• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in a US Naval Base

taotaogalu

I work for a civilian contractor responsible for the daily operations of navy base Guam,our employee hand book prohibits guns at work.But if i was to keep my weapon stored and locked in a secure device in my car do you think that might be appropriate? It`s kind of hard to ask my supervisor those kinda questions,probably would surprise him.And over there state side is it allowed for civilians to bring theres fire arms in a military installation if secured,I was told by a "Federal LEO" base police that it is prohibited in any federal installation even if locked in a vehicle.What you people think?

wikieod

I work for a civilian contractor responsible for the daily operations of navy base Guam,our employee hand book prohibits guns at work.But if i was to keep my weapon stored and locked in a secure device in my car do you think that might be appropriate? It`s kind of hard to ask my supervisor those kinda questions,probably would surprise him.And over there state side is it allowed for civilians to bring theres fire arms in a military installation if secured,I was told by a "Federal LEO" base police that it is prohibited in any federal installation even if locked in a vehicle.What you people think?

I am stationed at a base in Virginia, and the instruction for all Naval bases in the area (for all persons entering the bases) prohibit bringing personal weapons on base unless you are:

1) Storing them in the base armory
2) Attending a shooting competition
3) Transporting them to a (Navy) housing unit (where you have to lock them up anyway)

There is more amplifying information in the actual instruction, but this is it in a nutshell. The base security officer (here anyway) has an application process to allow you to get a weapons transport pass, that allows you to bring the weapon on base ONLY for the above reasons. Even if you have the gun and the ammo locked in separate containers, out of reach of the driver (Federal Transport regulation), you still can be stopped, and your personal firearm confiscated, and you will be prosecuted. For military folks, this will be disobeying a direct order (Instruction), for civilians, I'm not sure how that process works.

I think it is really unfair (ridiculous) that we are trained to use firearms under battlefield conditions, however, not trustworthy enough to use them to protect ourselves and family on our "homeland battlefield."

taotaogalu

Appreciate the information,just out of curiosity.Are you assigned to EOD.Just wondering got a few friends here at EOD MU5,they help me alot on weapons maintenance tips.

wikieod

Yea, I work at the Training Unit here. I was stationed on Guam, 89-92 (wasn't EOD then), and loved it there. I used to go four-wheeling every weekend. We'd start at the tracking station in Talafofo and head to the tank farm, and Tarzan falls. I really miss it, I had some good times, met some great people. I really miss the food!!!!!!!

taotaogalu

Guam has changed alot since then,the food is still awesome of course.The only thing thats different is that crime rates have been on the rise,especially with some chukese people.Not to be racist but they can be a problem sometimes,they would drink there asses off than just get violent.Stabbings, beatings, and alot of DUI with injuries happen because of some people like that.But if anything Guam is still a island paradise,with alot of friendly people and of course food so good it`s deadly..Cholesterol wise.

taotaogalu

chukese is a race of people from the island of chuuk, it`s part of the federated states of Micronesia. Alot of them come here for many reasons,one of them is since alcohol is banned there, some of them come here to Guam just to be able to drink. One thing about chukese men is that they really cant hold there alcohol,they would drink to the point that they would start fighting each other,I seen that alot. One chukese man is well renowned here in my neighborhood, where he would get drunk than walk in the middle of the street with his arms out like airplane wings,and start shouting.Basically alot of public drunkenness, im not racist at all but since they came to this island things have changed alot,my neighborhood use to be very peaceful and quiet, now it`s a place with make shift wooden houses across the street,the value of my house has actually dropped by $10,000 since these people moved in my neighborhood,because on one side you have nice fenced developed houses and the other side you have underdeveloped make shift houses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuuk

Last edited: