• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Man with a Gun!" Prompts lockdown in downtown Las Cruces

jhow1nm2

Read the article:
http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_17930859

This man was open carrying...not being a threat....and detained for over an hour....

They locked down the school nearby, the courthouses, and surrounded him...guns drawn...

Because he had a holstered weapon....AND HIS SHIRT OFF.....which together with the fact that he was resting (laying down)....POSED A THREAT to the public....

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Did he have such incredible washboard abs that they were afraid all their wives were going to cheat on them with him?

Where's the threat? I wonder if some crazy leftist liar made the 911 call...

Trujillo the Special Cop said:
"It was very suspicious, yes..."

Barbrady moved south?

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

"It was very suspicious, yes," Trujillo said. "And we do appreciate people calling in and letting us know about an instance such as this, somebody suspicious, and we ask that people continue to do so."

I think it was suspicious because he had no shirt on. I mean New Mexico is right next to the sun. What human could withstand that intense solar radiation?

priller

Unbelievable.....simply unbelievable....

Starts off with citizens who are "trained" that guns are evil, and call the police freaking out....

Then the cops totally screw the pooch.....simply amazing.....

I'm not the "I'm gonna sue you man!" type, but this is one time where I would seriously consider it....talk about having your liberties violated!!!!!!!!!!!

jhow1nm2

Read the comments below the article

They are quite telling of what the general public thinks...waste of resources, crime? what crime? etc. Very much pro support of this innocent daydreamer...

priller

I didn't catch this beauty of a quote earlier, but I'm pissed now!!!!!!!!!!!

"It was very suspicious, yes," Trujillo said. "And we do appreciate people calling in and letting us know about an instance such as this, somebody suspicious, and we ask that people continue to do so."

Damn you police state!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They actually "want" the public to call-in firearm carriers!

holy cow.....

jhow1nm2

Anyone in Cruces up for an open carry day....Downtown!!

Maybe this Saturday at the Farmer's Market.

Anyone remember the guy in Alamogordo that was drug out of the movie theater for open carrying....and sued...and won in District Court....city settled for big $$$.

Anyone still have that link somewhere?

NMBill

Pretty Sure I Spotted One Today, too

I didn't catch this beauty of a quote earlier, but I'm pissed now!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn you police state!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They actually "want" the public to call-in firearm carriers!

holy cow.....

I'm pretty sure I saw a guy open carrying in Las Cruces today. He had a uniform and a badge. Wonder if I should have called him in. LOL.

MR Redenck

Oh dang!
Im butt naked with my gun laying beside my compooter while im typing!!
Oh NO!!!! :eek:
OMG!
I have a AR15 in the cabinet right behind me too!
RUN Everybody, RUN!!!

bajadudes

Topless OC

There were a series of pretty funny comments in the recent pastor Jones Koran thread regarding a young lady that was arrested for topless OC'ing. Seems the LEO's were more flustered about her breasts than the gun on her hip. Here here, I'm all for the right to bare more than just our arms. Well maybe not everyone..is that hypocritical?

Jaxinc

To think I informed a few people at Home Depot about opening carrying that were clueless and thought you had to have a license... then this...

Sad.

MarkD51

Maybe this Saturday at the Farmer's Market.

Anyone remember the guy in Alamogordo that was drug out of the movie theater for open carrying....and sued...and won in District Court....city settled for big $$$.

Anyone still have that link somewhere?

The fella in Alamogordo, was Matthew St John, perhaps this will help your search.

I read the article yesterday, online, about the man in Cruces.

While I'm not condoning, nor disagreeing with what took place, I believe that if a person is intoxicated, impaired due to drugs, whether legal, or illicit, or is perhaps clinically mentally shortchanged, then all bets are off in regards to legal open carry in the state. That under those circumstances, carry becomes a felony charge.

As to what legal rights you then have, when under suspicion of the above, I then am not sure what procedures that NM DPS has to initiate?

Are you then automatically arrested for such, or just detained temporarily?

In Matthew St John's case, it was evidently clear that his rights were violated, as a court of law came to a settlement in his favor against the city of alamogordo.

I've never attended a movie at this theater, and probably never will, not because of the Mr St John incident, but because the Aviator 10 theater seems to be nothing more than a haven for car burglars. Apparently no security, or even a cam.

But you can best believe there's signs every 10' with a gun sign, with a slash through it.

Sonora Rebel

Reading the comments on the article... there's a lotta stupid New Mexicans... 'n a few 'Zonies. New Mexico has been open carry for 100 years. Y'all have too many noobs livin' on pavement who've brought all their nanny-state ideas with 'em. Apparently you've been importing your cops as well. I've always OC'd in NM w/o a hiccup... now I s'pose I'll have to watch my back for the hissy-fit Hysterions.

MarkD51

Reading the comments on the article... there's a lotta stupid New Mexicans... 'n a few 'Zonies. New Mexico has been open carry for 100 years. Y'all have too many noobs livin' on pavement who've brought all their nanny-state ideas with 'em. Apparently you've been importing your cops as well. I've always OC'd in NM w/o a hiccup... now I s'pose I'll have to watch my back for the hissy-fit Hysterions.

The comments on the article where? Here, or somewhere like Topix?

Let's not beat around the bush here. Are you referring to me as a stupid New Mexican?

Probably not, as I think what I've written makes sense, and is probably legally correct.

If you're referring to the folks who dropped the dime on this person, and sicced the cops on him, well, then I'll totally agree, NM seems to be loaded with many dime droppers, and this is what they seem to "train" people here to do, stool on people, and their neighbors for every little minor infraction. Two weeds in the yard, water on a wrong day, etc etc, and here comes code enforcement, compliments of your next door neighbor, or other alarmist.

Last edited:

4sooth

St. John v McColley is the Alamagordo case. This is a published opinion--which gives the decision much weight in the 10th circuit. In that case the 10th circuit decided a single, 30 year old case was sufficient notice the police should have known their actions were in violation of the law. Here, the police will most likely find the same thing--another big payday and the officers can be sued as individuals (as per McColley). Don't the police pay attention to these things??

Last edited: