Thread: Fireams in county/city parks.

Fireams in county/city parks.

I know that most cities and counties prohibit firearms in their parks. I'm just wondering if it's legal to leave one locked up in your vehicle while you are at the park.

I looked up the laws and here's what I found.

14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.

(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

If I understand the bolded part correctly, it's legal to leave a firearm locked in your vehicle while you are at a park. Anyone know of another statute that would prohibit this? Does it matter if there is a no firearms sign up at the entrance to the park?

Thanks.

My interpretation of this is also that you can store your firearm in your locked vehicle legally.
    "There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." ~ Aldo Leopold

Trailrunner's Blog
    Got Twitter?

Quote Originally Posted by TrailRunner View Post
    My interpretation of this is also that you can store your firearm in your locked vehicle legally.
    + 1
    Walk softly and carry a large caliber.

That is my understanding, Isn't there a pending bill that has to do with firearms in your trunck?
    -----------------
    --SCOTT

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you need is beg enough to take everything you have, the course of history shows that as government incresses - liberty decreases."

LEGAL NOTICE: I am not a lawyer, no content in the above post should considered legal advice

The bill in the GA will allow CC in parks.

There's also another bill in the GA that will allow you to store a firearm in your car even if your employer has a no guns policy.

I kind of laughed when they added that you could keep in locked in your car to the current bill, like it was a compromise. We already can, as you have found out. Silly politicians. If they knew half of what they think they know they might get the job done right.

Activist Member
    This is crazy I can't believe NC has so many irrational restrictions on where u can carry. In ky all state, county, and city parks must allow u to carry openly or concealed. I don't know how the NC state constitution reads, but are these actually legal? Our state const. Protects open carry and it is not regulated n ne way. Other than courthouses and detention centers,

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    This is crazy I can't believe NC has so many irrational restrictions on where u can carry. In ky all state, county, and city parks must allow u to carry openly or concealed. I don't know how the NC state constitution reads, but are these actually legal? Our state const. Protects open carry and it is not regulated n ne way. Other than courthouses and detention centers,
    Honestly, based on our case law I would think they would not stand up for OC. But it takes someone to be the test case, and be harmed by the law, to file suit. And that's not cheap.