Thread: VA Living Museum

VA Living Museum

I will be in New Port News this week end and was wonder if you can carry at the Living Museum. I was planning on taking the wife up there.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhunter65 View Post
    I will be in New Port News this week end and was wonder if you can carry at the Living Museum. I was planning on taking the wife up there.
    I was there a year ago with my family. They didn't have any signs prohibiting carry, but I had to CC because otherwise my 67-year-old aunt would have caused a scene. (She's even lectured me for carrying in my own home.) I'm not going to change her mind, and it's easier to just keep it hidden when she's around.

They do have a permit to serve alcohol on premises (in their cafe), which limited where I could go at the time (and nearly caused a scene with my older sister), but that's no longer an issue.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

I was there last Friday and spent about 5 hours (with 4 kids), and no looks or comments. There were also about 1000 elementary school kids running around, and nobody said a word. The Museum is really interesting. I can't wait to go back, even the 4 year old had a great time.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."
    - Ted Nugent

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    They do have a permit to serve alcohol on premises (in their cafe), which limited where I could go at the time
    Why would their permit limit where you could go?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

I was there a year ago with my family. They didn't have any signs prohibiting carry, but I had to CC because otherwise my 67-year-old aunt would have caused a scene. (She's even lectured me for carrying in my own home.) I'm not going to change her mind, and it's easier to just keep it hidden when she's around.

They do have a permit to serve alcohol on premises (in their cafe), which limited where I could go at the time (and nearly caused a scene with my older sister), but that's no longer an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    He was CC'ing for other reasons, and it was before the new law took effect. I assume he means that he could not carry concealed onto the premises of where they were licensed to serve alcohol.

TFred

Because, as I said, it was a year ago (before the new restaurant carry law went into effect), and I was staying concealed because I didn't want to have a scene with my aunt. As a result, when my family wanted to get lunch in their cafe, I stayed outside "enjoying the weather".

I would have just gone with open carry had my aunt not been there. (She's deathly afraid of guns in general, and no amount of convincing her will change that. She's too set in her ways.)

Personally, I consider familial harmony to be a higher priority than firearm advocacy. I'm not going to go out of my way to cause conflict with my family when we were supposed to be on vacation.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."

ok thanks I do have a CHP I think I will CC since I am new there.

ok thanks I do have a CHP I think I will CC since I am new there.
    I would recommend that unless they have posted the building or otherwise indicated that carry is discouraged, you just OC and go about your business. (I, of course, am not recommending that you ignore a posted sign indicating the wishes of the property owner.) If you get there and don't feel comfortable with OC for some reason (such as how I avoided it to prevent an issue with my aunt), then switch to CC. From what I saw, the staff wouldn't have had a problem with OC, and that would match what wilkieod experienced last Friday.

Just don't decide to poach any of the animals, and you should be fine.
    Last edited by grylnsmn; 04-26-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Because, as I said, it was a year ago (before the new restaurant carry law went into effect),
    That's what I thought you were getting at, but remember that the old law only prohibited CC in "restaurants and clubs". The ABC license for the Living Museum designates them as a "museum". CC would have been fine....but again, all water under the bridge now.

http://www.abc.virginia.gov/licensee...&license=49000
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

That's what I thought you were getting at, but remember that the old law only prohibited CC in "restaurants and clubs". The ABC license for the Living Museum designates them as a "museum". CC would have been fine....but again, all water under the bridge now.

I CCed in the museum, but I avoided the cafe portion (on the assumption that it would fall under the definition of a restaurant), to be on the safe side. After all, I didn't want to be a test case for the old law two months before the new one went into effect.

Should'a known you were fishing for something like that! As he noted... who wants to try to explain that nuance to the LEO at the time...

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Should'a known you were fishing for something like that! As he noted... who wants to try to explain that nuance to the LEO at the time...

TFred
    well, I would have, but I'm just a PIA like that!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

VLM is a Private Corporation

A renewal of their lease of a portion of the land they use will be discussed at the next Newport News City Council Meeting (7/12/2011). The opening paragraph is here:

THIS LEASE, made this
    12th day of July, 2011, by and between CITY OF NEWPORT NEWS, a Municipal Corporation in the Commonwealth ofVirginia, hereinafter referred to as “City”and the VIRGINIA LIVING MUSEUM, INC., a non-profit, non-stock corporation organized and existing under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, hereinafter referred to as “Lessee.”

Supposedly, the Museum could post the property as "no carry".
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA