB's packed 24/7 ready to roll....we have tons of things we keep in our bags but most of them are dual use items to keep weight down and not be over packed. We carry a hammock-ground cloth and a large "tarp" that can be set up into a tent or lan to for shelter.

Are you a member of any forums for like minded folks? There are a few of us here from another site that has tons of information on what to carry in BOB's....if you want to know more about them PM me and I'll gladly you send you links to my 2 favorite ones....there is a few NCers that Im in contact with around here that like to meet up if your interested :)

Northerner

Get what we call an e-tool. It's a fold up shovel that fits in a little envelope kind of pack. It can attach to the alice-pack.

10 gallon rubber sacks to keep the weather out.

550 cord. MONEY!

Got the 550 Para Cord (100 ft). Fold up shovel is on my list now. Thanks.

Northerner

HIYA I too am in NC (Rockingham county to be exact) and am the "S" word :D so we have BOB's packed 24/7 ready to roll....we have tons of things we keep in our bags but most of them are dual use items to keep weight down and not be over packed. We carry a hammock-ground cloth and a large "tarp" that can be set up into a tent or lan to for shelter.

Are you a member of any forums for like minded folks? There are a few of us here from another site that has tons of information on what to carry in BOB's....if you want to know more about them PM me and I'll gladly you send you links to my 2 favorite ones....there is a few NCers that Im in contact with around here that like to meet up if your interested :)

Thanks TA! I'll be PMing you.

Carry24/7

A couple MRE's and some cem-lights (glow sticks) A first aid kit. A leatherman utility knife. There are so many great items to put in a bag. I think I would need more than one bag. LOL

TrailRunner

Here's what's in my E&E Pack, tailored for my skills. It's designed to let me get back to my rally point quickly (therefore, lightly). YMMV.

1.) Pack: Jansport Equinox 33 (has waist belt, bottle pockets)
2.) Hooded Space Blanket (In Olive Drab, has grommets, so you can use it like a tarp, or just sit under a tree with a lit candle between your feet and wait for morning)
3.) Uco Candle Lantern w/ 2 Spare candles (Heat and light source, candle lantern in Neoprene Case) in a ziplock bag
4.) Klean Kanteen 40oz wide mouth (You can boil water inside of it as necessary because it's completely stainless steel)
5.) Coleman Max Solo cook set w/ Light My Fire Spork (The lid has duct tape wrapped around, but under the lip; useful for repairs, fire starter)
6.) Triple fire redundancy (Bic Lighter in safety orange, flint and magnesium, matches in water proof case)
7.) Folding Trowel (E-Tool): Sanitation, trenching shelter as necessary, dakota fire pit
8.) Folding Saw: Camp set up, fire-wood as necessary *edit: I use an Ultimate Survival Sabercut, it works well and it's compact*
9.) Basic First Aid Kit (several sizes bandaids, neosporene, butterfly sutures, alcohol wipes, 500mg Tylenol in pill bottle, anti-histamines, 4x6 gauze pads, tape)
10.) Small bottle of hand sanitizer (hygiene, fire-starter)
11.) Several days worth of TP in a ziplock bag (hygiene, fire starter)
12.) Trail food (2 cups brown rice, jerky, 4 foil packed tuna, 4 packs oatmeal, salt and pepper shaker: all in a one gallon ziplock bag) one freeze dried meal
13.) Small pack towel (in a ziplock bag)
14.) Extra set weather appropriate clothing, except pants, tied off in a black trash bag (strapped to the bottom of the pack)
15.) Misc. Bag (extra lock blade knife, repair/sewing kit, potable aqua tablets, extra handkerchief, small fishing kit) (all in a ziplock bag)
16.) 50 rounds 9mm ball in plastic case, inside of a ziplock bag
17.) Two black 55 gallon trash bags (Emergency water proofing for a shelter, cover for pack, emergency poncho, ground cloth to catch soil from dakota fire etc.) (both folded and inside a ziplock bag)
18.) 100 ft 550 cord (in ziplock bag with trash bags)
19.) Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite bivvy
20.) Compass

That's about it. The ziplock bags are there in force for a lot of reasons: Compartmentalizing the pack contents makes it easier to get to a single thing quickly, the ziplock bags themselves are useful for other things like gathering tinder, SODIS water purification, and as emergency "gloves" for handling things you'd rather not touch (waste, bodies, whathaveyou). It sounds like a weighty list, but it all fits inside a day pack and it's enough to move quickly for several days without being slowed down.

*Edit 2: Forgot to mention that I carry a Coleman Max flashlight, with selectable green and red LED for maintaining my night vision

Last edited: