• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WSP called about 2A Rally

Squeak

I got a call from the WSP today wanting some info on the 2A Rally. To make a long story short, we're asking ALL that want to carry a long gun to please do the following:
muzzle down
no mag/clip
action open
I'm only the messenger, so let's leave it at that.

fetch

Ok,I will be the first to bite,

In my humble opinion, the WSP can not stop people from carrying, but they want to dictate how you carry. If you are not proficient with the "long gun" or any gun for that matter, then you should not carry it. Wish I could be there on the 30th.
A gun that is not loaded or cocked is not much use. I heard that somewhere.
Squeak, you should have seen the Parade of Donuts go by! Mmmm good!

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Rally

I will be easy to identify: AK-47 muzzle up 30 round magazine one in the chamber and all black with folding stock.
Just kidding!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
In my humble opinion, the WSP can not stop people from carrying, but they want to dictate how you carry. If you are not proficient with the "long gun" or any gun for that matter, then you should not carry it. Wish I could be there on the 30th.
A gun that is not loaded or cocked is not much use. I heard that somewhere.
Squeak, you should have seen the Parade of Donuts go by! Mmmm good!

Why would you carry a loaded long gun? What is the purpose?

Long guns are an 'offensive weapon' and having them loaded is an offensive move.

In addition, a long gun is not put in a holster and left alone. It is handled far more frequently than a holstered handgun. Even on a sling it is put on when leaving and entering a vehicle (as well as loaded/chambered as it is against the law to have a loaded long gun in a vehicle), it is often adjusted multiple times when walking, sitting, standing, etc... Long guns that are loaded pose a special concern to OCDO forum members, the general public and the WSP in a large group setting. It has been requested by the 2A Rally organizers and the WSP that they be carried in a particular way (unloaded and muzzle down). I will honor that request and I would sincerely ask that you show the same respect and do the same.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Great!!!!

i really dont want to say some things,,,,
if i carry my antique muzzle loader "that is not classified as a fire arm"
how can i open the action?

if i carry it upside down, my muzzle flag will be upside down "indicating distress"
ill stop typing now...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
i really dont want to say some things,,,,
if i carry my antique muzzle loader "that is not classified as a fire arm"
how can i open the action?

if i carry it upside down, my muzzle flag will be upside down "indicating distress"
ill stop typing now...

Bob,

I think others should look at your Avatar (picture from last years rally) and take note. You led by example...

OrangeIsTrouble

When the WSP offers to clean and relube my rifle (for free) then I will MAYBE think about leaving my action opened and no mag inserted.

amzbrady

I think it is super awesome they contacted you to let you know what the new rules to abide by would be. This way there is no trouble whether even if you are legal with a long arm. After all the laws are only there as a guidline, it is definitly handier when they let us know what they want us to follow. Just like when you leave a firearm at a court house. with out them telling us, we would just think that by reading the law there should be a lock box, or someone to take our firearm without id and give it back to us in the same condition we gave it to them. But they are nice enough to let us know, that we need id and will get it back unloaded. We have to be sure to abide by what they ask, not what the law is...

Last edited:

hermannr

Come on folks, It is a REQUEST...can we not be polite and even consider it?

Yes, you can legally carry a loaded cocked exposed hammer 10 ga shotgun with a 2 lb trigger into a large gathering in a public park, but is it safe and intelligent to do so?

The 2A ralley is to score points for our position, not cause problems...think about it. Do you want to look equally stupid as those unruly "protestors" that demonstrate against the 2A? or do you wnat to be seen as resonsible citizens?

amzbrady

amzbrady

Come on folks, It is a REQUEST...can we not be polite and even consider it?

Yes, you can legally carry a loaded cocked exposed hammer 10 ga shotgun with a 2 lb trigger into a large gathering in a public park, but is it safe and intelligent to do so?

The 2A ralley is to score points for our position, not cause problems...think about it. Do you want to look equally stupid as those unruly "protestors" that demonstrate against the 2A? or do you wnat to be seen as resonsible citizens?

You are absolutly right, just like a request for ID when you are not being detained or arrested. You should just show it as a polite consideration. After all there are only certain parts of the 2A that apply to us, we dont need all of it. Only people who use the 2A for a firearm that can be neatly packed in a holster should be allowed to attend carrying as they wish. All longarms should have stricter regulations than what are already in place.

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

Thank you, I am now ashamed of my race.I am now trying to figure out how to declassify him as a white caucasion male.

When was this ever about race????

I'm disgusted by the cops taking advantage of that nice guy. I wish he was a bit more knowledgeable and didn't bend over to the cops though....

Sucks to live in Tampa next to suspicious neighbors with annoying ass dogs. Can't do nuffin about it, just go back in your house put away your damn gun and shut up!

Stryker

Let the WSP make any requests that they wish. They know the law and we know the law. All who choose to carry at the rally must decide where their safety limits exist. Given the broad nature of the rally (not limited to self defense) I will support the presence of long arms, but personally agree that their loaded carry is unnecessary. The request for barrels down, open actions and no magazines is just feel good Kalifornia-ism. how about some zip ties as a finishing touch.

Last year all who carried (even Bob) came across as responsible citizens. Even the couple with ARs playing Frizbee with their dog were well received. They didn't ask us to leave the Frizbees at home, did they?

BTW Squeak... Thanks for fielding their call and all your efforts. I'm pretty pumped about this year!

tannerwaterbury

jchen012

Why would you carry a loaded long gun? What is the purpose?

Long guns are an 'offensive weapon' and having them loaded is an offensive move.

Well since they are offensive weapons, we should just ban them outright. I mean, seriously, who needs more than a pistol in their home? :banghead:

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

Heck, ever since this one has been planned I've been planning for my FAL to be a flag holder. Muzzle up (i.e. perfectly vertical), action open, 1/4" dowel sticking 3 feet out with flags on it. No way anyone would be swept, otherwise they'd end up with a wooden dowel in their face! Yes, I realize it means standing the whole time, lugging the weight of that rifle on one shoulder. No putting it down, no shifting it. If it really gets to me, worst case scenario is I walk back to my vehicle and put it away. I've been out on 3+ mile hiking trips where I've carried a rifle in case of a bear or something, so I know how heavy it can get after such a short distance (compared to others who have hiked far longer). I'd still love to go through with my idea, it's something I've had the materials for and means of doing for a while. I'd hate to see that effort go to waste.