Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Duty Cop Beats Woman at Atlanta IHOP

Off Duty Cop Beats Woman at Atlanta IHOP

Banned
    What preceded the start of the video (which is clearly not the beginning of the confrontation) would add necessary context to pass judgment.

The only thing I am comfortable saying is that the officer had to have an option besides slugging the woman. The officer may or may not have been justified in using force; we can't know that from the video. However, there is no question that he handled that use of force unprofessionally.

She had it coming..

RULE: NEVER TOUCH A COP. you touch a cop, you get whooped. it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    She had it coming..

So no matter what, bend over and take it? Sorry, but I don't accept that as a 'Rule'. The stakes of fighting back when a tyrant has the color of law on his or her side is high and should be considered very carefully. I don't know enough about this situation to give a strong opinion about it, but you can keep your rule.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMeVa View Post
    So no matter what, bend over and take it? Sorry, but I don't accept that as a 'Rule'. The stakes of fighting back when a tyrant has the color of law on his or her side is high and should be considered very carefully. I don't know enough about this situation to give a strong opinion about it, but you can keep your rule.
    And many SCOTUS decisions on the right of fighting an unlawfull arrest even to the point of taking an officers life. Yet not enough info into this incident.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    And many SCOTUS decisions on the right of fighting an unlawfull arrest even to the point of taking an officers life. Yet not enough info into this incident.
    Decisions.... Which way did they decide sir?

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Decisions.... Which way did they decide sir?
    That we have the right to resist unlawful arrest up to taking officers life. Off the top of my head is Bad Elk vs. U.S. but there is others Story, Plummer, etc.

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

From what I have read, the officer asked them to keep the noise down that they were making in the restraunt. What actually initiated the entire scuffle was never revealed.
    My main problem whith this is that the primary officer bitch slapped the woman (granted she did place her hands on him first) but the second officer was in the process of apprehending her when the first officer hesitated for a few seconds then proceeded to punch her. This is clearly use of excessive force and was handled wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    That we have the right to resist unlawful arrest up to taking officers life. Off the top of my head is Bad Elk vs. U.S. but there is others Story, Plummer, etc.
    To be perfectly honest, the only outcome I've ever seen from resisting an unlawful arrest ends up with the subject in jail after the hospital and in the worst cases, the morgue. Are there instances where this is not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    She had it coming..

Absolutely agreed. Cops are special, they have like the most dangerous job in the world ... right behind commercial fishermen, loggers, aircraft pilots, steel workers, garbage men and refuse collectors, farmers, roofers, electrical workers, taxi drivers route sales and truck drivers.
    And they're underpaid as well with a National Average salary between 41 and 58 thousand a year.

If a cop touches you, for whatever reason - even if he's robbing you, raping you, or just having an 'off day' just roll over and take it like the whupped little puppy he wants you to be.

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    To be perfectly honest, the only outcome I've ever seen from resisting an unlawful arrest ends up with the subject in jail after the hospital and in the worst cases, the morgue. Are there instances where this is not the case?
    In the SCOTUS cases I mentioned yes thats how they were to take it to court. Of course courts have not heard these type of cases and cops have grown expendentially stronger and since then.

Banned
    If that were my wife, things would have ended differently.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    If that were my wife, things would have ended differently.
    If that were my wife, things would have started differently.

This woman may not have deserved what happened to her, but she ain't innocent of instigation. No way my wife instigates. She's just too nice a person.

Just another tough guy.

Founder's Club Member
    Hey! At least the videographer was neither arrested nor beaten for recording. Still plenty of that going on.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    SNIP No way my wife instigates. She's just too nice a person.
    She leaves the instigating to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Hey! At least the videographer was neither arrested nor beaten for recording. Still plenty of that going on.
    Not beaten yet.

Restraining the women... no issues. Punch to the face while her arm is subdued.. issues.

Context in the beginning of the video doesn't change the fact he punched her with her arm held. It was an act of anger, not effective restraint.

Cops restraining someone for an arrest with force is NOT necessarily police brutality, it's their jobs. An officer "lashing out" with no clear justification that it helped effect an arrest is brutality.

Having said that, he'll be cleared of any wrongdoing after his 2 week vacation.
    Last edited by nigmalg; 04-28-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Holy crap people. Chill out. I never said let cops DO WHAT EVER THEY WANT.

From what I can see in this video, the cop was attempting to apprehend someone when this lady across the table jumped in and started touching the cop. Sure, I guess the cop very well could have been robbing her. I highly doubt it, but sure, I guess it's possible. You win.

Now, if I see a cop apprehending someone unlawfully I'll go support that person in court. I'm not touching the cop or killing him for doing his job wrong. We are not in the middle of an armed revolution in this country. You can't just shoot a cop for doing things wrong and expect it to be cool because it's justified in your mind. Go try it, have fun.

Drunk lady hitting/scratching officer trying to make an arrest...I have no problem with him using this amount of force to protect himself and make the arrest...looks like 4 people were arrested as well. Girl shouldn't have touched, hit, or try to gouge out officers eyes. Females, for the record, are the most dangerous in these type of situations...just look at the McDonalds incident...this officer should be awarded in my opinion. Hoorah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nigmalg View Post
    Restraining the women... no issues. Punch to the face while her arm is subdued.. issues.

Context in the beginning of the video doesn't change the fact he punched her with her arm held. It was an act of anger, not effective restraint.

Cops restraining someone for an arrest with force is NOT necessarily police brutality, it's their jobs. An officer "lashing out" with no clear justification that it helped effect an arrest is brutality.

Having said that, he'll be cleared of any wrongdoing after his 2 week vacation.
    Subdued? She was one hardcore biatch brah...subdue her arm...haha...nice.

This witch comes across a table and slugs an officer in the face....and you complain about the beating she gets? I think the officer showed remarkable restraint. I would likely have used a night stick on her and put the cuffs on extra tight! She had no business acting up in the resturant to begin with and then to resist arrest like that puts her beyond any sympathy from me.

The punch appears to me to be in retaliation, not in an effort to subdue the female. He was angry and acted accordingly.

Banned
    The cop should be fired, and the charges dropped on the woman. The only way to stop these renegades is by sending a message that they will be out of work, and thier prey will be released, if not rewarded or both.

Quote Originally Posted by buster81 View Post
    The punch appears to me to be in retaliation, not in an effort to subdue the female. He was angry and acted accordingly.
    Thats how it appeared to me as well, when he hit her he looked pretty pissed. But i do not agree with how the woman acted she should not have touched the cop to begin with.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast