Thread: Policeone.com's - tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Policeone.com's - tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

Decent article...written by a LEO..... I liked the sidenote towards the end... which has been my philosophy all along.....

"A side note to the citizen carrying openly: You should expect to be contacted law enforcement. You should expect to be feared by some, and considered to be a person of interest to many. Understand that by wearing a weapon in the open, you raise the perceived threat level in the eyes of law enforcement and other citizens. Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. Actually, this holds true on both sides of an open carry discussion, contact, or encounter..."

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Thanks admin for moving another thread. We really needed that. We are so dumb you need to come in more often and replace our threads. Also, tell us about any typo's we may have. If somehow a "T" weren't crossed - broken keyboard maybe? - could you change that, too?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Adherence to proper grammatical sentence structure would require a comma after "Thanks" in the first sentence because you are addressing a particular person or group of people by name. Also, the single quotation mark in "typo's" needs to be deleted because its use in that location would indicate the possessive form of typo versus the plural form of typo which is typos.

Also, please notice that the title of this sub-forum is "Open Carry Questions." Was there a question raised in the opening post?
    Up yours LT. I know more about the English language than you, COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack / threat How's that for proper?

Missing the same comma.
    HAhahahaha I just laughed out loud eating lunch at the mall hahahaha
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doubt is a distraction from reality. fear is acknowledging doubt as reality.

it's time to tap in to a higher reality; the one you were made for.

Adherence to proper grammatical sentence structure would require a comma after "Thanks" in the first sentence because you are addressing a particular person or group of people by name. Also, the single quotation mark in "typo's" needs to be deleted because its use in that location would indicate the possessive form of typo versus the plural form of typo which is typos.

Also, please notice that the title of this sub-forum is "Open Carry Questions." Was there a question raised in the opening post?

I believe that this thread was moved from a State sub-forum to this one, one would think by a mod, so that would be why there was no question in the opening post. I believe that was what Cash was referring to originally.

I'm with NavyLT. If you're going to protest about how smart you are, it helps to write as if you're smart.

I'm really smart.

Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post
    Up yours LT. I know more about the English language than you, and I'd whoop your ass. How's that for proper?
    Comma before "and"?

Lets not get too frisky here, gentlemen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
    Comma before "and"?

Lets not get too frisky here, gentlemen.
    I hope you are not complaining about the comma before the "and." Two complete and independent sentences can be joined by a comma and a conjunction. It would be improper to leave out the comma in such a sentence.

Missing the same comma.
    COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack / threat

Then the proper solution is to use vBulletin's Merge function and merge this thread with that one. It's a 30-second chore.[/quote]

If anyone thinks this article was fair and balanced and decent needs to go back and carefully read it.
    I went back and carefully read it, Lt. Twice. The second time very slowly, searching in vain for the slightest sign that the article was somehow not fair, balanced, or decent, with only one exception: "In time, perhaps concealed carry laws will pass in those jurisdictions that don’t allow them, and citizens can move on to concealed carry as a means of carrying a weapon legally if they so choose."

Even here, his "if they so choose" indicates he believes the choice should be left up to the citizen.

Given the fact this article was written by an LEO and predominantly to other LEOs, I can't find a thing wrong with it. If you have, you should quote the offending excerpts and critique them here, instead of merely issuing a blanket statement in which you share the article is useless, but without detailing how or why.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Decent article...written by a LEO..... I liked the sidenote towards the end... which has been my philosophy all along.....
    +1. Good article, good sidenote, and good philosophy!

Also, Outdoorsman1, good observation on your part!
    Last edited by since9; 05-09-2011 at 09:41 PM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

I would have done so, if I had the required access.
    I know you would have. The comment was direction more towards whoever does have access.

I find it hilarious that you agree with Outdoorsman1 so much. Considering he also posted this:
    Ok. Sounds like he changed his mind.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.