Thread: Med student fired over gun

Med student fired over gun

"The University of Kentucky has fired a graduate student and former anesthesia technician, Michael Mitchell, for keeping a gun in his car a mile away from the university hospital where he was employed."

http://gunowners.org/a04272011.htm
    "I believe that a person's moral compass can be determined by how he references free men the right to defend themselves." - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by condeist View Post
    "The University of Kentucky has fired a graduate student and former anesthesia technician, Michael Mitchell, for keeping a gun in his car a mile away from the university hospital where he was employed."

http://gunowners.org/a04272011.htm
    Previous thread:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ty-of-Kentucky

Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar
    However unjust, there may be consequences for standing up to claim your rights. We must be prepared to contend for our rights by due process after suffering enforcement. If you are not ready to encounter ignorant or malicious authorities then you must think twice about making a display of your principals.
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

How is having it in his car a mile away a "display of his principles"? (Note correct spelling.)
    Wearing an empty holster at work would be a display of principles that is perfectly within the law & (probably) employer rules.

Mitchell had a Kentucky concealed carry permit, believed he had fully complied with Kentucky law governing concealed carry, and therefore cooperated fully with police and university authorities.
    DON'T TALK TO COPS!!!

Kentucky Revised Statutes sec. 27.020...“[n]o person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit” a concealed carry permit holder from transporting a firearm in his vehicle in accordance with law.
    Yet the judge said the U did nothing wrong!
    Luckily the KY Supremes agreed to hear the appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

For some reason the link isn't working on my work computer. How did they find out he had a gun a mile away in his car anyway?

I will be shocked if this doesn't get overturned on appeal. That circuit judge has no nuts and more thankfully, no teeth
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.

like most stories nowadays, there are some questions.

was his car on hospital property?

and as Brion asked how did they know?
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

i think that unfortunately is probably SOL, if the hospital has some sort of morality clause in there employment conditions that could and most likely will argue that b/c a doctor takes an oath to "first, do no harm" that owning a handgun is incompatible with that

i think it's a BS argument but the only way it will be settled is more than likely by the SCOTUS saying that no one may prohibit someone who legally can possess a firearm from owning one even as a condition of employment

crap like this shouldn't happen in the US
    GO PIRATES!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brion View Post
    For some reason the link isn't working on my work computer. How did they find out he had a gun a mile away in his car anyway?
    Because he told them.

They had a report that he was keeping a gun in his locker. He wasn't, and showed them, and explained that his gun was securely stowed in his car. They asked to check it just to make sure, and he foolishly agreed.