• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LANDLORD AND OPEN CARRY please help, again...

Joe GlockStar

so i dealt with the problem in my last post, the store managers asking me to cover my gun...now today at 12 noon i get a call from the appartment office i live in, saying there has been multiple complaints against me open carrying in my building and parking lot, sometimes with my kid...i advised her that it was legal and that statue 624.14 sd 17.c says that land lords cant restrict a residents carry...my local sheriff said i was ok and couldnt get in any trouble or b evicted and the land lords threat to "post" the building if i dont cover my gun isnt legal...my attorney was out of office today but will return my call tomorrow. they said this was the first step,second being cops/court and what not...or simply cover my gun, which i explained i will not due unless told to by my lawyer or sheriff.i told her i open carry because when im carrying my 5month old son on my left shoulder i have only one hand to extract my gun, rack it on my pants (explaining i usually dont carry with one in chamber for safety) and then proceed with my self defense, so that i needed to carry that way in that situation and theres nothing she can do about it...she hated my response but so far it doesnt matter! any input as to where im at risk of any reprecussions?am i wrong? what can happen to me? (chalk one for the OC'ers)

Joe GlockStar

my XDM or glock, any hammerless striker fired gun really, no harm or chance of ND by keeping finger out of trigger guard and pushing the muzzle downward toward your feet while making the front or rear sight bite your jeans to rack the slide,just like mas ayoob and MANY others teach u to reload with one hand, holster the gun after dropping mag, grab mag, slide mag in, redraw gun, rack on jeans, how else would u rack the gun with one hand?provided that u didnt just hit the thumb slide release?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP how else would u rack the gun with one hand?provided that u didnt just hit the thumb slide release?

Yeah. I always hate racking the slide with my teeth. It makes me have to spit out the grenade pull pin. I mean, what if I need to put the pin back?

:D

Joe GlockStar

my teeth are to sensitive for todays cheaply made nade pins:shocker:...gotta utilize your feet man, its what makes the apes so pimp...imagine a chimp that had the brain capacity to shoot, he would have 4 limbs able to shoot unlike our 2...would make rambo look like bambi...:cool:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP my teeth are to sensitive for todays cheaply made nade pins

Oh, man. Too easy to solve. You just need more calcium and phosphorus in your diet.

Just cut open a WP grenade, under water, and chow down on the contents.

You'll be biting the muzzle-brakes off howitzers in no time.

:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
get a call from the appartment office i live in, saying there has been multiple complaints against me open carrying in my building and parking lot

Am somewhat perplexed by your profile location versus in another thread that you indicate you lived in Minnesota. Clarify/explain please.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Why do you just NOT pull the trigger until ready to fire? I use to carry a glock with out one in the tube, then one day I said hmm...I think I'll just not shoot it till ready o-O

eye95

You OC because it makes you more able to respond than CC does, but then you have to rack the slide on your pants?!?! I think a macho move like that is more dangerous than carrying one in the pipe! Frankly, you'd have a better chance of defending yourself from CC than with that racking maneuver.

Oh, and would you consider using complete sentences and paragraphs? The ... style of streaming consciousness is hard to read and follow.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Not a choice I want to make, drop my child, or stand there with an empty gun!

You need to start carrying one in the pipe if you are reduced to only having one hand available, otherwise you may as well leave the pistol on the dresser. Or get a double action revolver.
Keep the booger-hook out of the trigger guard, use a proper holster, and your perceived problems are solved.

Why won't you just carry concealed? it is a viable option in your state, and all these problems would be a non-issue.

With me being from WI, where our only option outside of our home or business is to O-C, that is our only option, but if I had the legal ability to conceal, I would have a light jacket covering it just to avoid the problems you are facing.
Getting through a piece of cloth is a hell of alot easier than trying to rack the slide one handed. And even with 2 hands, the few moments it takes to load a round could be the difference between your child going fatherless or surviving an encounter.

Lady Glock

so i dealt with the problem in my last post, the store managers asking me to cover my gun...now today at 12 noon i get a call from the appartment office i live in, saying there has been multiple complaints against me open carrying in my building and parking lot, sometimes with my kid...i advised her that it was legal and that statue 624.14 sd 17.c says that land lords cant restrict a residents carry...my local sheriff said i was ok and couldnt get in any trouble or b evicted and the land lords threat to "post" the building if i dont cover my gun isnt legal...my attorney was out of office today but will return my call tomorrow. they said this was the first step,second being cops/court and what not...or simply cover my gun, which i explained i will not due unless told to by my lawyer or sheriff.i told her i open carry because when im carrying my 5month old son on my left shoulder i have only one hand to extract my gun, rack it on my pants (explaining i usually dont carry with one in chamber for safety) and then proceed with my self defense, so that i needed to carry that way in that situation and theres nothing she can do about it...she hated my response but so far it doesnt matter! any input as to where im at risk of any reprecussions?am i wrong? what can happen to me? (chalk one for the OC'ers)

Ok, are you in Ohio or Minnesota? If Minnesota, read on...

I had a landlord threaten me with eviction/non renewal of my lease for having a gun on premises. They informed me my lease would not renew. I gathered signatures from my neighbors saying they didn't have any problem with me carrying. The manager wouldn't hear any of it and continued with the forced move.

She was fired shortly before my lease ran out. The owner said they had no problem with me having a gun...they were just supporting the managers decision... and with the signatures and letters I got about my training, and her being fired, they let me renew.

They can non-renew with no explanation...so if you decide to continue carrying in the open, start looking for a new place to rent.

Claytron

You need to start carrying one in the pipe if you are reduced to only having one hand available, otherwise you may as well leave the pistol on the dresser. Or get a double action revolver.
Keep the booger-hook out of the trigger guard, use a proper holster, and your perceived problems are solved.

Why won't you just carry concealed? it is a viable option in your state, and all these problems would be a non-issue.

With me being from WI, where our only option outside of our home or business is to O-C, that is our only option, but if I had the legal ability to conceal, I would have a light jacket covering it just to avoid the problems you are facing.
Getting through a piece of cloth is a hell of alot easier than trying to rack the slide one handed. And even with 2 hands, the few moments it takes to load a round could be the difference between your child going fatherless or surviving an encounter.

this is it doesnt matter how much you practice or how many snazzy little "booger hooker off the bang switch" type safety rules you tell yourself... a negligent discharge is still possible and for some people its a risk they dont want to take, especially on a glock type pistol where the few situations where it might go off (clothing/danglingshirt part lumped into holster) are going to be while re-holstering without clearing the holster

mustangkiller

Now that everyone has told you how to carry I'll tell you how to make your landlord ****.....

You tyr'd to be nice, it didn't work. Now your gonna have to be mean. Tell them that if they keep trying to violate your rights and threatening you with police action you will soon be the new owner of the complex and they will all be out of a job. Have your atty. write up a cease and desist (sp?) order and mail it to them certified mail. The letter will explain that if they continue with this matter they will be sued to the fullest extent allowed by law. If you or anyone near you is hurt because of the way they forced you to carry they will then be liable for any damages as well as possible criminal charges.

That should shut them up. If it doesn't your gonna have to make good on your threats of legal action. If you don't they will think your a push over and try more stupid crap. Hope that helps.

irish52084

Not much I can tell you about you landlord situation. What I will say is heed the advice others have given here and start carrying with a round chambered. I know some people are not comfortable with a chambered round, but train that fear away.

I have the same dilemma as you with your son, I often have to carry my son and OC strong side makes it much easier to draw if needed. I carry chambered, as I don't think racking a slide when attacked is the best course of action. Racking the slide requires too much effort when tenths of a second matter. If you can, maybe a retention holster you can still operate easily 1 handed would be a good idea.

Remember, a gun is a machine and it will not suddenly become self aware and shoot you. Just like a hammer doesn't build the fence for you, though I wish it did.

XD40coyote

I have 2 XD's and checked and rechecked the safety mechanisms unloaded with dry firing, and the mechanisms all work. Then I started carrying +1 a little here and there, and no ND's or AD's. Conclusion- carry your XD in a level 2 serpa or a nice retentive leather holster like a thumb break-with a round chambered. The release on the serpa makes your bang finger go alongside the bang switch, which is what you should have hardwired into your brain already with dry unloaded practice draws and handlings, but it can help you to hardwire it if you aren't quite there yet. I mean jeeze cmon I carry with one in the pipe, if I can do it, you can too. I've even had a toddler crawling all over my lap while OCing and in public.

Joe GlockStar

Now that everyone has told you how to carry I'll tell you how to make your landlord ****.....

You tyr'd to be nice, it didn't work. Now your gonna have to be mean. Tell them that if they keep trying to violate your rights and threatening you with police action you will soon be the new owner of the complex and they will all be out of a job. Have your atty. write up a cease and desist (sp?) order and mail it to them certified mail. The letter will explain that if they continue with this matter they will be sued to the fullest extent allowed by law. If you or anyone near you is hurt because of the way they forced you to carry they will then be liable for any damages as well as possible criminal charges.

That should shut them up. If it doesn't your gonna have to make good on your threats of legal action. If you don't they will think your a push over and try more stupid crap. Hope that helps.

i have no legal actions to threaten really, im not gonna sue them but i flat out told her and gave her the the particular laws and said tuff crap im free to do as i please....as forcarrying with one chambered, i hate SERPAS. if u need something to ensure you dont draw with your finger of the trigger, IMHO u need to revert to basic gun familiarity and training. i am unofficially (no longer certified instructor) an "advanced" and in most other training and qualifications "expert" status as far as handgun safety and advanced operation of handguns in stress enviroments. my decision to carry without a round in the go go tube is due to my advanced mechanical knowledge in metalurgy and the fact that metal can do funny things, safety mechanisms DO fail and a striker or hammer CAN be released even in a level 3 holster sitting on a shelf. (do not spam me with all the reasons that this situation is impossible, guns can and have discharged due to mechanical failure or metal unlatching itself from what it was resting on or hooked to.) if u use your slide release for a few years u CAN render it inoperable by the way it works, it grinds itself on the notch it rests into on the slide. i only chamber in certain situations and i am sufficiently trained to rack a slide upon draw just as fast as someone who has one chambered. try it one time, draw and rack using your pant leg, its easy.
sorry that most replies went off subject due to people critisizing my carry method, my original question remains un dealt with:p