• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nicest PD in the Metro Detroit area?

MikeTheGreek

When I clicked the link, I got the following message. If you have antivirus, you might want to do a scan.

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.constitution.org has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Wow, my bad. I used Ubuntu (Linux) and there are no virus' for it, so my browser is set to auto-ignore those messages,

If you google "chan_v_city_of_troy" there should be multiple links

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was also under the impression that the Michigan law requiring citizenship had been determined to be unconstitutional (equal protection) by appellate court.http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

This is very helpful, and I didn't know this. The link to the court case links to a 403 Forbidden, but I'll print this out and bring it with me when I go.

There is no doubt that I reside in Michigan, I know when getting a passport, all my brother needed was my father saying "He lives with me" as proof of Michigan residency, so hopefully that will be enough when i go to the local PD this week.

Here is a direct link to the court case.
http://mi.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.%5Cmi%5CPLS%5C1996%5C19961206_0005.mi.htm/qx

The ACLU even jumped into the fray in South Dakota - 14th Amendment violation.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/06/new-aclu-lawsuit-expand-south-dakota-gun-rights/

And then there is this in Massachchusetts - looks like 14A is the primary issue.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...setts-On-Gun-Rights-For-Legal-Resident-Aliens

Last edited:

Bronson

MCL 28.422

Excerpt:

(3) The commissioner or chief of police of a city, township, or village police department that issues licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols, or his or her duly authorized deputy, or the sheriff or his or her duly authorized deputy, in the parts of a county not included within a city, township, or village having an organized police department,...

If you live in a city, township, or village that has it's own police dept. you must go to that PD. If your city, township, or village doesn't have a police dept. or you live in an area of the county that is outside of the city, township, or village limits then you would go to the county sheriff. You can't just go to any PD, you have to go to the one that has jurisdiciton where you live.

An applicant is qualified if all of the following circumstances exist:

(snip)

(c) The person is a citizen of the United States (see below)* and is a legal resident of this state. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:

(i) The person has a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver license issued under the Michigan vehicle code, 1949 PA 300, MCL 257.1 to 257.923, or an official state personal identification card issued under 1972 PA 222, MCL 28.291 to 28.300.

(ii) The person is lawfully registered to vote in this state.

(iii) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is stationed outside of this state, but the person's home of record is in this state.

(iv) The person is on active duty status with the United States armed forces and is permanently stationed in this state, but the person's home of record is in another state.

This is at the bottom of the linked page.

* Constitutionality: The Michigan Court of Appeals held in Chan v City of Troy, 220 Mich App 376; 559 NW2d 374 (1997), that the citizen requirement, now MCL 28.422(3)(c), for a permit to purchase a pistol contained in MCL 28.422(3)(b) violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution and is unconstitutional.

Bronson

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Livonia Police Dept.

Individuals interested in obtaining a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may obtain the application packet at the Central Records desk during business hours. The Wayne County Sheriff's Office handles the processing of all CPL applications. Should you have questions regarding this process, you should contact the Wayne County Sheriff's Office at 734-721-5125.
http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/Departm...entralRecordsHomePage/tabid/1321/Default.aspx

Apparently Wayne County is not aware of Chan v Troy as their on line site under Documents Required refers to "US Naturalization Papers or Valid U.S. Passport for naturalized citizens"
http://www.waynecounty.com/2442.htm

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i noticed that they (livonia) also charge a $5 "notary fee". this is a back door purchase permit fee. permit fees are no longer allowed by law. people should know that they are welcome to take their permit elsewhere to get your signature notarized. my bank does it for free.

by the way, i just reviewed the license application pdf and it contains this line on page 2 under requirements:
"Be a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United State"

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Thank you all for your information. As I said, it shouldn't be too much of a problem getting my pistol purchase permit & maybe my CPL, I just have to go down and talk to somebody at the station who's not a complete *******.

I emailed immigrations customer service, hopefully they can give me an ETA on my paperwork.

Rasher

Mike, just a side note, you might want to wait till you get all your paperwork issues straightend out, then go get your PP, its been a long time since I had to go in ang get a PP(nice thing about haveing a CPL), but I remember have to show a DL in Dearborn Heights, that was around 03 or 04, so im not 100% maybe 90ish. Just a thought. And Im sure you know, but you dont have to take the gun to the PD now, just the paper work and you can mail it if you wish.

Bronson

i noticed that they (livonia) also charge a $5 "notary fee". this is a back door purchase permit fee. permit fees are no longer allowed by law.

It's not a permit fee, it's a notary fee...which is allowed by law. But, as you mentioned, they are not allowed to require you to get it notarized there and must allow you to take it elsewhere to be notarized.

Bronson

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Individuals interested in obtaining a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may obtain the application packet at the Central Records desk during business hours. The Wayne County Sheriff's Office handles the processing of all CPL applications. Should you have questions regarding this process, you should contact the Wayne County Sheriff's Office at 734-721-5125.
http://www.ci.livonia.mi.us/Departm...entralRecordsHomePage/tabid/1321/Default.aspx

Apparently Wayne County is not aware of Chan v Troy as their on line site under Documents Required refers to "US Naturalization Papers or Valid U.S. Passport for naturalized citizens"
http://www.waynecounty.com/2442.htm

Just a short FYI (in case you were thinking they are the same): A Michigan License to Purchase, Carry, or Transport ie a "Purchase Permit" is different than a CPL. The court in "Chan v Troy" specifically ruled on a Michigan License to Purchase, Carry, or Transport, not a cpl. I think prohibiting a person from getting a cpl for the same reason stated in "Chan v Troy" would also be held illegal, though.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Just a short FYI (in case you were thinking they are the same): A Michigan License to Purchase, Carry, or Transport ie a "Purchase Permit" is different than a CPL. The court in "Chan v Troy" specifically ruled on a Michigan License to Purchase, Carry, or Transport, not a cpl. I think prohibiting a person from getting a cpl for the same reason stated in "Chan v Troy" would also be held illegal, though.

the cpl application itself states you do not need to be a citizen

eastmeyers

Yeah you can't just go to where ever you want to get a PP. You have to go to the City's Police Department where you live. If the City/Village/Township does not have a PD than you go to the SD. I doubt you will get one without a DL or SID. Good Luck sir.

Last edited:

lapeer20m

I think you could walk into the SOS office and get a replacement drivers license pretty easily. It's been a few years ago, but I lost my license and did not have a passport or other official ID. I took in a pile of items with my name on it, including mail, pay check stubs, DTE bill's, vehicle registration, my work ID etc. The lady behind the desk had no problem issuing me a new license.

Michigan is one of the states that uses a fancy computer program to check a new DL photo against your previous DL photos to make sure it is the same person.