• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - University of Washington picks new president from Utah

jchen012

So I am a part time student at UW and I just got this notice in my email. Being from the only state that specifically allows concealed carry on college campuses, do you think this may affect UW in regards to concealed carry?

Code:
The University of Washington has chosen Michael Young to be its new president, according to sources familiar with the search.

The sources, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Seattle Times on Friday that Young, 61, president at the University of Utah since 2004, is the choice of the UW Board of Regents. The regents are expected to make the announcement Monday.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014846791_uwprez23m.html

amlevin

Named Young from Utah? Wonder who he claims as a relative.

As for Concealed Carry, probably no difference. Still have a Board of Regents and a whole bunch of liberal staff to get around. The "Pres" won't have all that much effect. Probably more on Frat Parties and "extra curricular horizontal activities".

Metalhead47

it will be easier to get written permission from the President to carry???:eek:

Interesting... I wonder if there actually is a university president out there with the balls to say "I'll give any student written permission to carry who produces a valid CPL..." that would be one way around the entrenched bureaucracy. Not gonna hold my breath of course.

Interesting choice for UW anyway, just from the snippets I've heard of this Young fellow (from Utah, presumably Mormon, worked for Bush), sounds like he's almost, well I won't say conservative, but less-than-liberal? Even centrist? :shocker:

amlevin

Cite please

That should be easy. Just about everyone in that State claims a relationship to one of the "pioneers". Remember, with lots of wives it was easy to have lots of offspring.

They didn't have to give up polygamy until almost the end of the 1800's.

On a side note, those old guys must have been really something. I've found one wife to be MORE than enough to deal with.

rayjax82

I saw it on Kiro news that he was a descendant of Brigham Young.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/27663754/detail.html

Doesn't say it there, but its not really that hard to believe. Those guys(Brigham Young, David Cannon, George Cannon etc etc) all had many wives and many children. It doesn't mean much with that in mind. I can trace my lineage back to George Q. Cannon directly through my mother. Unique for up here, in Utah I'd be a needle in a haystack of direct George Q. Cannon descendants. Those guys got it on, a lot. With a lot of different, "wives."

And if anyone asks, or cares. I do consider myself an ex-mormon. They have some pretty wacky beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Q._Cannon
For those who wonder wtf I'm talking about.

sudden valley gunner

He was a leader in the opposition to allow for carrying firearms on campuses in Utah. There is no way in hell he will give permission. He believes there is no place for guns on campus.

Thats what I was wondering, Campus carry is a state thing not a university thing for Utah if I am not mistaken.

G20-IWB24/7

I'm an active Mormon. I served a two-year mission (which I paid for, and volunteered my time to go). I've been able to keep my religion out of the discussion here, and focus on the topic of OC, etc... I'd appreciate the same, especially when its uncalled-for general negativity.

To tie this all back on-topic: this is what Mormon's believe about self-defense: "We believe that men should appeal to the civil law for redress of all wrongs and grievances, where personal abuse is inflicted or the right of property or character infringed, where such laws exist as will protect the same; but we believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded." Doctrine & Covenants 134:12

amlevin

And if anyone asks, or cares. I do consider myself an ex-mormon. They have some pretty wacky beliefs.

Anyone who wants to bash the mormons obviously hasn't studied any of the other so called main stream religions. Every one of them has a side that they'd just as soon forget or keep quiet. That goes for the oldest of the "Western" religions.

Don't throw any rocks at anyone's faith or they'll possibly show you the rocks in your faith that nobody wants to turn over.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Jeff Hayes

Anyone who wants to bash the mormons obviously hasn't studied any of the other so called main stream religions. Every one of them has a side that they'd just as soon forget or keep quiet. That goes for the oldest of the "Western" religions.

Don't throw any rocks at anyone's faith or they'll possibly show you the rocks in your faith that nobody wants to turn over.

+1

rayjax82

Absolutely, but 18 years in the faith makes me fully qualified to comment on its beliefs, having lived through it.

eBratt

Absolutely, but 18 years in the faith makes me fully qualified to comment on its beliefs, having lived through it.

You are more than welcome to comment about LDS beliefs and after 18 years in the church you probably do have a lot to say. Please just do it on a religious forum and keep discussion here focused on OC.

--Moderator Statement--
That would be appreciated.
Also we must refrain from attacks on any particular religious group.
Such would be considered a serious violation of the rules and subject to sanction.

hermannr

Who Mr Young is, or who he is related to, or not, is irrelevent...

his attitude towards the 2A does matter. We don't need any more egotistical acidemics with that attitude. Especially as concerns persons in policy making decision positions.