• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concerning HB 798

farkles

I am concerned about our most pro-gun Rep creating additional FELONY punishments for people who "persuade, encourage, or entice" anything (potential huge 1st amendment problems depending on the interpretation) related to transferring or purchasing ammo or guns under false pretenses. I would love if you guys and gals could contact him and ask him to pull this bill and kill the bill if you agree. He is a VERY nice Rep and treat him respectfully when/if you contact him about this. He has done a lot for us over the years and should continue to. I think laws need to be moving in the other direction like The John Locke Foundation wrote about here http://www.scribd.com/doc/23885722/...ar-in-Restricting-Gun-Possession-by-Ex-Felons .... in some cases.

Here is the bill: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H798v1.pdf

Thoughts?

chiefjason

So, do you not like the law period?

Or do you not like that it makes it a felony?

I tend to not like the trend to make everything a felon and act like your being tough on crime. But I might make an exception for this. Folks scream about keeping guns out of the hands of people that should not have them. While this will not stop anyone, it will punish those that get caught more severely. And I'm for throwing the book at folks that make law abiding gun owners look bad. As long as you don't compromise the rights of the law abiding in the process.

Now if you disagree with all the gun laws on the books, that's an entirely different discussion.

mekender

By my reading, if I tried to buy a gun with my CHP/DL and one was expired, me saying "aww come on, no one will know" would be a felony even if I am 1) not serious and 2) not expecting the dealer to actually do.

jerz_subbie

By my reading, if I tried to buy a gun with my CHP/DL and one was expired, me saying "aww come on, no one will know" would be a felony even if I am 1) not serious and 2) not expecting the dealer to actually do.

I haven't read it but I trust your interpretation is at least pretty close. In that case, that's pretty ridiculous IMO. I completely agree with chiefjason about keeping guns out of the wrong hands and severely punishing those who make us good guys look bad but I can't see this really being a felony. It reminds me of the drunk college girl who gets pulled over for a DUI and asks, "Isn't there anything we can about this?" Of course it's wrong, dumb, and potentially dangerous on a couple levels but it just doesn't scream felony to me when you consider all the abilities/privileges you lose once becoming a convicted felon. Plus if someone is going to get charged with this it'll just be an add on anyway. In addition, this is why FFLs have strict guidelines and us good guys have to maintain a high level of integrity when doing ftf sales.

RayBurton72

My understanding is this in the Anti-bloomberg law - in that it would allow the state to prosecute the "investigators" that Bloomberg keeps sending to southern states to justify his anti-gun stance.

Whether this is a good way to handle it is another question...