• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA Grassroots Workshops

Outdoorsman1

Can't find your carpool thread. Would have been nice if it was stickied.

I can attend the "I don't know how Richfield is considered Milwaukee" event. But it's a cruise. I'd like to carpool from the south east corner if there is any interest.

( I'm kind of normal in real life I swear )

Yea I suggested stickying the car pool theread when I started it... a couple of other posts from a different area of the state saying it was a good idea and that was about it.. probably not enough interest for to make it a sticky...

I have to work in Racine until 5:00 PM then out to Silver Lake to let the dogs out, the up to the event... I will be lucky to get there on time... I might try and take a vacation day or find someone to take care of the dogs... right now it is kinda too iffy to make a commitment on a car pool as I might be leaving late.... Either way i will keep you posted...

But I will be there....

Oh yea.... I have met you in real life.....normal..???? ... I guess... if you say so...:lol:

Outdoorsma1

paul@paul-fisher.com

We were talking about this tonight at Lizzie's. I went home and looked at the email. The NRA wants you to register. I registered for the 5/11 date in Richfield. I do not know if they have limited seating or not.

HandyHamlet

Thanks Paul.

Here's what it says:

FREE GRASSROOTS WORKSHOP
Milwaukee (Richfield)
Wednesday, May 11th
6:30p.m.
Cabela’s
One Cabela Way
Richfield, WI 53076
262-628-5700

At this time, Workshop registration is CLOSED. Please sign up for the wait list and we will notify you if an opening becomes available.

Last edited:

oak1971

Thanks Paul.

Here's what it says:

FREE GRASSROOTS WORKSHOP
Milwaukee (Richfield)
Wednesday, May 11th
6:30p.m.
Cabela’s
One Cabela Way
Richfield, WI 53076
262-628-5700

At this time, Workshop registration is CLOSED. Please sign up for the wait list and we will notify you if an opening becomes available.

:banghead:

Captain Nemo

Just ask them what part of Article I section 25 they don't understand.

"The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose". It doesn't get more plain than that.

MKEgal

their system is bipolar...

...or schizophrenic, or MPD or something like that.
Here's the message I got when I registered just now:
At this time, Workshop registration is closed. You will be notified if an opening becomes available. Please stay tuned to NRA-ILA alerts for further updates and information regarding Right-to-Carry legislation and grassroots activities in WI.

Thank you for registering for the Wednesday, May 11, 2011 Richfield, WI Event. Your seat has been reserved. If you have any questions on the event or need to cancel your reservation, please call the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division at (800) 392-8683.

We look forward to seeing you on Wednesday, May 11, 2011 in Richfield, WI!

I'm going. Even if they'd said I was on a wait list, I was planning to go, but since it does actually say (3 times) that I am registered, and they're looking forward to seeing me :rolleyes: well, looks like I'm registered.
And I will be OC, & wearing my g'dawful eyesore high-viz WI Carry T-shirt. :lol:

ETA: Remember that the hearing in Madison is the morning of Thurs. the 12th. We need to be there to speak against the permit bill & in favor of Constitutional Carry.

Last edited:

Jason in WI

I'm going. Even if they'd said I was on a wait list, I was planning to go, but since it does actually say (3 times) that I am registered, and they're looking forward to seeing me :rolleyes: well, looks like I'm registered.

And I will be OC, & wearing my [strike]g'dawful eyesore[/strike] strikingly stylish high-viz WI Carry T-shirt. :lol:

Fixed it for you ;).

I'm going to attempt to go also. Not sure if I'll make it but I'm going to give it the old collage try, if for nothing else to show the hunter types that may show up that people can and do open carry without any problems.

paul@paul-fisher.com

...or schizophrenic, or MPD or something like that.
Here's the message I got when I registered just now:

And I will be OC, & wearing my g'dawful eyesore high-viz WI Carry T-shirt. :lol:

ETA: Remember that the hearing in Madison is the morning of Thurs. the 12th. We need to be there to speak against the permit bill & in favor of Constitutional Carry.

I got an actual email soon after registering verifying my registration.

paul@paul-fisher.com

The NRA just sent this out:

For Concealed Carry To Become a Reality, the NRA Needs Your Help! Due to popular demand for NRA-ILA's grassroots workshops, the NRA's state association Wisconsin FORCE has scheduled three more FREE Workshops to help secure the Right-to-Carry Concealed. It’s time for Wisconsin to join free America!

During last November’s elections, NRA members and gun owners throughout the Badger State sent a clear message to elected officials that a strong Right-to-Carry law must be a legislative priority. Residents of Wisconsin sent their legislators to Madison to secure their freedom.

To ensure we are prepared to meet the challenges posed by anti-gun forces and answer questions our members have about this legislation, Wisconsin FORCE, your NRA chartered state association, will be hosting a series of workshops throughout the state.

Please plan on attending to learn more about the bills, as well as what you need to do as gun-owners to assist in our efforts. At this meeting, Wisconsin FORCE will discuss the bills, as well as what each of you need to do to ensure victory. This meeting is absolutely free. The workshop will run about 60-90 minutes.

Please make plans to attend one of our events and encourage your fellow NRA members and Second Amendment supporters to attend as well.

Here are the details for the upcoming workshops:

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:30PM - 7:30PM-8:00PM
Ace's on 29th, 2827 Oakes Avenue, Superior, WI 54880
***Space is limited. Please register by emailing your full name to
Superior@wi-force.org.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:30PM - 7:30PM-8:00PM
Stadium View, 1963 Holmgren Way, Green Bay, WI 54304
***Space is limited. Please register by emailing you full name to
GreenBay@wi-force.org.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:30PM - 7:30PM-8PM
Americas Best Value Inn (Sicily Room), 3900 Milton Avenue, Janesville, WI 53546
***Space is limited. Please register by emailing you full name to
Janesville@wi-force.org.

I guess there was overwhelming response!!!

MKEgal

notes from the Richfield meeting tonight (11MAY)

Packed room, people standing around the edges, & it was about a 2-hour session with the Q&A. I saw 6 WI Carry members there.

My notes... not really any sort of order. These are points to address if you get to speak tomorrow, or when you write/call/visit your legislators, or when speaking with people to give information, get support, or counter the lies the antis put out.

Constitutional Carry is SB93.
The permit bills now have numbers: AB126 & SB90.
One thing he repeated several times is that our legislators' response to people who want to make the bills more restrictive should be something to the effect of:
Go do the research, look at the rest of the country, find examples of where what you propose is in effect or would solve a problem that has happened (not that they imagine), then come back to me with evidence & we'll discuss it.

In the last 10 years (since the first permit bill was killed by WI legislators) there have been 125,000 victims of violent crime in WI. (Good grief - that's 1,000 a month or more than 3 a day. Pretty low rate unless it's you or your loved one getting hurt or killed.)

There are 80 million gun owners in the USA.
There are about 7 million permit holders in the USA.
The revocation rate, both within states & the national average, is about .2%.
That's 1/5 of 1% of permits, and most are revoked for administrative technicalities, practically never a violent crime being committed by the permit holder.

The FBI says that we are at a 35 year low for violent crime, and a 40 year low for murders.

Restaurant carry (where alcohol is served for consumption) is legal in 42 states.

The bills would require gov't buildings to either allow armed citizens or choose to have electronic screening for weapons AND storage. (I'd like to be sure the word "free" is in the bill in front of storage, so they can't charge us an arm & a leg for it.) It's not an unfunded mandate, since they don't have to choose to do screening & provide storage. Allowing people to excercise their rights is free.

All bills include the right to keep your pistol locked in your car, even if your employer (or church, or wherever you are) prohibits carry on the premises.

We're going to have to fight hard to keep a training requirement out of any permit bill.
With regards to training:
* There are 9 states that are shall-issue with no training requirement.
* IN & PA between them have apx. 1,000,000 permit holders, no training required, no problems reported that could have been solved by training.
* If we have a permit bill, licenses from all other states will be recognized (for anyone from out of state:mad: ), INCLUDING those states with no training requirement.
* There are 29 states where people can carry without training openly &/or concealed, again with no problems reported that could have been solved by training.
(Well, training the carriers that is. I know of a few problems that can be solved by training the police better.)

We're also going to have to fight to keep out additions like the one the various LEO unions are pulling for - making unlicensed concealed carry a felony. Someone shouldn't be penalized for needing protection NOW, wanting to carry discreetly, and the state can take up to 3 weeks to process a permit.

When you write/call/visit your legislator, do these things:
* identify yourself as an NRA member (since this was an NRA meeting)
* stick to a single issue & bill #
* explain how it affects you - put a face on the consequences
* request a written response
* share the responses, good & bad, with the NRA ILA (www.nraila.org)

One issue he's going to be looking into... he mentioned that during a nonconsensual interaction with LEOs a carrier would be required to inform that s/he was carrying, & give the permit. Also, in the permit bill is a provision that allows any LEO to demand your license at any time, with no RAS.

I asked him how they plan to reconcile that with
1) our right to remain silent
2) our right not to ID ourselves, even when arrested (except in Madison:rolleyes:)
3) case law which prohibits LEOs from stopping a driver for the sole purpose of checking to see if they have a valid license.

He said he'd look into it. :lol:

Last edited:

Jason in WI

Meeting wasn't really what I expected but then I really didn't know what to expect. Overall it was just a recruiting seminar for the NRA-ILA. They had a nice presentation on how we can get involved and how to grow the grass roots efforts. Had the guy from WI-Force say a few things, all in all not to bad.

They did a nice job of recapping what both bills had to offer and some of the stuff the NRA tried to fix and what not. They had a Q&A at the end that answered a few questions but overall there wasn't nothing earth shattering or new information to be had. Maybe other members here got more out of it then I did.

I showed up without reserving a spot, it was easier then crashing a wedding. Some food was served but we didn't grab any as we got there only a few minutes before it started. They gave a NRA shirt to everybody and I scored a bunch of bumper stickers and other paraphernalia too. Good to see WCI constitutional carry propaganda on the table but it needs to be checked as Jenny and I culled out a few pages that were blank on one side.

Only bad part was by the time it wrapped up it was almost time for Cabala's to close (seems like a regular thing for me)! I promised Jenny we'd go shopping for camping gear so we only chatted with MKEgal for a sec and didn't get to stick around.

Didn't get any camping gear but I picked up some PDX1 in 9mm also a new tumbler and some case polish followed me home!

paul@paul-fisher.com

Several things interested me at this meeting:

1. NRA's official stance is that they want BOTH bills to pass, he said that would give us Constitutional Carry with and optional permit :confused:
2. The lobbyist flat out said that once it comes out of committee, there will additional amendments offered by various people, including a few that the NRA are working on.
3. The NRA does not like the Castle Doctrine law as written and will be working to get it fixed before a vote.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I suggested to the NRA rep that they add the MT wording to meet the letter of the law for the Federal GFSZ. He indicated that the NRA lawyers thought that wouldn't pass muster. He stated that Heller (or McDonald) stated that carry can be restricted in sensitive places. MKEGal then made a point that while someone could argue a school building or maybe even school grounds could be construed as sensitive, 1000' radius wouldn't.

As I was thinking about it, I believe that ruling actually wouldn't even apply because the Fed GFSZ is prohibiting carry in a GFSZ, it is only prohibiting carry by unlicensed people in a GFSZ.

While I don't want to be the test case, I believe that post McDonald and Heller the Fed GFSZ law would become unconstitutional.

Jason in WI

While I don't want to be the test case, I believe that post McDonald and Heller the Fed GFSZ law would become unconstitutional.

I certainly don't want to be the test case either but if Wisconsin dropped their law back to just the grounds and didn't offer a permit (constitutional carry) I wouldn't give it a second thought about traveling through federal school zones. The law is a joke and I don't think it will hold up no mater how many times they re-write it. I also think that the MT language should be included as that would be another tool for my case :p, if the unconstitutional school zone law passes the stink test how can they say a state can't give blanket permission?

Last edited: