• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clerk of the House of Delegates dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound

Repeater

I knew Bruce F. Jamerson, at least indirectly. He was a great Clerk of the House chambers. He understood the rules very well, and he seemed genuinely non-partisan.

Bruce F. Jamerson, clerk of the House of Delegates for the past 20 years, has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound:
Mr. Jamerson, 54, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, a spokesman for the state medical examiner's office said.

"Mr. Jamerson’s abandoned vehicle had been located at Watkins Landing along the James River. State Police and the Powhatan County Sheriff’s Office immediately began searching the area," the news release said. At about 2:30 a.m., state police said, an agency bloodhound located Mr. Jamerson's remains along a path near the river.

He was well-liked by just about everybody. This was the real him:
Befitting the role of the House clerk, Mr. Jamerson was painstakingly attentive to detail and a walking encyclopedia of names, dates, events and the sometimes-arcane rules of the 100-member body he served. He slavishly kept track of the birthdays of friends, colleagues and associates, all of whom could expect on the appropriate date a card, often in the Peanuts motif (he was a fan of the comic strip) and signed in Mr. Jamerson's tidy hand.

This is no way to use a gun. :(

bruce-jamerson

[size=+1]Bruce F. Jamerson[/size]

KBCraig

That's a shame. It's terrible when anyone feels they have no options in life, other than death.

I haven't kept up on the style rules in the 25 years since I was awarded a BA in journalism, but I find the report's use of "remains" somewhat off-putting. To my mind, "remains" are what are left after either nature or the embalmer have taken a toll; it implies that the body was incomplete, or scattered.

It would be much more sensitive and appropriate to say searchers "located Mr. Jamerson's body along a path..."

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I haven't kept up on the style rules in the 25 years since I was awarded a BA in journalism, but I find the report's use of "remains" somewhat off-putting. To my mind, "remains" are what are left after either nature or the embalmer have taken a toll; it implies that the body was incomplete, or scattered.

It would be much more sensitive and appropriate to say searchers "located Mr. Jamerson's body along a path..."

Not to be morbid or cold, but with a gun shot wound to the head, "remains" may be appropriate.