• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If at first you don't succeed, fight, FIGHT AGAIN!

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
For this year, we have failed to legalize common sense open carry provisions that would protect the right of Floridians to bear arms in whatever manner is appropriate to their environment and situation.

The Florida Senate accepted a last minute amendment by Sen. Bogdanoff (R) that removed the well considered open carry provision and replaced it with language that is subjective, vague, and only intended to address the NRA's sole OC "talking point" of momentary or inadvertent exposure of a licensee's concealed, handgun.

Florida Carry, Inc. was formed to protect all Americans who choose to exercise their fundamental right to bear arms for self defense while residents or visitors to the great state of Florida. We are quite encouraged by our recent political victories in multiple Florida counties and the pending success of HB 45 (Preemption Enforceability)
We are working on a "hail Mary" effort to salvage the current open carry bill.

We are also already drafting next year's pro-gun legislation and planning additional "grass roots" activities for our members.

Remember that it took 7 years for "Shall Issue" concealed carry to pass here. This is a fight that WE WILL WIN! For it be successful, we need you to Join Florida Carry and be ready to advocate loudly (but politely) for our rights.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm all for the efforts you're making, even if we don't see eye to eye all the time. I just don't have another 7 years to waste. I'm sure my absence won't make much difference. ;-)

~*'Phoenix'*~

Likewise. I'll continue to support our fight, as Florida is worth fighting for; if it weren't for the full ban against open carry, Florida otherwise has some of the best preemption/vehicle/groundwork laws for gun ownership.And I'll always have family in Florida... But I'm graduating later this year, and if I have any opportunity to move my life to a free state, I'm gone.
We'll need OC bills introduced every year. I'll keep signing the petitions, just let me know where they are.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Don't give up yet, if the house passes the clean version of 517, it goes to a conference committee, and if the house won't back down, can't they force the senate to vote on the clean version?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Don't give up yet, if the house passes the clean version of 517, it goes to a conference committee, and if the house won't back down, can't they force the senate to vote on the clean version?

The House can't force the Senate to do anything.

Like our Fearless Leader said; Hail Mary.

Oceanfront property in Arizona....

The operative term being, Arizona. Screw Floriduh.

Last edited:

lowlux

there any chance of put the open carry part back in the bill?

~*'Phoenix'*~

there any chance of put the open carry part back in the bill?

there's a chance of the house passing the clean version, then they go to conference committee between houses to try to reconcile to two. Mayne they can put pressure on the senate saying they won't settle for anything less, and make the neocons show themselves for what they are by voting against a pro-2a bill.

RRobaldo

I hope and pray that open carry can be resurrected. But I'm not gonna hold my breath. If not THIS year, we will try again NEXT year, AND THE YEAR AFTER, ad infinitum!

I'm still trying to be optimistic and see that other parts of the law aren't so bad, but I too feel the dismay of losing the open carry component.

Personally, I don't think we need SB-234 AT ALL! :shocker:

Now that I've got your attention...

What we really need is COMPLETE REPEAL of 790.60, 790.251, and possibly a few more and LET THE CONSTITUTION STAND!

Doesn't ANYONE in politics understand the meaning of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

jonkknox

Remember that it took 7 years for "Shall Issue" concealed carry to pass here. This is a fight that WE WILL WIN! For it be successful, we need you to Join Florida Carry and be ready to advocate loudly (but politely) for our rights.

This is a very good point. Even though Open Carry is common sense to all of us, the "fear factor" is great for those who don't understand (and those who do, but are just so anti-liberty that they are afraid of the law abiding gun owner!!)

I am beyond pissed today, but right now I'm looking at it this way.. It took several years to get shall issue. It'll probably take a few to get open carry. But I'm 21 years old and I get a couple things out of that fact: just a couple years before my short life began, we were in a much worse place than we are today. (Looking at maps like this http://www.kc3.com/CCW_progress.htm) Also.. I understand the frustration desire to GTFout of Dodge. I lived in rural VA for a few months, what a difference! Nonetheless, I'm pretty much tied to Florida, and I got a lot of fight left. Looking forward to working with Florida Carry in the future.

jonkknox

P.S. I knew Florida Senate terms were an astonishingly long 8 years... but I was pleased to see that in 2012, we can send any or all of the 40 packing.

10x

P.S. I knew Florida Senate terms were an astonishingly long 8 years... but I was pleased to see that in 2012, we can send any or all of the 40 packing.

We need to compile a list of them now and start campaigning against them!
Need to email the turds too!

77zach

May as well go for the hail mary. SB 234 is meaningless now anyway. Who cares if nothing gets through? Same result for OC.

I'm a member of Florida Carry and I'll do what I can next year.

~*'Phoenix'*~

Please inform me... besides the religious reference, does this "Hail Mary" effort mean anything else too?

~*'Phoenix'*~

Yeah, I'm all for the whole last-stand-to-the-last-breath-even-after-we-know-it's-over concept. Let me know what to do, I'll keep emailing them. Heck, I even found the balls to call both Evers and Boggie's assistants to comment on the amendment yesterday. I'll call peeps.

77zach

It didn't work. I'm off to start drafting next year's OC bill!

You see Dean vote against the new SB 234 too? Wonder what his reasoning was.

Hey, look at the elegance of the TX OC bill during your drafts. Post them here for review if you want.

In TX, they're just deleting the word "concealed" before every instance of "handgun" related to the licensing law.

I don't want to wait 7 years. Mass protests between then and now. whatever. I'm game.