• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Carry Legislative Alert

Rich7553

FLORIDA CARRY, INC. LEGISLATIVE ALERT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – April 26, 2011

SB 234 – Sen. Bogdanoff files OC crippling amendment AGAIN!

Members and friends,

If you have been keeping track of SB 234, you’ll remember that Senator Ellyn Bogdanoff (R-Fort Lauderdale) introduced an amendment to the Senate Judiciary Committee that would have stripped out the open carry provision of the bill in favor of subjective language that would exempt inadvertent exposure of one’s firearm as punishable under law. Realizing she didn’t have the votes necessary to get the amendment adopted, Sen. Bogdanoff withdrew the amendment.

On the eve of the floor vote of SB 234, Sen. Bogdanoff has again introduced the exact same language as a floor amendment. The amendment only addresses inadvertent exposure, and does nothing to improve other situations in which general open carry is the only solution. For example, the amendment would not legalize open carry when hiking, when entering or exiting a vehicle, when on any private property other than one’s own residence or place of business. Most troubling is the fact that the determination of what is “inadvertent” would remain in the hands of law enforcement.

The Florida Sheriffs Association is walking the halls of the Senate, lobbying heavily against the bill, saying that they cannot find any prosecutions on the books concerning accidental exposure. This is a small consolation to those who have been detained for hours, disarmed, handcuffed, proned out, held at gunpoint, and booked, only to be released when the State Attorney or District Attorney found no crime with which to pursue prosecution. In fact, just last week, an individual was “printing” in a Hillsborough county restaurant and a patron called in a “suspicious person” call. The individual was pulled over by four HCSO cruisers after leaving the restaurant, and was removed from the vehicle, disarmed, handcuffed, and detained while sitting on the curb AFTER PROVIDING HIS CWFL for over a half-hour. During this time, he was subjected to leading questions like, “What war are you preparing for?” and “Why do you feel you need to carry a firearm?” He was told that the only reason he was being released rather than transported was because the caller incorrectly stated the firearm bulge was on his right side, and his firearm was on his left side.

This is exactly the type of situation open carry would eliminate. Imagine what would have happened had he had his children with him in the vehicle at the time?

Please take the time to contact the Senators below, and ask them to reject the amendment and vote on the bill based on its merits.

Feel free to use the e-mail helper below, and thank you again for your solid support.

E-mail Helper (feel free to cut, copy, paste, and edit to suit)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO:

alexander.jd.web@flsenate.gov; altman.thad.web@flsenate.gov; benacquisto.lizbeth.web@flsenate.gov; bennett.mike.web@flsenate.gov; bogdanoff.ellyn.web@flsenate.gov; bullard.larcenia.web@flsenate.gov; dean.charles.web@flsenate.gov; detert.nancy.web@flsenate.gov; portilla.miguel.web@flsenate.gov; dockery.paula.web@flsenate.gov; evers.greg.web@flsenate.gov; fasano.mike.web@flsenate.gov; flores.anitere.web@flsenate.gov; gaetz.don.web@flsenate.gov; garcia.rene.web@flsenate.gov; gardiner.andy.web@flsenate.gov; haridopolos.mike.web@flsenate.gov; hays.alan.web@flsenate.gov; hill.tony.web@flsenate.gov; jones.dennis.web@flsenate.gov; joyner.arthenia.web@flsenate.gov; latvala.jack.web@flsenate.gov; lynn.evelyn.web@flsenate.gov; margolis.gwen.web@flsenate.gov; montford.bill.web@flsenate.gov; negron.joe.web@flsenate.gov; norman.jim.web@flsenate.gov; oelrich.steve.web@flsenate.gov; rich.nan.web@flsenate.gov; richter.garrett.web@flsenate.gov; ring.jeremy.web@flsenate.gov; sachs.maria.web@flsenate.gov; simmons.david.web@flsenate.gov; siplin.gary.web@flsenate.gov; smith.chris.web@flsenate.gov; sobel.eleanor.web@flsenate.gov; storms.ronda.web@flsenate.gov; thrasher.john.web@flsenate.gov; wise.stephen.web@flsenate.gov

SUBJECT:

Reject Sen. Bogdanoff’s amendment on SB 234

Dear Senator,

Senator Bogdanoff has introduced a floor amendment to SB 234 that would cripple the bill’s multiple purpose. This amendment was originally proposed to the Judiciary Committee, and was subsequently withdrawn due to lack of support.

I urge you to reject Sen. Bogdanoff’s amendment as it does not address any rationale for open carry other than inadvertent exposure. A licensed carrier would still be prohibited from carrying openly while hiking, while entering or exiting a vehicle, while visiting a neighbor’s property despite their permission, and any other appropriate situation. Lacking a firm definition of what is “inadvertent”, it also places that subjective determination in the hands of law enforcement, whose administration is set against any expansion of 2nd Amendment rights.

Please vote favorably on the bill as it is written and resist the temptation to take the easy way out by watering down its effectiveness. Your response to this bill is without a doubt a direct reflection on your view of the 1.95 million past and present law-abiding and responsible licenseholders.

Respectfully yours,
<your name>

About: Florida Carry is a non-profit, non-partisan, grassroots organization dedicated to advancing the fundamental civil right of all Floridians to keep and bear arms for self defense as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I Section 8 of the Florida Constitution. Florida Carry, Inc. was organized by a group of Florida gun rights activists in order to better coordinate activities, effectively lobby the state legislature, and to provide a legal entity capable of filing suit to demand compliance with state and federal law. Florida Carry stands only to represent our members and the over 8 million gun owners of Florida. We are not beholden to any national organization's agenda that may compromise that mission.

Florida Carry works tirelessly toward repealing and striking down ill-conceived gun control laws that have been proven to provide safe havens to criminals and be deadly to law abiding citizens.
Fax: 678-359-9816

bigmike9419

Sent

SENT​

This literally makes me nauseous. What is this lady's problem? I don't know if i am going to be able to sleep tonight with all the anticipation over this bill passing or loosing by a tie.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Well, Evers' assistant said they have 24 definite supporters, I guess the majority whip's beeen doing her job(?). What worries me is Bogdanoff's disgusting amendment. If that passes it'll completely destroy our hopes of true OC for years. Even if they have 24 votes in favor of the present bill, are we sure we'll have 21+ who wouldn't rather have Bogdanoff's castrated version of it instead?

Last edited:

nigmalg

Weird, but it's just a revision/rewording: in the second one she lists the statutes and clarifies the wording a bit. Must have gotten some neocon advice from Dean or Alexander:banghead:

Yea I'm honestly confused at this point. I don't know why she would support an open ended definition of "brief" intentional display, but against open carry in general.

How is "intentional but brief" different from a quick walk to a friends house from your car? or the other typical "quick" uses of open carry?

I'm really not understanding her worries here.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Dang, you mean I gotta CC my cell phone and laptop now? Jeez, does a laptop in a laptop case count as printing? :banghead::banana::banghead:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Dean is a puppeteer. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's behind it. He never wants his name on things like that, but is often the reason for them.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Dean is a puppeteer
s003.jpg
=
puppeteer04.jpg
????????
(Please tell me someone gets the reference?)

mister45

s003.jpg
=
puppeteer04.jpg
????????
(Please tell me someone gets the reference?)

And to think this pile of poo ran the sheriff's department in Citrus and I honestly think he still runs it and dawsy is his puppet... Let alone many more... His dad (Dean's dad) now that was a fairly honest and up right sheriff... ( wow, I can't believe I said that...)

I hope many of these idiots get retired soon or replaced...

Any one in opposition for freedom, needs to be sent down the road!