• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dead Robber, Unloaded gun

CalicoJack10

This was shared by someone on facebook, and I found it appropriate to share it here.

http://www.ketv.com/r/23309461/detail.html

First it was turned into a racial issue, then the boy's mother said this "I slept well last night and the night before for the first time, and it really felt good because I didn't have to wonder where my son is at,"

Antone in that situation that was responsible and armed would have done the same thing.

Shooters Interview http://www.ketv.com/video/23311784/detail.html

Last edited:

nigmalg

"...and the person that did take my son's life, he has to live with that for the rest of his life"

And the repercussions for threatening the lives of everyone in the Walgreens with an armed robbery? Oh that's right, nothing.

You know, it does suck that a human being died. But leave it at that. Any reasonable person, black or white, would have protected themselves in that situation.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
"the person that did take my son's life, he has to live with that for the rest of his life"

Trust me lady, he's not losing sleep over the loss of your son. L2parent

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

"Living in this world as a black man was the hardest things he dealt with," Kim Thomas said.
Give me a break. That is so racist, it's not even worth considering.

If the hardest thing he had to deal with was the level of melanin in his skin, he had a pretty easy life. I can think of lots worse things to have to deal with.

Hell, I was born with prematurely gray hair, who'd you like to go through life with That Handicap?

CalicoJack10

There is also the fact that one of the "Defender's" bullets went down the barrel of the "assailent's" gun. That means that the gun had to be pointed at him.

The simple fact is that if someone is threatening those around me with a shotgun, I am not going to take the time to see if it is loaded. This guy odviously waited until the robber turned around and pointed that shotgun at him before he shot the robber. That is a lot more testies than I have, considering the damage a shotgun can do, I am not waiting, I am dumping a round or 2 into the guy and holding his buddy at bay.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The shooter may face CCW charge??? And why would the shooter go on camera and say he wasn't afraid. I wouldn't talk to the media in the first place and if I did I surely wouldn't have said that. I would have said I was afraid for my life and those around me. Oh well.

HKcarrier

I wonder what would have happened if the shooter was OCing.... I bet he wouldn't have had to kill that kid. Who knows....

I agree...the bullet down the barrel shows the gun was pointed in his direction.

Sounds like the kid has been out of control for a while... parents not willing to put in the hard work of reeling him back in. They just throw up their hands and then wonder why/how something like this can happen... NEWSFLASH: You're not good parents.

In order for him to fall back on his good up bringing, he has to have a good up bringing.

Last edited:

jeeper1

The county attorney said McCullough fired eight shots; four bullets hit Thomas and one got lodged in the barrel of Thomas' shot gun.
That doesn't say the bullet went down the barrel, it could very well have entered the barrel from the side and stuck there.

Blk97F150

FYI... this incident is over a year old. As I recall, the shooter was not charged related to the shooting. He was charged with carrying concealed without a permit (or something similar), but I think that was eventually dropped.

VW_Factor

That doesn't say the bullet went down the barrel, it could very well have entered the barrel from the side and stuck there.

Reading the article wasn't clear. Then watching the interview, he mentioned that a round went down the shotgun barrel. /shrug

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
"Living in this world as a black man was the hardest things he dealt with," Kim Thomas said.

Give me a break. That is so racist, it's not even worth considering.

Funny, the many black professionals I work with don't put that very high on the list of hard things they deal with. Then again, none of them are criminals. Saaaayyy...do you suppose...just thinkin' out loud here...is it possible that being a criminal POS was actually what made his life hard?!

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
The shooter may face CCW charge??? And why would the shooter go on camera and say he wasn't afraid. I wouldn't talk to the media in the first place and if I did I surely wouldn't have said that. I would have said I was afraid for my life and those around me. Oh well.

I would've said, "Damn right I was afraid! With that shotgun pointing at me, I was as scared as I've ever been!"

And ya know what? I would have been telling the truth!

Japle

She should have tried living as a black person in Nashville in the late ‘40s and early ‘50s when I was growing up.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What a plethora of conflicting statements from Thomas' mother:

"Thomas' mother, Kim Thomas, described her son as quiet, reserved, trustworthy and laid back.

This is the antithesis of a person who robs drug stores with a shotgun.

She said he was also influenced by peer pressure and changed so much in the past year that she barely recognized him.

So then he wasn't quite exactly "quiet, reserved, trustworthy and laid back," at least not any more.

The parents both described their son as increasingly depressed and aloof.

So then he definately was no longer "quiet, reserved, trustworthy and laid back."

She said she knew this is how his life would end.
"Every time I hear a gunshot, I grab the phone and call to make sure it wasn't my son," she said.

So then she was probably well aware of the fact his activities were of such a nature he would likely run afoul of the law, or worse.

The past year made her realize she had lost contact with the son she once knew, the mother said.

So then she was definately aware of the fact her son was no longer the "quiet, reserved, trustworthy and laid back" person she once knew.

She said when he was shot outside King Science School in April 2009, that was just the beginning. "My son was shot. Three months ago, my son dropped out of school. The last two months, my son stayed away," Kim Thomas said.

So then the change in his behavior from the "quiet, reserved, trustworthy and laid back" person she once knew was so severe it was readily apparent to her and others that it was dramatically changing the course of his life.

She said she has already forgiven McCullough...

For what? Defending himself and others against rampant, armed violence during an attempted robbery?

...though she is disturbed that he's being called a hero.

Why? Because he defended himself and others against rampant, armed violence during an attempted robbery?

The two surviving suspects are known gang members. Anyone care to wager the deceased was a gang member, as well?

Anyone care to wager the real issue here is that many people in our society simply cannot think straight, and because they cannot think straight, their actions, or lack thereof, are out of synch with reality?

j4l

I wonder what would have happened if the shooter was OCing.... I bet he wouldn't have had to kill that kid. Who knows....

I agree...the bullet down the barrel shows the gun was pointed in his direction.

Sounds like the kid has been out of control for a while... parents not willing to put in the hard work of reeling him back in. They just throw up their hands and then wonder why/how something like this can happen... NEWSFLASH: You're not good parents.

In order for him to fall back on his good up bringing, he has to have a good up bringing.

Wow, I've waited forever to hear someone other than myself actually say this. Thank you. I was beginning to think I was nuts or something.
Worked for over 2 years in a major trauma center near me. Night after night after night we'd have the surviving family of yet another worthless dirtbag carrying on like that upon hearing that their little monster did not survive being an armed monster.

Always this "why why why my baaabaay" crap. And every time I had to bite my tongue to refrain from saying:

"Well,jackass. Your crackhead,gangsta-wannabe,worthless kid went out and did what that both you and he knew to be wrong,and he paid the price for it-had you done your part, MAYBE this could have been avoided.".

HKcarrier

Exactly... most of the parents know damn well what is going on. They're just too lazy or stupid OR the fact that the GOVT has put the kibosh on actual parenting.