Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: "Man with a Gun!" Prompts lockdown in downtown Las Cruces

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    102

    "Man with a Gun!" Prompts lockdown in downtown Las Cruces

    Read the article:
    http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_17930859

    This man was open carrying...not being a threat....and detained for over an hour....

    They locked down the school nearby, the courthouses, and surrounded him...guns drawn...

    Because he had a holstered weapon....AND HIS SHIRT OFF.....which together with the fact that he was resting (laying down)....POSED A THREAT to the public....

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    Did he have such incredible washboard abs that they were afraid all their wives were going to cheat on them with him?

    Where's the threat? I wonder if some crazy leftist liar made the 911 call...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trujillo the Special Cop
    "It was very suspicious, yes..."
    Barbrady moved south?
    Last edited by ixtow; 04-26-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  3. #3
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    "It was very suspicious, yes," Trujillo said. "And we do appreciate people calling in and letting us know about an instance such as this, somebody suspicious, and we ask that people continue to do so."
    I think it was suspicious because he had no shirt on. I mean New Mexico is right next to the sun. What human could withstand that intense solar radiation?
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    16
    Unbelievable.....simply unbelievable....

    Starts off with citizens who are "trained" that guns are evil, and call the police freaking out....

    Then the cops totally screw the pooch.....simply amazing.....

    I'm not the "I'm gonna sue you man!" type, but this is one time where I would seriously consider it....talk about having your liberties violated!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069
    I'm gonna take my shirt off and lay down right now..... Don't tell anyone...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    102

    Read the comments below the article

    They are quite telling of what the general public thinks...waste of resources, crime? what crime? etc. Very much pro support of this innocent daydreamer...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    16
    I didn't catch this beauty of a quote earlier, but I'm pissed now!!!!!!!!!!!

    "It was very suspicious, yes," Trujillo said. "And we do appreciate people calling in and letting us know about an instance such as this, somebody suspicious, and we ask that people continue to do so."


    Damn you police state!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    They actually "want" the public to call-in firearm carriers!

    holy cow.....

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    102

    Anyone in Cruces up for an open carry day....Downtown!!

    Maybe this Saturday at the Farmer's Market.

    Anyone remember the guy in Alamogordo that was drug out of the movie theater for open carrying....and sued...and won in District Court....city settled for big $$$.

    Anyone still have that link somewhere?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rio Rancho, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    16
    If I was down in Cruces this weekend, I would definitely join you for an OC walk-about.....

    Oh yah, and make sure you go shirtless!!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    114

    Pretty Sure I Spotted One Today, too

    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    I didn't catch this beauty of a quote earlier, but I'm pissed now!!!!!!!!!!!

    "It was very suspicious, yes," Trujillo said. "And we do appreciate people calling in and letting us know about an instance such as this, somebody suspicious, and we ask that people continue to do so."


    Damn you police state!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    They actually "want" the public to call-in firearm carriers!

    holy cow.....
    I'm pretty sure I saw a guy open carrying in Las Cruces today. He had a uniform and a badge. Wonder if I should have called him in. LOL.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    596
    Oh dang!
    Im butt naked with my gun laying beside my compooter while im typing!!
    Oh NO!!!!
    OMG!
    I have a AR15 in the cabinet right behind me too!
    RUN Everybody, RUN!!!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    63

    Topless OC

    There were a series of pretty funny comments in the recent pastor Jones Koran thread regarding a young lady that was arrested for topless OC'ing. Seems the LEO's were more flustered about her breasts than the gun on her hip. Here here, I'm all for the right to bare more than just our arms. Well maybe not everyone..is that hypocritical?
    Preferred weapon is a GBU-10 PavewayII but it's a little heavy for me
    For OC I have a Beretta 90-two Italian 9mm. Mi piace molto
    Beretta pre warnings 92fs stainless steel Italian 9mm
    Beretta 92fs compact USA 9mm
    Beretta Cougar 8000 9mm
    For fun it's an LMT AR-15 w/defender 2000 lower and a slide fire stock

  13. #13
    Regular Member Badger Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,217
    If there's a right to bear boobs, the intolerant and ignorant Chief is exercising it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    21
    To think I informed a few people at Home Depot about opening carrying that were clueless and thought you had to have a license... then this...

    Sad.

  15. #15
    Regular Member MarkD51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sheboygan Wisconsin
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jhow1nm2 View Post
    Maybe this Saturday at the Farmer's Market.

    Anyone remember the guy in Alamogordo that was drug out of the movie theater for open carrying....and sued...and won in District Court....city settled for big $$$.

    Anyone still have that link somewhere?
    The fella in Alamogordo, was Matthew St John, perhaps this will help your search.

    I read the article yesterday, online, about the man in Cruces.

    While I'm not condoning, nor disagreeing with what took place, I believe that if a person is intoxicated, impaired due to drugs, whether legal, or illicit, or is perhaps clinically mentally shortchanged, then all bets are off in regards to legal open carry in the state. That under those circumstances, carry becomes a felony charge.

    As to what legal rights you then have, when under suspicion of the above, I then am not sure what procedures that NM DPS has to initiate?

    Are you then automatically arrested for such, or just detained temporarily?

    In Matthew St John's case, it was evidently clear that his rights were violated, as a court of law came to a settlement in his favor against the city of alamogordo.

    I've never attended a movie at this theater, and probably never will, not because of the Mr St John incident, but because the Aviator 10 theater seems to be nothing more than a haven for car burglars. Apparently no security, or even a cam.

    But you can best believe there's signs every 10' with a gun sign, with a slash through it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958
    Reading the comments on the article... there's a lotta stupid New Mexicans... 'n a few 'Zonies. New Mexico has been open carry for 100 years. Y'all have too many noobs livin' on pavement who've brought all their nanny-state ideas with 'em. Apparently you've been importing your cops as well. I've always OC'd in NM w/o a hiccup... now I s'pose I'll have to watch my back for the hissy-fit Hysterions.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    I open carry at the Farmer's Market all the time, never had such an incident.

  18. #18
    Regular Member MarkD51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sheboygan Wisconsin
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    Reading the comments on the article... there's a lotta stupid New Mexicans... 'n a few 'Zonies. New Mexico has been open carry for 100 years. Y'all have too many noobs livin' on pavement who've brought all their nanny-state ideas with 'em. Apparently you've been importing your cops as well. I've always OC'd in NM w/o a hiccup... now I s'pose I'll have to watch my back for the hissy-fit Hysterions.
    The comments on the article where? Here, or somewhere like Topix?

    Let's not beat around the bush here. Are you referring to me as a stupid New Mexican?

    Probably not, as I think what I've written makes sense, and is probably legally correct.

    If you're referring to the folks who dropped the dime on this person, and sicced the cops on him, well, then I'll totally agree, NM seems to be loaded with many dime droppers, and this is what they seem to "train" people here to do, stool on people, and their neighbors for every little minor infraction. Two weeds in the yard, water on a wrong day, etc etc, and here comes code enforcement, compliments of your next door neighbor, or other alarmist.
    Last edited by MarkD51; 04-27-2011 at 08:17 PM.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    102

    Comments below the actual article

    Right below the article at the LC Sun News website, there's a link that reads (read the ___ # of comments). It was 93 yesterday.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    , Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    127
    St. John v McColley is the Alamagordo case. This is a published opinion--which gives the decision much weight in the 10th circuit. In that case the 10th circuit decided a single, 30 year old case was sufficient notice the police should have known their actions were in violation of the law. Here, the police will most likely find the same thing--another big payday and the officers can be sued as individuals (as per McColley). Don't the police pay attention to these things??
    Last edited by 4sooth; 05-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    3

    Link to the Alamogordo story

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    The fella in Alamogordo, was Matthew St John, perhaps this will help your search.

    I read the article yesterday, online, about the man in Cruces.

    While I'm not condoning, nor disagreeing with what took place, I believe that if a person is intoxicated, impaired due to drugs, whether legal, or illicit, or is perhaps clinically mentally shortchanged, then all bets are off in regards to legal open carry in the state. That under those circumstances, carry becomes a felony charge.

    As to what legal rights you then have, when under suspicion of the above, I then am not sure what procedures that NM DPS has to initiate?

    Are you then automatically arrested for such, or just detained temporarily?

    In Matthew St John's case, it was evidently clear that his rights were violated, as a court of law came to a settlement in his favor against the city of alamogordo.

    I've never attended a movie at this theater, and probably never will, not because of the Mr St John incident, but because the Aviator 10 theater seems to be nothing more than a haven for car burglars. Apparently no security, or even a cam.

    But you can best believe there's signs every 10' with a gun sign, with a slash through it.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gu...-carry-lawsuit

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    Anybody heard anything new on this?


    Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    102

    No news

    But I will check to see tomorrow if they local PD will disclose anything...

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalTactical View Post
    Anybody heard anything new on this?


    Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888
    Nothing much to update. He was released and not charged with anything the same day it happened.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Posts
    242
    I hope he sues them and gets some $$$ like in Alamo


    Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •