• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off Duty Cop Beats Woman at Atlanta IHOP

eye95

"Unprofessionally"? What is 'excessive' to you, blowing her away with his Mossberg?

I used the word I meant. It was unprofessional. He had other choices. Slugging the woman seemed to be an expression of anger more than it was a use of force to further a possible lawful restraint of the woman. If force was appropriate, then his action is unprofessional, but lawful. If force was not appropriate, then what he did was a crime. I don't see the word "excessive" as being apt in the situation either way.

Moving on.

eye95

If it was appropriate, then it should be taught in the academy, and be added to the training manuals.

If this is in reference to my post, please note that I was using the word "appropriate" to discuss the appropriateness (or lack thereof) of the use of force, not the appropriateness of the precise method of applying force (slugging the woman). I made it clear that the way the officer applied the force was at the very least unprofessional. If force in general was not appropriate, then slugging the woman (or the use of any force) would be a crime.

Last edited:

arentol

BEFORE the officer slapped the woman she first committed Simple Battery of high and aggravated nature:

Simple Battery -Misdemeanor

Simple battery is defined under Georgia law as intentionally causing harm to another person or touching them in an insulting or provoking nature.

If you are convicted of simple battery you face the standard misdemeanor sentence of up to $1,000 in fines and up to one year in prison.

However, there are some aggravating circumstances that could elevate your simple battery to a “misdemeanor or high and aggravated nature”, punishable by up to $5,000 in fines and up to one year in prison. Those special circumstances include:

....If the victim is a police officer, law enforcement dog, or correctional officer in the line of duty.

IMO the officer showed a great deal of restraint only slapping her once and punching her once. Also the whole thing about the woman already being subdued when he hit her is a pile of horse droppings. The officer was already halfway through the punch when the other officer grabbed her arm, but that is kind of irrelevant because even with one arm held she wasn't at all subdued.

In general officers should not be hitting people, they should restrain and handcuff instead. However, in the real world they do have to throw the occasional punch. In this case yes he COULD have not done so, but given the aggravation he was already dealing with from this woman's friend he really did show a lot of restraint going for restraint and cuffs after only one punch. The real problem here though was this woman's friend. She decided to resist lawful arrest when it should be perfectly clear doing so would not help the situation. The first girl should have gone along quietly in the first place and made her case for innocence at the proper time in the proper place. Resisting lawful arrest is never a good idea, and it got her and her friends in serious trouble.

since9

Campaign Veteran
From what I have read, the officer asked them to keep the noise down that they were making in the restraunt. What actually initiated the entire scuffle was never revealed.

My main problem whith this is that the primary officer bitch slapped the woman (granted she did place her hands on him first) but the second officer was in the process of apprehending her when the first officer hesitated for a few seconds then proceeded to punch her. This is clearly use of excessive force and was handled wrong.

Agreed. Doesn't matter of she's grabbing his collar. "Bitch-slap" isn't a proper take-down technique, and neither is "cold-cocking her in the face."

As you said, "what actually initiated the entire scuffle was never revealed." Without knowing that, we can't possible know whether not she was justified in grabbing the officer's collar. However, even if she was not justified in doing so, the officer was clearly not justified in either bitch-slapping or cold-cocking her in the face.

As for him being a cop, perhaps so, but when he's off-duty, moon-lighting as a security guard, his status with respect to the public should be "person," not "law-enforcement officer," particularly after that grossly unprofessional display of behavior. No special treatment or consideration - not ONE lick.

Last edited:

HKcarrier

You people act as if he threw her on the ground and started throwing haymakers at her face. He did not BITCHSLAP anyone... watch it again. He pushed her away... like I said, he DID push her away by her face. Rude, yes. She should have NEVER laid a hand on him and she also touched his face. She went nuts and he punched her ONE time to stun her then subdued her.

You ladies would be crying if he tazed her or something too... what should he have done? Wait for her to come at him? Try to grab her with her arms flailing? She assaulted a police officer. She interfered with an arrest. She got what she had coming.

Could he have been more professional? Probably. Could he have done things differently? Maybe. Did he do anything terrible? No. She committed a crime and he took steps to end her assault and take her into custody. Period.

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQ49Nw5Gwo&feature=watch_response

You can clearly see her push him 2 times at around :40, then force his head to turn to look at her. That is when he brushes her off, then she goes apeshit.

Watch this video from someone who was there during the entire altercation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQ49Nw5Gwo&feature=watch_response

Women were causing trouble and disturbing the peace... then apparently started assaulting each other... so cops moved ot make arrests. Tresspassing, disturbing the peace, possibly assault.

Then it gets nasty.

stainless1911

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised at all if he beat her down and tazered her, we've all seen that before. Most gangbangers wont tie a person up and continue to beat them after they give up, and then electrocute them, and use chemical weapons against them. Compared to some of the cop beatdown videos Iver seen, some on the gangsters have some class.

stainless1911

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised at all if he beat her down and tazered her, we've all seen that before. Most gangbangers wont tie a person up and continue to beat them after they give up, and then electrocute them, and use chemical weapons against them and sick an attack dog on them. Compared to some of the cop beatdown videos Iver seen, some on the gangsters have some class.

HKcarrier

Wouldn't be surprised at all if he beat her down and tazered her, we've all seen that before. Most gangbangers wont tie a person up and continue to beat them after they give up, and then electrocute them, and use chemical weapons against them. Compared to some of the cop beatdown videos Iver seen, some on the gangsters have some class.

Yeah, but he didn't. He popped her once after she hit him and swung at him multiple times. Still not seeing the big deal.

Yes, some cops get all super out of hand. This one, I don't think did.

stuckinchico

To be perfectly honest, the only outcome I've ever seen from resisting an unlawful arrest ends up with the subject in jail after the hospital and in the worst cases, the morgue. Are there instances where this is not the case?

Well heres one for you

I put an officer through a window when he tried to man handle me from the back. I got charged. DA dropped it

buster81

Yup, Perfectly reasonable to punch her in the face when he had already stepped out of her reach. For all he knew, she could have heaved the table out of the way and disarmed him.

HKcarrier

What was he supposed to do? Wait for her to make nice and then ask her nicely to put the cuffs on? She ASSAULTED A POLICE OFFICER. That's kind of a no-no. He moved in, neutralized her punch threats with a counter punch, grabbed her, took her down, cuffed her. End of story.

Should he have had a sundae while she took a time out cool down period? Should he have bought her a cup of coffee and chatted about it?

She was a dumb drunk bitch at an after bar breakfast place and she got what she deserved.

Why are people sooooooo freaked out by someone getting forcefully arrested after commiting a felony crime and being extremely combative?

I guess we agree to disagree.

slowfiveoh

I find no fault in the officers actions in this video.

Those who are responding in detraction of the officers actions are doing so a bit out of chivalry, which I also understand.

Fact is, she reached for him first, and just like any other human being, the officer has the right to defend himself.

Sorry, but I don't see him doing anything wrong here.

stainless1911

Banned
There is some chivalry, that's true, and honorable, but there are certain things a cop should not do. They are held to a higher standard, and when they live up to that, it works better for us and them. I dont want to see a cop punch a guy either, they are supposed to be above street fighting. If the officer is losing the battle however, all bets are off. I don't expect to see a cop twisting a persons limbs, permanent ligament and joint damage should not be part of restraint. I do not expect a cop to choke any individual under any circumstances, you just dont take someone by the throat/ I dont want a cop to spit on people, and I do not expect to see a cop kick someone in the balls. Likewise I do not want to see a cop punch a woman in the face.

If you or I can lose our 2A rights for throwing food at a partner during a fight, (domestic), then a cop shouldn't be punching a woman.

HandyHamlet

She was a dumb drunk bitch at an after bar breakfast place and she got what she deserved.

So what does that make the off duty cops that were there? Drunk dumb bitches too?

What right does an off duty cop have to engage citizens in a restaurant because he was jealous Boba Fette was getting all the attention?

The cop laid his hands on them first. Because they annoyed him? Someone cite that statute please.

Last edited: