• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Ms Get together

mjd1978

I was just wondering if anyone in North Ms. would like to meet up and get a bite to eat or something.

MSRebel54

Sure. It depends on where in "north Mississippi" your are. "North Mississippi" covers a lot of territory. Either be more specific, or PM me, and I'll make a decision. I hope that didn't sound disrespectful, it was not intended to.

mjd1978

I live in the Tupelo area but I can travel if its not too far. Just thought it would be nice to get a few of us OCers together.

Chap

Need a location and date before I could commit. Work has me on call 24/7 one week a month.

I cc, Blackhawk has not built a level III, OWB holster for my XDm .45 yet. ( they claim it's on the drawing board )

If I do show up I guess I could break out my Kimber Ultra Carry II or just CC.

Chap's iPhone

thearmysredneck

I'm interested just got my permit today, just to be on the safe side of things with the whole "in part" be of the law BTW it was 45 days on the nose for it to hit the mailbox. I'm in DeSoto county and work nights so it will need to be the weekend for me as well

MSRebel54

What kind of "get together" are we talking about here? Like having a meal at Applebee's or something? Or just going to a local coffee shop for a sit down and talk? Shopping at Walmart? Cookout at my house? (haha).

Just want to make sure we're all on the same page here. Whichever way it is, we OC and let the chips fall where they may. Depending on WHERE it is. I wouldn't have a problem if it were in Oxford, because Oxford cops know. Well, except maybe the youngsters, but a phone call would fix that. Other places, I'm not sure how kindly the local LEO's take to OC. I really don't want to spend any time in jail from some trumped up charge like disturbing the peace, and I REALLY don't want my firearm confiscated, so I'm going to defer to ya'll as to what ya'll know about how the LEO's act in other places. If we all think this is something we can do, we can PM each other with the pertinent information, and set a date, time, and location that we all agree on. I'd LOVE to have a couple more though, three is hardly a bunch so far.

Feedback please?

Chap

Oxford, MS would be ok with me

It doesn't really matter to me, lunch or coffee sounds good. I'll post the get together on another forum and see if anyone is interested. http://www.msgunowners.com

Lets see if anyone on my other forum has an area in MS already scoped out.

Chap

More to follow.

MSRebel54

Thanks for posting on the other forum Chap. Looks like some people are going to be in Oxford anyway for school, which makes it convenient. It still may be a month or two before it can be pulled off, but let's keep an eye on both threads.

MSRebel54

You missed the boat my friend... Including the element of "intent" in a statute burdens the prosecution... not the defendant. Not only must it be shown that the weapon WAS concealed, but that concealment was the INTENT.

Yet those in the know, charge you with "disturbing the peace", and that must include "intent" as well. It's just easier to get by with, as it's not black and white, as is whether your gun is visible or not visible. They can always charge you with that, (disturbing the peace) and worry about the "intent" later. Because you made a couple of people "nervous", you disturbed their peace. You see, we got a long row to hoe. And I appreciate everyone on this forum doing what they do, and willing to at least talk about it.

If this Oxford thing happens this summer, every one of us will be putting ourselves up for arrest. Not necessarily for "concealed carry without a license", for anything else they can think of. But that's the price you got to pay if you're in the game. You just can't sit back and type on a keyboard an not get out there and do what you believe in, and what you know is legal and right.

I've talked about cameras before, and no one commented. If it's up to me, I'll make sure there are at least THREE cameras, once edited will make for a great Youtube video, but mostly to just CYA. Cops won't confiscate all three of them. I really don't think they'll be a problem with Oxford cops anyway, but just CYA, cause you never know. It also depends on how many is there. 6 vs. 2 is a big deal. Do we really want to arrest these SIX people who are claiming to be perfectly LEGAL? Probably not.

Anyway, I have all kinds of pokers in the fire. I know the Chief personally, several of the OPD officers, and could even probably pre-arrange it. But the key word here is "probably" and can you trust them to keep to their word. I truly do not know. But I'm willing to take a chance, if anyone else is. I do know they've dealt with a single person OC'ing, but I don't know how they'd react to several doing so. It's just unpredictable.

I'm posting this in the other thread as well.

MSRebel54

Ok. Looks like we so far got people from Greenville, Tupelo, Oxford, and Southaven. Oxford is absolutely central to ALL of them. So I'm going to assume that if we do this, that Oxford will be the place.

Understand that we all have to get together and decide WHERE in Oxford we'll meet. That could be the difference in success or failure. You may even want to wear cover until we all get together for OC. But that's up to you, if you strongly believe in OC then by all means do it.

The way I see it, is that one of two things will happen. Either no one will pay us any attention, which is quite possible, OR someone will complain. OPD will arrive and we'll have to deal with them. I could give the Chief a "heads up", but I'd rather not. I'd rather take the chance on one of his boys arresting me for NOT violating the law, and throw that in his face later. (We go back a long way) . He's actually a good guy, he tries to do the right thing. But he's very strict on the law. I just hope he knows the law. I haven't talked to him about this.

I HAVE talked to a Lt. about it, and he's like "what the hell can we do?" Nothing. Bear in mind that's the higher ups, the rollin' and patrollin' may not see it that way.

So if you guys want to do this, just understand the risk, and be willing to take it. But that goes for anywhere, not just Oxford. Actually I think you would be better off in Oxford, because they're so worried they might do something wrong, and it become public, and make Oxford look bad.

Some of you, I'm SURE that have been to Ole Miss know exactly what I'm talking about.

Even if they come on a complaint, they're just going to do the usual blah blah, yak yak, and once they realize we know the law, they will go about their business. And I won't even have to call the Lt. or the Chief.

But if you do this, by no means don't think you WON'T see a uniform and a badge before it's over with.

MSRebel54

OC OK in Oxford

New information:

Talked to a Sgt. in OPD. He said most likely, everyone would think you were plain clothes cops, and be at rest. But if they did get a call they would have to respond. Then he went into this loooooong spill about procedure, where he says if cop #1 says something dumb, just ask him to bring his supervisor down. He said don't make him LOOK stupid by pointing out that he does not know the law. And he said if his supervisor is still stupid, demand that he get a Captain down here. He said by the time you get it that high, someone will for sure know the law.

But he did say that not even the newest of rookies would attempt to arrest anyone for 'disturbing the peace' or anything like that. Which tells me in a round about way, they've probably been schooled on it.

So at this point, I think we're good to go in Oxford!

Oh yeah, I asked him did OPD want to look good on camera for the rest of the nation, or did they want to look like dumb asses? He said they wanted to look good.

Chap

Nice

Appreciate your effort for reaching out to the local LEO.

I'm actually in the Military and would most likely appear to be LEO to a casual observer.

We just want to get together and socialize anyway. We aren't there to protest or make a public spectical. Everyone should be good to go, if someone uses this get together to make a load public statement I'm out. (I'm sure that won't happen)

Now we just need to pick a time and place. Do to a large change out of people in my office, JULY looks bad for me.

Chap

MSRebel54

Appreciate your effort for reaching out to the local LEO.

I'm actually in the Military and would most likely appear to be LEO to a casual observer.

We just want to get together and socialize anyway. We aren't there to protest or make a public spectical. Everyone should be good to go, if someone uses this get together to make a load public statement I'm out. (I'm sure that won't happen)

Now we just need to pick a time and place. Do to a large change out of people in my office, JULY looks bad for me.

Chap

Sure. Why don't we just put this thing on hold until August when the others will be at Ole Miss, and we'll take it back up again then. In the meantime, I'll be scouting around for some place I think may be appropriate to meet.

PS: A camera would only be used if there's an encounter, and then only for documentation. A third party unarmed individual would have the camera. I know it's not a loud public statement, but when it comes to this, I'm not fond of "he said, you said, they said stuff".

10-79

I am very much onboard with this and very eager to join! I second the notion that July looks terrible for me, and August would indeed be better. Having said that, the more notice on an exact date, (ideally say, four weeks) the better. My phone does 720p video recording, and can utilize it should we need it?

MSRebel54

I am very much onboard with this and very eager to join! I second the notion that July looks terrible for me, and August would indeed be better. Having said that, the more notice on an exact date, (ideally say, four weeks) the better. My phone does 720p video recording, and can utilize it should we need it?

Thanks 10-79, looks like August will be the month then! And if we can get a few more that want in by then, that would be even better. We'll have more time for it at least.

And although the offer is appreciated, I think any camera needs to be in the hands of someone other than those that are armed. To do otherwise, might look like the meeting was intentionally designed to elicit a response from the PD, and that doesn't go towards our goal. The camera would only be to have any encounter on record, so if there is any question ever about who said or did what, it's on record.

Now, that having been said, after putting feelers out, I'm 99 44/100ths percent sure that OPD would act entirely professional, and probably at most ask to see firearm permits. But as you (plural) well know, when dealing with cops and ambiguous law, nothing is 100% written in stone.

However, I do have some other contacts I'm going to try to pull out of the hat, and get an even better feel for it. But we've got lots of time yet before August. Let's just keep in touch!

10-79

Damn, if you were just 5/100ths percent more, I wouldn't worry! :p

I can see if I can have someone tag along with me to serve that very purpose of documenting.. "I'm afraid I'm just not very good with.. confrontations."

There is always an option where I could have my piece in an IWB holster?

MSRebel54

Damn, if you were just 5/100ths percent more, I wouldn't worry! :p

I can see if I can have someone tag along with me to serve that very purpose of documenting.. "I'm afraid I'm just not very good with.. confrontations."

There is always an option where I could have my piece in an IWB holster?

Wear whatever holster you want. I've been assured OPD knows what's going on. Me, I'll be wearing a tactical. But the more that "tag along with the pointy things that record" the better. I'll not have any beef with that.

Normally, I don't OC, but I think I'm going to start just for this thread's benefit, to see what kind of reaction I get.

I'll continue posting either way.

10-79

I don't know, soon as the permit comes in (around the 23rd) I'm going to have my IWB holster on, uncovered, and make a point for a cop to notice me, just to gauge reaction, because hey, that's the "partially concealed" portion of the law if I ever saw it defined..