Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Nicest PD in the Metro Detroit area?

  1. #1
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591

    Nicest PD in the Metro Detroit area?

    Okay so, I lost my Citizenship papers (dads ex wife burned them) so I don't have a State ID or drivers Lic, which are required to get a Purchase Permit

    I contacted the Michigan State Police, and they said, even if I don't have them, that If i went to the police station, I could probably get them to give me a Pistol Purchase Permit, if i was really nice and talked to the right cop lol. Since I do live in Michigan, and a US Citizen, just currently don't have the proof on me.

    I was just wondering if anybody knew of the best department to go to. I know for fact Livonia PD are usually a bunch of **********, and heard Detroit was probably the best to go to around here.

    Any suggestions? Or maybe anybody actually knows one of the officers that handles these permits?
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    139
    ianal, but i thought you had to go to the city you live in ??

  3. #3
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigun View Post
    ianal, but i thought you had to go to the city you live in ??
    I don't think so. My dad got his in Detroit, while he lived in Livonia. I think it just has to be the general area?
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  4. #4
    Regular Member Michigun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    139
    eventually you will need ID for something. Is it possible to contact your embassy for replacement papers?

  5. #5
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigun View Post
    eventually you will need ID for something. Is it possible to contact your embassy for replacement papers?
    I had to send a check for 500$ (cheap bastards) and they said 2-9 months for my replacement papers. I can't wait that long though. It's only been 3. I'm going to try to get my pistol purchase permit, and then if that works, next stop is the Sec of State to see if they'll give me a drivers lic. I have lots of ID, but it's all Canadian.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I think you're going to need to prove citizenship. How would you handle ICE if they threatened to kick you out?

  7. #7
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    Okay so, I lost my Citizenship papers (dads ex wife burned them) so I don't have a State ID or drivers Lic, which are required to get a Purchase Permit

    I contacted the Michigan State Police, and they said, even if I don't have them, that If i went to the police station, I could probably get them to give me a Pistol Purchase Permit, if i was really nice and talked to the right cop lol. Since I do live in Michigan, and a US Citizen, just currently don't have the proof on me.

    I was just wondering if anybody knew of the best department to go to. I know for fact Livonia PD are usually a bunch of **********, and heard Detroit was probably the best to go to around here.

    Any suggestions? Or maybe anybody actually knows one of the officers that handles these permits?
    Citizenship papers I have always been lead to believe were easily replaced.
    https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org...FYbb4AodHHmKBw
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  8. #8
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I think you're going to need to prove citizenship. How would you handle ICE if they threatened to kick you out?
    It says in their computers that I'm a US Citizen. I know this because everytime I cross the border with my Canadian passport, as soon as they scan it in, they go "If you're a US citizen too, wheres your passport?"

    And I've never mentioned being a US citizen at the border

    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Citizenship papers I have always been lead to believe were easily replaced.
    https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org...FYbb4AodHHmKBw

    Wish it was, had to send a money order for like..$470, and everybody I've talked to said it took them a while. My dad had to get copies of his about 2 years ago, took him 8 months to get them in the mail.

    I wish I could go somewhere to check on the status, but the Immigration at the Detroit bridge & tunnel told me there was nothing they could do. Don't know who to ask



    **Edited, accidentally said US Passport instead of Canadian, I do not have a US passport.
    Last edited by MikeTheGreek; 04-25-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Why wouldn't they take a passport as a valid ID for an LTP or a DL?

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylor, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,047

    Question Garden City

    Mike -

    I'm pretty sure in WaCo. you MUST go to the PD of the city you live in now. It used to be you could go to the Wayne Co. Sheriffs post & get one there but that is no longer the case. If want to try your luck out give garden city a try. I took my sister there for her permit & they were very nice & fast she had it in 5 min. In my town Taylor (I know, I know...it's what I get for living in TAYLORTUCKEY) it can take up to a week and they are not so nice.
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 04-25-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

    “Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

  11. #11
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Why wouldn't they take a passport as a valid ID for an LTP or a DL?
    I only lived in the US until I was 3, my dad told me he got me citizenship, but no passport. I recently moved back to Michigan from Canada, and the only ID or passports I have are all Canadian.

    As of right now, the only US papers I have is my Social Security Card, and I'm not even sure where that is..lol

    Also, just realized I said US passport in a previous post, I meant Canadian. Everytime I showed them my Canadian passport they brought up my Us citizenship

    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    Mike -

    I'm pretty sure in WaCo. you MUST go to the PD of the city you live in now. It used to be you could go to the Wayne Co. Sheriffs post & get one there but that is no longer the case. If want to try your luck out give garden city a try. I took my sister there for her permit & they were very nice a fast she had it in 5 min. In my town Taylor (I know, I know...it's what I get for living in TAYLORTUCKEY) it can take up to a week and they are not so nice.
    I'll try Livonia, then Detroit, then Garden city
    Last edited by MikeTheGreek; 04-25-2011 at 11:59 PM.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    I see, that US / Canadian thing clears it up.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dearborn Heights MI, ,
    Posts
    88
    Ill vote with glock9 on this one, the city you live in, if no local dept(like where my parents live) then you would go to the sheriff. Now somebody correct me if Im wrong but you will need a DL to buy a gun from a FFL, its part of the NICS check.

  14. #14
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I see, that US / Canadian thing clears it up.
    It's still complicated. I'll be calling Immigration tomorrow to see what the deal is on my papers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Now somebody correct me if Im wrong but you will need a DL to buy a gun from a FFL, its part of the NICS check.
    It would be my father buying the weapon and giving it to me as a birthday gift. I would have nothing to do with it, until we went to the police station and transfered registration
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  15. #15
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Citizenship papers I have always been lead to believe were easily replaced.
    https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org...FYbb4AodHHmKBw
    I was also under the impression that the Michigan law requiring citizenship had been determined to be unconstitutional (equal protection) by appellate court.http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Yep, they still check mine even where they know me by first name, and I could recite my DL#.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I was also under the impression that the Michigan law requiring citizenship had been determined to be unconstitutional (equal protection) by appellate court.http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

    How could that be, the constitution is only supposed to apply to citizens.

  18. #18
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I was also under the impression that the Michigan law requiring citizenship had been determined to be unconstitutional (equal protection) by appellate court.http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html
    This is very helpful, and I didn't know this. The link to the court case links to a 403 Forbidden, but I'll print this out and bring it with me when I go.

    There is no doubt that I reside in Michigan, I know when getting a passport, all my brother needed was my father saying "He lives with me" as proof of Michigan residency, so hopefully that will be enough when i go to the local PD this week.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  19. #19
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Yep, they still check mine even where they know me by first name, and I could recite my DL#.
    Ah, http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bard...ty_of_troy.txt

    He was a legally landed permanent alien, but did not have his citizenship yet. That's why they ruled in his favor.

    Since my situation is a whole lotta messed up, not sure if this will help me, but I'll definitely print it out
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    When I clicked the link, I got the following message. If you have antivirus, you might want to do a scan.

    Reported Attack Page!

    This web page at www.constitution.org has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

    Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

    Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

  21. #21
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    When I clicked the link, I got the following message. If you have antivirus, you might want to do a scan.

    Reported Attack Page!

    This web page at www.constitution.org has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

    Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

    Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

    Wow, my bad. I used Ubuntu (Linux) and there are no virus' for it, so my browser is set to auto-ignore those messages,

    If you google "chan_v_city_of_troy" there should be multiple links
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  22. #22
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I was also under the impression that the Michigan law requiring citizenship had been determined to be unconstitutional (equal protection) by appellate court.http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    This is very helpful, and I didn't know this. The link to the court case links to a 403 Forbidden, but I'll print this out and bring it with me when I go.

    There is no doubt that I reside in Michigan, I know when getting a passport, all my brother needed was my father saying "He lives with me" as proof of Michigan residency, so hopefully that will be enough when i go to the local PD this week.
    Here is a direct link to the court case.
    http://mi.findacase.com/research/wfr...0005.mi.htm/qx

    The ACLU even jumped into the fray in South Dakota - 14th Amendment violation.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/06...ta-gun-rights/

    And then there is this in Massachchusetts - looks like 14A is the primary issue.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...esident-Aliens
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-26-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: added more
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    MCL 28.422

    Excerpt:

    (3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department,...
    If you live in a city, township, or village that has it's own police dept. you must go to that PD. If your city, township, or village doesn't have a police dept. or you live in an area of the county that is outside of the city, township, or village limits then you would go to the county sheriff. You can't just go to any PD, you have to go to the one that has jurisdiciton where you live.

    An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist:

    (snip)

    (c) The person is a citizen of the United States (see below)* and is a legal resident of this state. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:

    (i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.

    (ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.

    (iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person's home of record is in this state.

    (iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person's home of record is in another state.
    This is at the bottom of the linked page.

    * Constitutionality: The Michigan Court of Appeals held in Chan v City of Troy, 220 Mich App 376; 559 NW2d 374 (1997), that the citizen requirement, now MCL 28.422(3)(c), for a permit to purchase a pistol contained in MCL 28.422(3)(b) violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and is unconstitutional.
    Bronson
    Last edited by Bronson; 04-26-2011 at 03:28 AM.
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

  24. #24
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,611

    Livonia Police Dept.

    Individuals interested in obtaining a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may obtain the application packet at the Central Records desk during business hours. The Wayne County Sheriff's Office handles the processing of all CPL applications. Should you have questions regarding this process, you should contact the Wayne County Sheriff's Office at 734-721-5125.
    http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/Departme...1/Default.aspx

    Apparently Wayne County is not aware of Chan v Troy as their on line site under Documents Required refers to "US Naturalization Papers or Valid U.S. Passport for naturalized citizens"
    http://www.waynecounty.com/2442.htm
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,321
    i noticed that they (livonia) also charge a $5 "notary fee". this is a back door purchase permit fee. permit fees are no longer allowed by law. people should know that they are welcome to take their permit elsewhere to get your signature notarized. my bank does it for free.

    by the way, i just reviewed the license application pdf and it contains this line on page 2 under requirements:
    "Be a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United State"
    Last edited by smellslikemichigan; 04-26-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •