Thread: Clerk of the House of Delegates dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound

Clerk of the House of Delegates dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound

I knew Bruce F. Jamerson, at least indirectly. He was a great Clerk of the House chambers. He understood the rules very well, and he seemed genuinely non-partisan.

Bruce F. Jamerson, clerk of the House of Delegates for the past 20 years, has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound:
    Mr. Jamerson, 54, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, a spokesman for the state medical examiner's office said.

"Mr. Jamerson’s abandoned vehicle had been located at Watkins Landing along the James River. State Police and the Powhatan County Sheriff’s Office immediately began searching the area," the news release said. At about 2:30 a.m., state police said, an agency bloodhound located Mr. Jamerson's remains along a path near the river.
    He was well-liked by just about everybody. This was the real him:
    Befitting the role of the House clerk, Mr. Jamerson was painstakingly attentive to detail and a walking encyclopedia of names, dates, events and the sometimes-arcane rules of the 100-member body he served. He slavishly kept track of the birthdays of friends, colleagues and associates, all of whom could expect on the appropriate date a card, often in the Peanuts motif (he was a fan of the comic strip) and signed in Mr. Jamerson's tidy hand.
    This is no way to use a gun.

Bruce F. Jamerson

That's a shame. It's terrible when anyone feels they have no options in life, other than death.

I haven't kept up on the style rules in the 25 years since I was awarded a BA in journalism, but I find the report's use of "remains" somewhat off-putting. To my mind, "remains" are what are left after either nature or the embalmer have taken a toll; it implies that the body was incomplete, or scattered.

It would be much more sensitive and appropriate to say searchers "located Mr. Jamerson's body along a path..."

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    I haven't kept up on the style rules in the 25 years since I was awarded a BA in journalism, but I find the report's use of "remains" somewhat off-putting. To my mind, "remains" are what are left after either nature or the embalmer have taken a toll; it implies that the body was incomplete, or scattered.

It would be much more sensitive and appropriate to say searchers "located Mr. Jamerson's body along a path..."
    Not to be morbid or cold, but with a gun shot wound to the head, "remains" may be appropriate.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/