• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letters to the NRA For their Support.

firedog

You guys crack me up. You don’t get a resounding victory with everything you want, so you trash the NRA. Good thinkin’!!
This bill isn’t what we wanted. It’s too early to know exactly what form it’ll take if and when it passes. Is it progress? I’m not sure, but I know it’s not the end of the world.
Look how long it took the antis to put us where we were in 1987. Look at the progress we’ve made since then. Who’s had the most influence on our progress? Could it be the NRA/ILA?
I don’t understand all the gnashing of teeth and cries of despair. We’re gaining ground, not losing. The antis are the ones who are losing. Why? Well, let’s see. Who’s the most powerful, most feared lobby in Washington? Could it be the NRA/ILA?
The antis wanted total gun control (that’s a total gun ban) and were getting it a bit at a time. We stopped them. Who’s “we”? Could it be the NRA/ILA?
We want zero gun control for law-abiding and sane citizens and we’re getting it a bit at a time. The antis can't stop us, but they can make it hard. Deal with it. If you don’t want to bother, just withdraw your support from our most powerful ally and trash them in internet forums. Yeah, that makes sense!!
This is going to be a long war. Our enemies aren’t going to quit. They didn’t quit when they lost a skirmish and they eventually came close to destroying gun rights in plenty of states and cities. Now we’re beating them back.
Whether you agree with them every time or not, the NRA/ILA is the leader in our war. They aren’t the only leader, but nobody swings a bigger club.
The NRA/ILA is always asking for money. No kidding! Do you think all the lobbying they do is cheap? In this country, you make political gains by outspending your opponent. Big money comes from supporters, in this case gun owners and shooters. That’s us.
Do you think you have a better handle on what’ll fly in the legislature than the ILA?
Do you think you’re better qualified than Marion Hammer?
Than you’re in the wrong job.
The NRA needs to get the message that their compromise was not what the open carry supporters wanted. It was called an “Open Carry Bill” right into the final hour when they caved. If you believe this bill has done anything good you are wrong. It is more damaging then it is favorable. The NRA took the wrong position in their support efforts. 2A rights, 1 of only 7 states to ban open carry and they failed to push those issues and pushed for only accidental exposure protection. They caved to win a useless bill that only they can tout as a victory. This was not a victory and they are the reason. A strong message should be sent to them and there is no way to get their attention other than in the pockets of their treasury. A sudden drop in FL membership would be a message. Move your money to help build the GOA.. GOA always touts themselves at a no-compromise group...might be better place to contribute then the NRA.

p.s. I do not agree that the NRA was not at fault for the bad amendment being added and the final bill. If you watch the session video you will see Hammer leave the floor just before SB234 was introduced. I believe she did that to meet with Bogdenoff and Evers and she (NRA) caved to Bogdenoff in order to score a useless victory in the name of the NRA. Once the NRA caved to Bogdenoff Evers set on his thumbs knowing the NRA was caving. I’m sure he didn’t want to portray too republicans arguing over the same bill on the senate floor.

Had the NRA stood their ground to Bogdenoff and faced the possibility of a defeated bill I think the republicans had the votes to pass it without Bogdenoff and her dumb ass amendment. The NRA caved to tout a victory regardless of the bills dangers or intent.

Last edited:

10x

Yes...some think compromise is a good thing, but in this case the language of the compromise is a deal breaker and most likely will cause more unwarranted attention by LEO. It would be better to withdraw the bill and try again next year.

ETA: NRA has never been a big fan of Open Carry.

Yes NRA has not been a fan of Open Carry, thats because they have done well in getting most of the US CC. But I think it is time for them to change course and start promoting Open Carry!

mister45

You guys crack me up. You don’t get a resounding victory with everything you want, so you trash the NRA. Good thinkin’!!

This bill isn’t what we wanted. It’s too early to know exactly what form it’ll take if and when it passes. Is it progress? I’m not sure, but I know it’s not the end of the world.

Look how long it took the antis to put us where we were in 1987. Look at the progress we’ve made since then. Who’s had the most influence on our progress? Could it be the NRA/ILA?

I don’t understand all the gnashing of teeth and cries of despair. We’re gaining ground, not losing. The antis are the ones who are losing. Why? Well, let’s see. Who’s the most powerful, most feared lobby in Washington? Could it be the NRA/ILA?

The antis wanted total gun control (that’s a total gun ban) and were getting it a bit at a time. We stopped them. Who’s “we”? Could it be the NRA/ILA?

We want zero gun control for law-abiding and sane citizens and we’re getting it a bit at a time. The antis can't stop us, but they can make it hard. Deal with it. If you don’t want to bother, just withdraw your support from our most powerful ally and trash them in internet forums. Yeah, that makes sense!!

This is going to be a long war. Our enemies aren’t going to quit. They didn’t quit when they lost a skirmish and they eventually came close to destroying gun rights in plenty of states and cities. Now we’re beating them back.

Whether you agree with them every time or not, the NRA/ILA is the leader in our war. They aren’t the only leader, but nobody swings a bigger club.

The NRA/ILA is always asking for money. No kidding! Do you think all the lobbying they do is cheap? In this country, you make political gains by outspending your opponent. Big money comes from supporters, in this case gun owners and shooters. That’s us.

Do you think you have a better handle on what’ll fly in the legislature than the ILA?

You must be the NRA spokesman, How much did they pay you for that?
They still aren't doing what they should and yes it takes money, But spending pennies when they have millions, doesn't get anything done...
Send them your dime, I'm keeping mine.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I think the NRA needs to get the message. I'm not going to support them any longer. I will go with GOA and others. Maybe an influx to the other true 2A supporters will build them into a recognizable group. I agree with Venator, there is a principle here that needs to be relayed to the NRA.

You may cancel my membership with the NRA. I will not be renewing my membership with the NRA anytime in the future. Please remove my email and contact information from your databases. Furthermore, it will be my mission to eliminate the membership requirement for membership to my gun clubs. I will motion within these clubs until they pull the NRA requirement or terminate my membership.

I am a Florida resident and your failure & inappropriate compromise on 2A rights referencing SB234 in the 2011 session was deplorable.

This is gutsy very nicely worded and to the point. This type of assertion needs echo and volume.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member

They just didn't swing the big stick around on OC. even Hammer consistently used the "accidental wind blowing argument" repeatedly in order to fool the voters into OC. Be straight. Tell the voters the benefits of OC; don't beat around the bush. The NRA let us down in our time of need and some of us (I'm a long-time member as is my dad) won't forget it.

We needed the NRAs FULL support and we got everything but.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Letters to the NRA For their Support

beatdeadhorse.gif
beatdeadhorse.gif
beatdeadhorse.gif
beatdeadhorse.gif
beatdeadhorse.gif

Japle

They just didn't swing the big stick around on OC. even Hammer consistently used the "accidental wind blowing argument" repeatedly in order to fool the voters into OC. Be straight. Tell the voters the benefits of OC; don't beat around the bush. The NRA let us down in our time of need and some of us (I'm a long-time member as is my dad) won't forget it.

I understand you want everything right now. So do I. But we're not going to get it.

We lost our rights a small (sometimes not so small) step at a time and that's how we'll get them back. We're up against people who think we're evil for wanting to own guns at all, much less carry them. They had decades of success. They're going to fight us for every inch. Sometimes they'll be able to stop us dispite our best efforts.

Trashing our strongest ally seems sort of counterproductive to me.

hammer6

i feel that way toward the NRA because i didn't get what i wanted...i wanted full fledged open carry. now i have to stick with the side sweat and wet underwear that comes with an IWB holster for either my XD 40, or my Glock 26. or i could just stick with the little LCP in my pocket. HOORAY 6+1. HOORAY "excuse me bad guy, could you please hold, i need to reach into my pocket, de-holster, and pull my 7 shot .380 out to defend myself." mmmmhhhmmmmm

i can go to 43 other states in the union, and open carry. CAN'T DO IT IN MY HOME STATE THOUGH.

i wasn't interested in ANYTHING else on this bill except OC.

mekender

If you really dont like what the NRA does and want to change it, the beauty of the NRA is that you can run for and be elected to the board. If you believe that your stance is amazingly popular among gun owners as a whole, then it shouldnt be that hard to get it done.

I have yet to see anything other than the threads here about the NRA being the problem on this bill, does anyone have a good source for this info?

firedog

I have yet to see anything other than the threads here about the NRA being the problem on this bill, does anyone have a good source for this info?

Yea, Bogdenoff. She said it right on the senate floor “this is what the NRA wanted”…

Japle

i feel that way toward the NRA because i didn't get what i wanted...i wanted full fledged open carry. now i have to stick with the side sweat and wet underwear that comes with an IWB holster.

[Sam Axe]Buncha whiney little girls.....[/Sam Axe]

Edit:

Two of the three pro-gun bills have passed and are headed to the Governor’s desk. The last one is on its way back to the House where we hope it’ll be re-modified to be what we wanted in the first place.

Hardly a major debacle masterminded by the NRA.

Last edited:

mekender

Yea, Bogdenoff. She said it right on the senate floor “this is what the NRA wanted”…

And Obama has repeatedly said he was pro gun, that does not mean that he is... I have seen nothing published that said the NRA supported this amendment in any place other than here, just wanting a linkable source.

brboyer

And Obama has repeatedly said he was pro gun, that does not mean that he is... I have seen nothing published that said the NRA supported this amendment in any place other than here, just wanting a linkable source.

You have not seen any of the 28 e-mail alerts that I have received on this bill?

Here is a link to the NRA-ILA website.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/State/Specific.aspx?st=FL

In none of their communication do they speak out against it.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
In none of their communication do they speak out against it.

No, they haven't. Not publicly.

But they also haven't done anything to help. Hammer does this on her own. And I'm not entirely convinced that this 'smokescreen' approach wasn't intended to go down in flames from the beginning. Evers barely lifted a finger to defend or promote it. Hammer promoted only the thinly veiled subterfuge.

firedog

But they also haven't done anything to help. Hammer does this on her own. And I'm not entirely convinced that this 'smokescreen' approach wasn't intended to go down in flames from the beginning. Evers barely lifted a finger to defend or promote it. Hammer promoted only the thinly veiled subterfuge.
Bingo ixtow,

Oh by the way, the NRA is deleting any negative post on their facebook page about their failure on SB234. Isn’t that convenient for them? I think they are getting the message. Any and all pressures should be brought down on them to make sure they get the message. "You caved and you failed us on SB234"

NRA's page:
Senate Bill 234, introduced by Senator Greg Evers (R-2), was heard on the state Senate Floor on Wednesday, April 27 and amended to tighten the open carry protection language. Yesterday, SB 234 came up on the Senate Floor for debate and final passage and PASSED the Senate by a 26 to 11 vote and is now on its way to the Florida House where it must go to the floor of the full House.

SB 234 would make two changes to the “Right-to-Carry” law -- also known as the Concealed Weapons Licensing law and it would also conform Florida’s firearms purchase law with federal law. To view the bill as passed the Senate click here.

The bill basically does three (3) following things:

1. Provides that concealed weapons license holders may NOT be arrested because a firearm being carried concealed accidentally or inadvertently became visible to another person.
BullS**t, it is up to the interpretation of LEO as to accidentally or inadvertently
2. Provides that concealed weapons license holders may store a firearm in private vehicle anywhere the vehicle is lawfully parked except those places that are exempted under s. 790.251(7) -- the parking lot law.
was already in effect
3. Removes the obsolete firearms purchase in contiguous state law previously required by federal law for out of state purchases of long guns and replaces it with language to conform to current federal requirements that allows purchase of long guns in other states.
Big f'ing deal, federal law already addressed that.

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran

Marion Hammer actually did a lot to help but she can't be expected to let an NRA priority bill fail to support open carry.

Until NRA makes Open Carry a priority, Florida Carry is leading the charge.

Last edited:

Rick H

Marion Hammer actually did a lot to help but she can't be expected to let an NRA priority bill fail to support open carry.

Don't get me wrong I respect that and it is great that there are people out here trying to fight for us and are right.
But lets look at it this way what would be easier swatting a fly with a fly swatter
or a Que-tip ????? They need to be hit fast and hard.

firedog

Stogie, with all due respect and I do mean respect as best I can portray it. The NRA’s priority towards this bill was victory at all cost. They continuously touted the bill as the “open carry bill”. When they feared a defeat they caved and changed it. I think Evers made it clear what happened when he stood on that floor and said “this is no longer an open carry bill”. He did everything but mention NRA by name. The bill is useless now and the only winner is the NRA.

As you can see I am still on my soap box and continuing to voice my disappointment with the NRA. I still think they are the ones that failed. I understand Ms. Hammer works for the NRA and it’s her job to promote and protect their interest. Had they not falsely endorsed the bill as “open carry” I would have more respect for them. Had they called it a concealed carry protection bill I might not be so pissed off.

I think they need to get the message. I understand not from you. You have a job and the bridges need to be maintained. However, you are in a position to inform them of your membership’s concerns. Good luck dude!

Last edited: