• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Sen. Mike Green tells teacher/audience "guns are ok in school"... WINNING!

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
State Sen. Mike Green tells teacher/audience "guns are ok in school"... WINNING!

http://www.michigansthumb.com/articles/2011/04/27/news/local_news/doc4db7ff6b7bd47310474021.txt

Fair Use excerpt:

Guns

One teacher in attendance was concerned about legislation Green sponsored that would allow people to carry concealed weapons in carry-free zones, including schools.

“If that’s true, are we trying to eliminate class size or what?” the teacher asked, resulting in loud laughter from those in attendance.

“It’s not funny,” Green replied. “Because a lot of schools have eliminated class size by that. And I can show you school after school after school. What I am saying is somebody, somewhere in a school, ought to have a gun. And everybody in schools say, ‘don’t bring a gun into my school — unless it’s with a police man.’ Well you know what happens when somebody brings a gun into a school illegally, you know what happens? They shoot anybody they see and nobody stops them.”

Green said municipalities have been cut back so much, there’s not enough police to respond quickly enough to a school shooting. He asked Huron County Sheriff Kelly J. Hanson, who was at Monday’s meeting, how many deputies were out on the road at the time. Hanson said there were three deputies currently working.

“And if somebody brought a gun into Port Hope, chances are there wouldn’t be anybody there to protect those kids,” Green said. “How would you propose to protect them?”

The teacher replied there are emergency procedures in place and teachers know what to do with their students.

“And I’ll tell you what, I would lay down my life for my students, and I don’t need a gun to do it,” she added.

“I don’t mean to be mean, but they’d shoot you and your student,” Green replied.

He noted under current Michigan law, anyone can carry a gun in school strapped on its side as long as its visible — guns just cannot be concealed in school.

“And it’s been that way ever since this state has been a state,” Green said.

B

Bikenut

Anyone made the attorneys for MOC aware of this? It might have a bearing on the current unpleasantness with the Lansing Library....

Last edited by a moderator:

DetroitBiker

"He noted under current Michigan law, anyone can carry a gun in school strapped on its side as long as its visible — guns just cannot be concealed in school."

He clearly misspoke, not anyone or everyone is able to Open Carry in a school.
either he does not know about the GFSZ act of 1995 or he didn't mention that a CPL holder was exempt and could carry in a GFSZ ,just not concealed.

Golden Eagle

"He noted under current Michigan law, anyone can carry a gun in school strapped on its side as long as its visible — guns just cannot be concealed in school."

He clearly misspoke, not anyone or everyone is able to Open Carry in a school.
either he does not know about the GFSZ act of 1995 or he didn't mention that a CPL holder was exempt and could carry in a GFSZ ,just not concealed.

I'm surprised no one seems to agree with my opinion. I posted this months ago, the License to Purchase and Carry is a license and the OC PFZ's do not include schools. IMO we can OC in a school even without a CPL with our registered guns.

Last edited:

Michigander

I'm surprised no one seems to agree with my opinion. I posted this months ago, the License to Purchase and Carry is a license and the OC PFZ's do not include schools. IMO we can OC in a school even without a CPL with our registered guns.

I wouldn't. Many schools, perhaps most schools, have day care centers, many have sports arenas, most have theaters, some have places or worship. Remember that if they have any of these any where on the property, a non CPL holder can't so much as OC in their parking lot.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

I wouldn't. Many schools, perhaps most schools, have day care centers, many have sports arenas, most have theaters, some have places or worship. Remember that even if they have any of these any where on the property, a non CPL holder can't so much as OC in their parking lot.
I agree with that but you added details about what I posted.

Schools aren't included in 750.234d http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dn...g.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-234d

If I'm wrong that's fine but show me the law.

Bronson

If I'm wrong that's fine but show me the law.

Ok, here you go....

750.237a

(4) Except as provided in subsection (5), an individual who possesses a weapon in a weapon free school zone is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by 1 or more of the following:

(a) Imprisonment for not more than 93 days.

(b) Community service for not more than 100 hours.

(c) A fine of not more than $2,000.00.

(5) Subsection (4) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An individual employed by or contracted by a school if the possession of that weapon is to provide security services for the school.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) An individual licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) An individual who possesses a weapon provided by a school or a school's instructor on school property for purposes of providing or receiving instruction in the use of that weapon.

(e) An individual who possesses a firearm on school property if that possession is with the permission of the school's principal or an agent of the school designated by the school's principal or the school board.

(f) An individual who is 18 years of age or older who is not a student at the school and who possesses a firearm on school property while transporting a student to or from the school if any of the following apply:

(i) The individual is carrying an antique firearm, completely unloaded, in a wrapper or container in the trunk of a vehicle while en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area or function involving the exhibition, demonstration or sale of antique firearms.

(ii) The individual is carrying a firearm unloaded in a wrapper or container in the trunk of the person's vehicle, while in possession of a valid Michigan hunting license or proof of valid membership in an organization having shooting range facilities, and while en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.

(iii) The person is carrying a firearm unloaded in a wrapper or container in the trunk of the person's vehicle from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business or to a place of repair or back to his or her home or place of business, or in moving goods from one place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(iv) The person is carrying an unloaded firearm in the passenger compartment of a vehicle that does not have a trunk, if the person is otherwise complying with the requirements of subparagraph (ii) or (iii) and the wrapper or container is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(6) As used in this section:

(a) “Antique firearm” means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or a replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(b) “School” means a public, private, denominational, or parochial school offering developmental kindergarten, kindergarten, or any grade from 1 through 12.

(c) “School property” means a building, playing field, or property used for school purposes to impart instruction to children or used for functions and events sponsored by a school, except a building used primarily for adult education or college extension courses.

(d) “Weapon free school zone” means school property and a vehicle used by a school to transport students to or from school property.

Only two ways for non-police or contracted security to carry a loaded pistol in a school. It must be OC (because 28.425o restricts CC on school property) and you must either have a CPL or permission from the principal.

So I guess technically anybody can carry on school property...they just have to convince the principal to give them permission.

Bronson

Last edited: