• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S 594 prohibiting restrictions on firearms during an SOE

bajadudes

Has been introduced...............

S 594, Firearms/State of Emergency
Introducers: Sens. D. Berger & Brock
S 594 would prohibit any restrictions on the possession, transportation, or use of guns during a state of emergency declared by state or local officials.

Maverick9110e

Sent this to Senator Neal:

Senator Neal,
First i want to thank you for a superb session recently. I really appreciate all the work you have done to further strengthen our 2nd Amendment rights. It is representatives like you that we really need more of in service. That being said, we need your help on another bill. SB594 specifically. The Bill would eliminate the clause of restricting firearms during a declared state of emergency. During such a time is when North Carolina residents would need to defend themselves the most i believe. The Governor has been dancing around this statute and acting illegally in her office. By declaring states of emergency but saying that GS 14.288-7 does not apply. The Governor can not simply choose which laws to enact, and which laws not to enact. Her primary reason for doing so is to try and keep the statute on the books, and justify saying that it is never used so it is not an issue. If this truly is the case then it should be removed from the books. By leaving it on the books it provides the opportunity to strip citizens of their rights when the Governor deems it necessary. I realize that the GA is out of session currently but this bill is sitting in "Ref To Com On Rules and Operations of the Senate." I urge you to do what you can to get this bill moving and approved. Again, Thank you for your help.

-Sincerely,
Me
A North Carolina Voter

Northerner

Another perspective if you will...Big Picture

Another perspective if you will, I learned this this weekend at a Breakfast Open Carry Meet Up.

This last session, several NC Bills like this one were introduced, stripped or kept from ever reaching the floor. Why? Currently several Firearms Rights organizations being lead by Alan Gura are suing the State of North Carolina (Governor) due to the SOE infringement on firearms and ammo. Although it may seem like a quick fix; by not allowing them to "legislate out" the ban of firearms and ammo during SOEs, it further allows Gura's case to go forward. The case has already passed several hurtles in the court system with the latest "...that it will be heard by the State Supreme Court (if I heard it correctly). Although a slow and slower process, when it is done, it will set case precedent, not only here in NC, but across the country that this type of "legislative banning" IS unconstitutional.

Let the Governor write her letters amending the SOE and allow this case to go forward. I carried one in my wallet during the last SOE and never had any issues.

IMHO

Last edited:

cricketdad

Another perspective if you will, I learned this this weekend at a Breakfast Open Carry Meet Up.

This last session, several NC Bills like this one were introduced, stripped or kept from ever reaching the floor. Why? Currently several Firearms Rights organizations being lead by Alan Gura are suing the State of North Carolina (Governor) due to the SOE infringement on firearms and ammo. Although it may seem like a quick fix; by not allowing them to "legislate out" the ban of firearms and ammo during SOEs, it further allows Gura's case to go forward. The case has already passed several hurtles in the court system with the latest "...that it will be heard by the State Supreme Court (if I heard it correctly). Although a slow and slower process, when it is done, it will set case precedent, not only here in NC, but across the country that this type of "legislative banning" IS unconstitutional.

Let the Governor write her letters amending the SOE and allow this case to go forward. I carried one in my wallet during the last SOE and never had any issues.

IMHO

You are correct SB594 would only be of value to North Carolina. Gura's lawsuit will impact all 50 states.

ABNinfantryman

Cops in Fayetteville must like me or they never declared an SOE after the tornado that struck a couple months ago because I completely forgot about the NC SOE law when I was walking around the neighborhood OCing because of looters. I thought about it later and realized my mistake, but not after having walked by and talked to fifty cops.... Hopefully this passes so my next brain fart doesn't get me in serious legal trouble.