• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry after dark

Jay

Personally I seldom take offense at anything.

The question or limitation as it were occurs here on OCDO when we consider that women and children (not members of the good ol' boys hunt club) also peruse these forums along with politicians, media and antis. Consequentially sexual content or innuendo is much discouraged.

Sorry and I understand I will watch myself from now on.

TFred

Doesnt matter.. if he drapes you while you have an OWB holster or an IWB/Virginia Tuck.. and it covers it.. you are concealed. Which holster does this guy have?
Back on topic... it would make for a very interesting court case. The carrier could argue that he or she (if women go to barbers?) did not conceal it, but the barber did, and that the barber certainly would have known it was there before they covered it up, as would any other customers or barbers in the shop when the carrier first came in.

The only people who could really argue that it was "concealed from them" would be anyone who came into the shop subsequent to the act of covering at the beginning of the haircut.

In this context, it very much lines up with the "sitting against the wall in a booth" idea, which we have almost universally argued is "not concealed", even though it is equally out of sight.

The question, "Which holster does this guy have?" is equally unanswerable for the carrier sitting in a booth against the wall. Under normal circumstances, both carriers would resume an "unconcealed" stance as soon as they got up from the chair in which they were sitting. I can't ever remember getting out of a barber's chair with the cover still on.

As always, nobody wants to be the test case, but it would be a very interesting case indeed.

TFred

USNA69

OC and Barber Sheets

At first this might sound facetious, but not when you think about it.

Perhaps OC-friendly barber shops could invest in clear plastic barber sheets, leaving the sidearm "commonly visible" while the customer is in the chair.

Problem solved!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
At first this might sound facetious, but not when you think about it.

Perhaps OC-friendly barber shops could invest in clear plastic barber sheets, leaving the sidearm "commonly visible" while the customer is in the chair.

Problem solved!!!

I can see it now with a "window" like many sails on boats. :lol:

USNA69

I can see it now with a "window" like many sails on boats. :lol:

I was considering a line of outerwear for OCers, which would have a clear panel sewn in to keep the sidearm "commonly visible". I have read of grumbling OCers when winter comes, and they must wear a coat.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was considering a line of outerwear for OCers, which would have a clear panel sewn in to keep the sidearm "commonly visible". I have read of grumbling OCers when winter comes, and they must wear a coat.

Grapeshot and I were talking about having a holster slit put in our coats, a few weeks ago.

nuc65

Activist Member
1) OC after dark seems to imply from User's opinion stated a few times that you would have to identify yourself if asked. (Probably more than "Yep, I'm me.)

2) I don't think you have intent to conceal if you OC to a Barbershop/Hair Salon so it might depend upon the judge. I would have to look at the cite of the law, and cogitate upon it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Concept already exists with Naval officer dress uniforms which accomodate swordbelts.

Most (all?) local LEA winter uniform coats have such sewn in on both sides.

It would be a cheap fix for a competent seamstress/tailor. If the jacket/coat has a drawstring bottom, simply inset the zipper - don't go all the way to the drawstring.

Addition advantage to side zipper(s) is that you don't have to unzip the front/chest zipper to sit comfortably.

Jay

Most (all?) local LEA winter uniform coats have such sewn in on both sides.

It would be a cheap fix for a competent seamstress/tailor. If the jacket/coat has a drawstring bottom, simply inset the zipper - don't go all the way to the drawstring.

Addition advantage to side zipper(s) is that you don't have to unzip the front/chest zipper to sit comfortably.

The LEO coats I have seen enough of them the zipper does go all the way down, instead of a draw string there is a piece of fabric sewn on one side (about 2" wide) and it has a snap on the other side to keep both sides together at the very bottom when you have a firearm on, but when you need to remove the coat just unsnap the bottom and the jacket comes right off without having to un-holster the firearm.