Thread: OT - University of Washington picks new president from Utah

OT - University of Washington picks new president from Utah

So I am a part time student at UW and I just got this notice in my email. Being from the only state that specifically allows concealed carry on college campuses, do you think this may affect UW in regards to concealed carry?

Code:
    The University of Washington has chosen Michael Young to be its new president, according to sources familiar with the search.

The sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Seattle Times on Friday that Young, 61, president at the University of Utah since 2004, is the choice of the UW Board of Regents. The regents are expected to make the announcement Monday.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...uwprez23m.html

Named Young from Utah? Wonder who he claims as a relative.

As for Concealed Carry, probably no difference. Still have a Board of Regents and a whole bunch of liberal staff to get around. The "Pres" won't have all that much effect. Probably more on Frat Parties and "extra curricular horizontal activities".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Maybe....

it will be easier to get written permission from the President to carry???
    Live Free or Die!

He is A direct decendent of the Brigham young
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post

He is A direct decendent of the Brigham young
    Cite please

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Interesting... I wonder if there actually is a university president out there with the balls to say "I'll give any student written permission to carry who produces a valid CPL..." that would be one way around the entrenched bureaucracy. Not gonna hold my breath of course.

Interesting choice for UW anyway, just from the snippets I've heard of this Young fellow (from Utah, presumably Mormon, worked for Bush), sounds like he's almost, well I won't say conservative, but less-than-liberal? Even centrist?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    Cite please
    That should be easy. Just about everyone in that State claims a relationship to one of the "pioneers". Remember, with lots of wives it was easy to have lots of offspring.

They didn't have to give up polygamy until almost the end of the 1800's.

On a side note, those old guys must have been really something. I've found one wife to be MORE than enough to deal with.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I saw it on Kiro news that he was a descendant of Brigham Young.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/27663754/detail.html

Doesn't say it there, but its not really that hard to believe. Those guys(Brigham Young, David Cannon, George Cannon etc etc) all had many wives and many children. It doesn't mean much with that in mind. I can trace my lineage back to George Q. Cannon directly through my mother. Unique for up here, in Utah I'd be a needle in a haystack of direct George Q. Cannon descendants. Those guys got it on, a lot. With a lot of different, "wives."

And if anyone asks, or cares. I do consider myself an ex-mormon. They have some pretty wacky beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Q._Cannon
    For those who wonder wtf I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    He was a leader in the opposition to allow for carrying firearms on campuses in Utah. There is no way in hell he will give permission. He believes there is no place for guns on campus.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joeroket View Post
    He was a leader in the opposition to allow for carrying firearms on campuses in Utah. There is no way in hell he will give permission. He believes there is no place for guns on campus.
    Thats what I was wondering, Campus carry is a state thing not a university thing for Utah if I am not mistaken.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

I'm an active Mormon. I served a two-year mission (which I paid for, and volunteered my time to go). I've been able to keep my religion out of the discussion here, and focus on the topic of OC, etc... I'd appreciate the same, especially when its uncalled-for general negativity.

To tie this all back on-topic: this is what Mormon's believe about self-defense: "We believe that men should appeal to the civil law for redress of all wrongs and grievances, where personal abuse is inflicted or the right of property or character infringed, where such laws exist as will protect the same; but we believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded." Doctrine & Covenants 134:12

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Thats what I was wondering, Campus carry is a state thing not a university thing for Utah if I am not mistaken.
    Correct. The colleges are only allowed to restrict the discharge of a firearm.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Quote Originally Posted by rayjax82 View Post

And if anyone asks, or cares. I do consider myself an ex-mormon. They have some pretty wacky beliefs.
    Anyone who wants to bash the mormons obviously hasn't studied any of the other so called main stream religions. Every one of them has a side that they'd just as soon forget or keep quiet. That goes for the oldest of the "Western" religions.

Don't throw any rocks at anyone's faith or they'll possibly show you the rocks in your faith that nobody wants to turn over.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Anyone who wants to bash the mormons obviously hasn't studied any of the other so called main stream religions. Every one of them has a side that they'd just as soon forget or keep quiet. That goes for the oldest of the "Western" religions.

Don't throw any rocks at anyone's faith or they'll possibly show you the rocks in your faith that nobody wants to turn over.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post

Absolutely, but 18 years in the faith makes me fully qualified to comment on its beliefs, having lived through it.

He is probably coming to UW because he got in legal trouble over the campus carry law in Utah (yes he did)

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    He is probably coming to UW because he got in legal trouble over the campus carry law in Utah (yes he did)
    You have a link to share?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

http://www.newwest.net/main/article/...state_supreme/

Also, look at the date. I will say he fought long and hard before loosing. I expect he has a really big "Das Ich".

Enjoy...too bad they had to dump their garbage on us
    Last edited by hermannr; 04-28-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rayjax82 View Post
    Absolutely, but 18 years in the faith makes me fully qualified to comment on its beliefs, having lived through it.
    You are more than welcome to comment about LDS beliefs and after 18 years in the church you probably do have a lot to say. Please just do it on a religious forum and keep discussion here focused on OC.

--Moderator Statement--
    That would be appreciated.
    Also we must refrain from attacks on any particular religious group.
    Such would be considered a serious violation of the rules and subject to sanction.

Who Mr Young is, or who he is related to, or not, is irrelevent...

his attitude towards the 2A does matter. We don't need any more egotistical acidemics with that attitude. Especially as concerns persons in policy making decision positions.