• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II. Schwartz safety question

Patriot2A

For the past month or so I've been looking to buy a 1911, after looking I really like the KCCCII. I love almost every aspect of it, but I just read something about the Schartz safety, I understand it's some sort of firing pin safety.

Dilemma:

After a google search and looking at several websites, I've seen a little too many cases of malfunction due to it for my comfort.

Question(s):

Is the Schwartz safety a good reason NOT to get the gun? Is there really a decent chance of it causing my firearm not to fire? And if so will removing it cause any sort of problems?

All (helpful) answers are appreciated,

Jack

cbpeck

I have a Custom CDP II (w/ Schwartz Safety) and haven't had any problems. As I understand it, the integrity of the system is only at risk if you forcibly reassemble the gun incorrectly after field stripping. On a Series II Kimber it is important that you not depress the grip safety when you install the slide onto the frame. Forcing the slide onto the frame while the grip safety is depressed will require significant force & can damage the safety mechanism. In fact, it requires so much force that it should be obvious something is wrong. Just be mindful of this during field stripping and you'll be fine.

I was oblivious to this for the first 3 years that I owned my Kimber and I never broke it.

AIC869

CBPeck's right. I have a Custom II that I treat/fire/strip, etc. as a combat firearm. As long as you don't depress the grip safety when mating the slide and frame back together, you'll be fine. If you have to unreasonably force parts together, you're probably not doing things right.

As is often the case, I suspect much has been made more of by a few regarding Swartz failures than not. For some who prefer not to have the firing pin safety (a la Series 70 Colt design) and choose to make an issue of the design, that's their preference; and there's nothing wrong with that at all. It's preference, but some may go out of their way to disparage it just because THEY don't like it. I happen to like the additional safety design and would prefer a Kimber with Swartz or a Colt Series 80.

In the end, properly maintained and operated pistols have a tendency to...well, operate properly. There are exceptions, but they're just that - exceptions. I love my Custom II and wouldn't trade it.

Palantas

There are a small cadre of Internet posters who are exceedingly picky about their 1911s. If you don't use their favorite type or brand of guide rod, safety system, extractor, grips, bushing, or some other minutia, then your 1911 is a bastard weapon in their eyes. (Where's the rolling-eye smily on this site? I don't see one, and I'd like to put one here. Moving on...)

The Schwarz safety adds extra mechanical components to your pistol, which make it less reliable in some fashion that is so small as to be impossible to compute. At the same time, it makes your pistol more safe by the same incredibly tiny percentage. In my opinion, it’s really not a big deal either way.

j4l

There are a small cadre of Internet posters who are exceedingly picky about their 1911s. If you don't use their favorite type or brand of guide rod, safety system, extractor, grips, bushing, or some other minutia, then your 1911 is a bastard weapon in their eyes. (Where's the rolling-eye smily on this site? I don't see one, and I'd like to put one here. Moving on...)

The Schwarz safety adds extra mechanical components to your pistol, which make it less reliable in some fashion that is so small as to be impossible to compute. At the same time, it makes your pistol more safe by the same incredibly tiny percentage. In my opinion, it’s really not a big deal either way.

Indeed.Noticed this a lot lol. It's like Porsche purists who go ape over Porsche making SUVs and sedans and Hybrids now. They may well be the best Suv/sedan or hybrid, but because it's not in the Porsche tradition...a lot of flak to be had.

Me I'd be fine with either (heck there's even poly 1911 frames out now) but...