Thread: Hiking/camping in GW National Forrest and SNP while OCing

Hiking/camping in GW National Forrest and SNP while OCing

I am planning on OCing soon in GW National Forest and SNP. I do not have a CHP, so I will be open carrying. I am a little concerned about dealing with rangers, particularly while camping and in a tent. Would a handgun on my person in a tent be allowed? What would I have to do to be considered oc while in a tent? Do I need a CHP before sleeping in a tent while armed? I should use FMJ ammo also, yes? Thanks in advance for help.

Sorry for my ignorance, a little research has educated me that I need a chp to carry in GWNF. Is this also true in SNP?
    Last edited by Jonesy; 04-27-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I am planning on OCing soon in GW National Forest and SNP. I do not have a CHP, so I will be open carrying. I am a little concerned about dealing with rangers, particularly while camping and in a tent. Would a handgun on my person in a tent be allowed? What would I have to do to be considered oc while in a tent? Do I need a CHP before sleeping in a tent while armed? I should use FMJ ammo also, yes? Thanks in advance for help.

Sorry for my ignorance, a little research has educated me that I need a chp to carry in GWNF. Is this also true in SNP?
    Unfortunately...unless it's hunting season, which it isn't, you may not carry in the National Forest or state WMA's unless you have a CHP.
    That's one of the PERKS for selling your soul to the Devil.

If you want to stay legal it has to be unloaded and cased (Not Holstered, Cased)

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Unfortunately...unless it's hunting season, which it isn't, you may not carry in the National Forest unless you have a CHP and it is concealed.
    Big problem. Been trying to get out to Jefferson National Forest for the last 3 weekends but it's been raining.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Is this summary up to date? If so, good resource, sticky? Seems to indicate oc may be legal.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=national+park
    Last edited by Jonesy; 04-27-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Is this summary up to date? If so, good resource, sticky? Seems to indicate oc may be legal.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=national+park
    Only during hunting season.

The National FORESTS are still a pain in the ass. The National PARKS follow the laws of the State they are in.
    (God,I hope this is right. The issues with State/National/Parks/WMA's/Historic/Monuments etc burns me up no end.)

Some recent articles about wildlife in VA. Black bears are not particularly dangerous, but in the rare hand to hand combat, the human loses. I have no desire to ever kill a bear, but if it is a choice of my life or his, I pick mine.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports...ini-ar-991989/

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/2...lif-ar-991987/

Feral hogs are probably more dangerous than black bears, but are not yet a huge problem in Virginia. Big problems in other States, though.
    Last edited by riverrat10k; 04-27-2011 at 09:57 AM.

I was hiking and camping in the wilderness of SNP last weekend. Gunbuster signs that tell you ANY carry is not allowed, at the Big Meadows vistor center and ranger station we hiked past.

I think it would be safe to assume the whole park is posted like that even though it is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by sst0185 View Post
    I was hiking and camping in the wilderness of SNP last weekend. Gunbuster signs that tell you ANY carry is not allowed, at the Big Meadows vistor center and ranger station we hiked past.

I think it would be safe to assume the whole park is posted like that even though it is incorrect.
    Inside the visitor center (and other buildings where federal employees can reasonably be expected to be) is off limits. I haven't seen signs where they shouldn't be since the change.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Ok, the other sign was at a campground we hiked past, I guess not really a ranger station. So if you don't camp or visit those places your good. Unless unloaded and in a container.

Quote Originally Posted by sst0185 View Post

You do realize that there is a difference between the National Forest and National Parks?

National Parks areOK to OC or CC except in the facilities.

Here is the official, not for release memo that went out to all park rangers when the law changed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	normal_aaa.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	5777

Name:	normal_aaaaa.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	5778

Name:	normal_aaaaaa.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	5779

If a building has this sticker stay out. Otherwise you're OK to carry.

Last edited by peter nap; 04-27-2011 at 10:57 AM.

The Rangers know firearms are legal.
    I have OC'd handguns and LG's, even displayed a LG in my window when I was purchasing our annual pass and just going for a drive on SKYLINE drive.

So oc is allowed in Shenandoah National Park. Can I take handgun into a tent and still be ok for oc? I think the answer should be yes, like going into a car with tinted windows.

Thank you Mr. Nap.

So oc is allowed in Shenandoah National Park. Can I take handgun into a tent and still be ok for oc? I think the answer should be yes, like going into a car with tinted windows.
    Yes it is...OC/CC/Car Carry, Etc. Anything legal for you in the outside world is legal there. Just stay out of the posted buildings.