• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va. Supreme Court approves very lenient 'Terry' Standard -- implications

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So in essence what the VA Supreme Court said was:

We can take away the rights of the citizen in order to make the streets safe for the Richmond PD.

More like fold, staple, spindle (anybody else old enough to remember what that was?), mutilate, walk all over in golf shoes (again, anybody else old enough to remember the reference?), trample and otherwise maliciously eviscerate those rights on the way to burning them at the stake. While tapdancing in the blood of their victims.

BTW - thanks, User. Nobody should be wondering why the Founders were so set against Bills of Attainder after reading your explanation.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP A bill of attainder is an old way of saying that a person is "attainted", that he has "bad" or "corrupt blood", and that this has been determined by the fact of his having been convicted of crimes. In other words, he's categorized for official purposes as a "bad guy" for life.

Heh, heh, heh. Which could be rather short.

Just adding some info I came across some months ago to clear up archaic words and usage like Bill of Attainder and corruption of blood.

In his book, Origins of the Bill of Rights, Leonard Levy explains (paraphrase) that a Bill of Attainder is a legislative act whereby an individual is declared an outlaw. Also, anyone is legally entitled to kill him. The main problem with a Bill of Attainder is that the criminal conviction is done by the legislature just up and declaring the person such, rather than a jury after hearing the evidence in a trial.

You can see how a Bill of Attainder violates the right to a jury trial.

Corruption of blood refers to the heirs of the attainted person. In some cases in England, the attainder worked to deny the heirs the attainted person's titles (remember, titles were hereditary in England). In certain circumstances, his properties and estates could be seized, which is a way of dispossessing the victim's heirs of the property, the incomes from the estates, and a place to live. This last angle was a very powerful weapon psychologically. If you thought your wife and children would be left nearly destitute, you'd tend to be rather careful not to cross the king and parliament.

So, in current application, one can guess that although there are no actual Bills of Attainder anymore, there are ways the government could accomplish basically the same effect. For example, when ACORN was video-busted giving advice to the faux prostitute and pimp, there was agitation in the press to yank the government funding for ACORN. Or, put another way, for Congress to basically create a defacto Bill of Attainder against ACORN. I didn't happen to agree with that legal theory, but you can see the argument: for Congress to defund ACORN, Congress would in effect be declaring ACORN to have committed crimes, a function for a jury.

I highly recommend Origins of the Bill of Rights. Its still available. Got mine at Barnes & Noble. Amazon has it, too. You learn a lot fast from this book. Easy to read, too.

If you can find a copy of his Origins of the 5th Amendment, please let me know. He won a Pulitzer prize for it; but that was in 1968.

Last edited:

Repeater

"Police Information System Totally On Line" - you need to read the opinion to find it.

We need to take folks who insist on making an acronym out of everything out behind the woodshed and adjust the tightness of their brain-housing group so that they stop doing that. "Police Information System" would have been sufficient in either long form or as a set of initials.

stay safe.

Um, that would be:

Police Information Security System

LEOs want to feel secure when around armed citizens.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Um, that would be:

............................:uhoh:
Was thinking the same thing, but didn't say it.
69.gif
..:lol: