• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Duty Cop Beats Woman at Atlanta IHOP

eye95

What preceded the start of the video (which is clearly not the beginning of the confrontation) would add necessary context to pass judgment.

The only thing I am comfortable saying is that the officer had to have an option besides slugging the woman. The officer may or may not have been justified in using force; we can't know that from the video. However, there is no question that he handled that use of force unprofessionally.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
She had it coming..

RULE: NEVER TOUCH A COP. you touch a cop, you get whooped. it's that simple.

DontTreadOnMeVa

She had it coming..

So no matter what, bend over and take it? Sorry, but I don't accept that as a 'Rule'. The stakes of fighting back when a tyrant has the color of law on his or her side is high and should be considered very carefully. I don't know enough about this situation to give a strong opinion about it, but you can keep your rule.

sudden valley gunner

So no matter what, bend over and take it? Sorry, but I don't accept that as a 'Rule'. The stakes of fighting back when a tyrant has the color of law on his or her side is high and should be considered very carefully. I don't know enough about this situation to give a strong opinion about it, but you can keep your rule.

And many SCOTUS decisions on the right of fighting an unlawfull arrest even to the point of taking an officers life. Yet not enough info into this incident.

Wyldhog

From what I have read, the officer asked them to keep the noise down that they were making in the restraunt. What actually initiated the entire scuffle was never revealed.
My main problem whith this is that the primary officer bitch slapped the woman (granted she did place her hands on him first) but the second officer was in the process of apprehending her when the first officer hesitated for a few seconds then proceeded to punch her. This is clearly use of excessive force and was handled wrong.

VW_Factor

That we have the right to resist unlawful arrest up to taking officers life. Off the top of my head is Bad Elk vs. U.S. but there is others Story, Plummer, etc.

To be perfectly honest, the only outcome I've ever seen from resisting an unlawful arrest ends up with the subject in jail after the hospital and in the worst cases, the morgue. Are there instances where this is not the case?

Fallschirjmäger

She had it coming..

Absolutely agreed. Cops are special, they have like the most dangerous job in the world ... right behind commercial fishermen, loggers, aircraft pilots, steel workers, garbage men and refuse collectors, farmers, roofers, electrical workers, taxi drivers route sales and truck drivers.
And they're underpaid as well with a National Average salary between 41 and 58 thousand a year.

If a cop touches you, for whatever reason - even if he's robbing you, raping you, or just having an 'off day' just roll over and take it like the whupped little puppy he wants you to be.

sudden valley gunner

To be perfectly honest, the only outcome I've ever seen from resisting an unlawful arrest ends up with the subject in jail after the hospital and in the worst cases, the morgue. Are there instances where this is not the case?

In the SCOTUS cases I mentioned yes thats how they were to take it to court. Of course courts have not heard these type of cases and cops have grown expendentially stronger and since then.

eye95

If that were my wife, things would have ended differently.

If that were my wife, things would have started differently.

This woman may not have deserved what happened to her, but she ain't innocent of instigation. No way my wife instigates. She's just too nice a person.

nigmalg

Restraining the women... no issues. Punch to the face while her arm is subdued.. issues.

Context in the beginning of the video doesn't change the fact he punched her with her arm held. It was an act of anger, not effective restraint.

Cops restraining someone for an arrest with force is NOT necessarily police brutality, it's their jobs. An officer "lashing out" with no clear justification that it helped effect an arrest is brutality.

Having said that, he'll be cleared of any wrongdoing after his 2 week vacation.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Holy crap people. Chill out. I never said let cops DO WHAT EVER THEY WANT.

From what I can see in this video, the cop was attempting to apprehend someone when this lady across the table jumped in and started touching the cop. Sure, I guess the cop very well could have been robbing her. I highly doubt it, but sure, I guess it's possible. You win.

Now, if I see a cop apprehending someone unlawfully I'll go support that person in court. I'm not touching the cop or killing him for doing his job wrong. We are not in the middle of an armed revolution in this country. You can't just shoot a cop for doing things wrong and expect it to be cool because it's justified in your mind. Go try it, have fun.

usamarshal

Drunk lady hitting/scratching officer trying to make an arrest...I have no problem with him using this amount of force to protect himself and make the arrest...looks like 4 people were arrested as well. Girl shouldn't have touched, hit, or try to gouge out officers eyes. Females, for the record, are the most dangerous in these type of situations...just look at the McDonalds incident...this officer should be awarded in my opinion. Hoorah!!! :cool: