• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nicest PD in the Metro Detroit area?

MikeTheGreek

Okay so, I lost my Citizenship papers (dads ex wife burned them) so I don't have a State ID or drivers Lic, which are required to get a Purchase Permit

I contacted the Michigan State Police, and they said, even if I don't have them, that If i went to the police station, I could probably get them to give me a Pistol Purchase Permit, if i was really nice and talked to the right cop lol. Since I do live in Michigan, and a US Citizen, just currently don't have the proof on me.

I was just wondering if anybody knew of the best department to go to. I know for fact Livonia PD are usually a bunch of douchebags, and heard Detroit was probably the best to go to around here.

Any suggestions? Or maybe anybody actually knows one of the officers that handles these permits? :)

Michigun

eventually you will need ID for something. Is it possible to contact your embassy for replacement papers?

MikeTheGreek

eventually you will need ID for something. Is it possible to contact your embassy for replacement papers?

I had to send a check for 500$ (cheap bastards) and they said 2-9 months for my replacement papers. I can't wait that long though. It's only been 3. I'm going to try to get my pistol purchase permit, and then if that works, next stop is the Sec of State to see if they'll give me a drivers lic. I have lots of ID, but it's all Canadian.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Okay so, I lost my Citizenship papers (dads ex wife burned them) so I don't have a State ID or drivers Lic, which are required to get a Purchase Permit

I contacted the Michigan State Police, and they said, even if I don't have them, that If i went to the police station, I could probably get them to give me a Pistol Purchase Permit, if i was really nice and talked to the right cop lol. Since I do live in Michigan, and a US Citizen, just currently don't have the proof on me.

I was just wondering if anybody knew of the best department to go to. I know for fact Livonia PD are usually a bunch of douchebags, and heard Detroit was probably the best to go to around here.

Any suggestions? Or maybe anybody actually knows one of the officers that handles these permits? :)

Citizenship papers I have always been lead to believe were easily replaced.
https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/citizenship-certificate.html?gclid=CN_a6pChuagCFYbb4AodHHmKBw

MikeTheGreek

I think you're going to need to prove citizenship. How would you handle ICE if they threatened to kick you out?

It says in their computers that I'm a US Citizen. I know this because everytime I cross the border with my Canadian passport, as soon as they scan it in, they go "If you're a US citizen too, wheres your passport?"

And I've never mentioned being a US citizen at the border

Citizenship papers I have always been lead to believe were easily replaced.
https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/citizenship-certificate.html?gclid=CN_a6pChuagCFYbb4AodHHmKBw

Wish it was, had to send a money order for like..$470, and everybody I've talked to said it took them a while. My dad had to get copies of his about 2 years ago, took him 8 months to get them in the mail.

I wish I could go somewhere to check on the status, but the Immigration at the Detroit bridge & tunnel told me there was nothing they could do. Don't know who to ask

**Edited, accidentally said US Passport instead of Canadian, I do not have a US passport.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Garden City

Mike -

I'm pretty sure in WaCo. you MUST go to the PD of the city you live in now. It used to be you could go to the Wayne Co. Sheriffs post & get one there but that is no longer the case. If want to try your luck out give garden city a try. I took my sister there for her permit & they were very nice & fast she had it in 5 min. In my town Taylor (I know, I know...it's what I get for living in TAYLORTUCKEY) it can take up to a week and they are not so nice. :(

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Why wouldn't they take a passport as a valid ID for an LTP or a DL?

I only lived in the US until I was 3, my dad told me he got me citizenship, but no passport. I recently moved back to Michigan from Canada, and the only ID or passports I have are all Canadian.

As of right now, the only US papers I have is my Social Security Card, and I'm not even sure where that is..lol

Also, just realized I said US passport in a previous post, I meant Canadian. Everytime I showed them my Canadian passport they brought up my Us citizenship

Mike -

I'm pretty sure in WaCo. you MUST go to the PD of the city you live in now. It used to be you could go to the Wayne Co. Sheriffs post & get one there but that is no longer the case. If want to try your luck out give garden city a try. I took my sister there for her permit & they were very nice a fast she had it in 5 min. In my town Taylor (I know, I know...it's what I get for living in TAYLORTUCKEY) it can take up to a week and they are not so nice. :(

I'll try Livonia, then Detroit, then Garden city :p

Last edited:

Rasher

Ill vote with glock9 on this one, the city you live in, if no local dept(like where my parents live) then you would go to the sheriff. Now somebody correct me if Im wrong but you will need a DL to buy a gun from a FFL, its part of the NICS check.

MikeTheGreek

I see, that US / Canadian thing clears it up.

It's still complicated. I'll be calling Immigration tomorrow to see what the deal is on my papers.

Now somebody correct me if Im wrong but you will need a DL to buy a gun from a FFL, its part of the NICS check.

It would be my father buying the weapon and giving it to me as a birthday gift. I would have nothing to do with it, until we went to the police station and transfered registration

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

MikeTheGreek

I was also under the impression that the Michigan law requiring citizenship had been determined to be unconstitutional (equal protection) by appellate court.http://www.vrolyk.org/guns/alien-laws.html

This is very helpful, and I didn't know this. The link to the court case links to a 403 Forbidden, but I'll print this out and bring it with me when I go.

There is no doubt that I reside in Michigan, I know when getting a passport, all my brother needed was my father saying "He lives with me" as proof of Michigan residency, so hopefully that will be enough when i go to the local PD this week.

MikeTheGreek

stainless1911

Banned
When I clicked the link, I got the following message. If you have antivirus, you might want to do a scan.

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.constitution.org has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.