• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2nd Amendment Advocates Across The US Have Much To Be Proud Of In California

Iopencarry

Thank you Chau.

If we(all gun rights groups) and supporters, would work together instead of always butting head, we can get things done.
This was NOT an open carry issue, it was a total ban on gun stores. Together, the OC groups, Cal Guns, Tea party, NRA, VFW, and many other citizens came together in the fight for this.

Together, WE can make a difference.

district9

Good article.

But from my perspective as a non-Californian who loves California the biggest thorn in my side about CA gun laws is that non-CA residents are really second class citizens ie the only thing worse than being a CA gun enthusiast is to be non-CA gun enthusiast visiting CA.

Think about it. Many CA counties are actually very gun friendly, but state law prohibits non-CA residents from even applying for CA CC permits while not honoring their home state permit. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that any OC allowed in CA is also prohibited for non-CA residents.

Iopencarry

Good article.

But from my perspective as a non-Californian who loves California the biggest thorn in my side about CA gun laws is that non-CA residents are really second class citizens ie the only thing worse than being a CA gun enthusiast is to be non-CA gun enthusiast visiting CA.

Think about it. Many CA counties are actually very gun friendly, but state law prohibits non-CA residents from even applying for CA CC permits while not honoring their home state permit. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that any OC allowed in CA is also prohibited for non-CA residents.

OC is legal for everyone, resident or not. OC does not require a licence, nor does it re any form of ID. So how can they say your are /are not a resident of CA?

district9

OC is legal for everyone, resident or not. OC does not require a licence, nor does it re any form of ID. So how can they say your are /are not a resident of CA?

Thanks for that info. You're referring to unloaded OC only, right? IIRC loaded OC is permitted in counties under 200,000 population, but that requires a CC permit, right? Which again is not available for non-residents.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Thanks for that info. You're referring to unloaded OC only, right? IIRC loaded OC is permitted in counties under 200,000 population, but that requires a CC permit, right? Which again is not available for non-residents.

There are two types of licenses made available in the California Penal Code. One authorizes concealed carry, the other authorizes loaded and exposed carry. The latter is only available in counties that have a population of less than 200K people- but no one I know is aware of any issuing agency that has ever issued one. Neither of these licenses are required to lawfully transport a holstered firearm.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
The only one I've ever heard of is the one that supposedly sparked AB1934

If I recall correctly, AB1934 was a retread of 2003 legislation, revived as a response to a mass open carry event in San Diego held in February 2009. I dont believe there was any sort of licensing issue being used as a catalyst for Saldana's bill.

mjones

If I recall correctly, AB1934 was a retread of 2003 legislation, revived as a response to a mass open carry event in San Diego held in February 2009. I dont believe there was any sort of licensing issue being used as a catalyst for Saldana's bill.

For some reason my memory of the involvement is sketchy (early alzheimer's?) but I remember there being a big hub-bub from LAPD wanting to arrest an LOCer who was carrying on an 12050 LOC license...but they couldn't. I can't remember if it was brought up here or at CalGuns...

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
For some reason my memory of the involvement is sketchy (early alzheimer's?) but I remember there being a big hub-bub from LAPD wanting to arrest an LOCer who was carrying on an 12050 LOC license...but they couldn't. I can't remember if it was brought up here or at CalGuns...

Actually, I remember this. The 12050 license hub-bub you are refering to was due to those licensed to conceal carrying, carrying their loaded weapons exposed. This resulted in legislation that altered the code in such a way as to preclude open carry while licensed to conceal carry. Im pretty certain this was covered over on Calguns. Prior to this, the license exemptions applied whether or not you chose to conceal.