• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive LEO interaction in Newport News

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
With all the info flying about negative interactions with the police in the last bit, I thought it would be good to relay a cute interaction from a couple of weeks ago. I was in an auto accident that left me and my family on the side of the interstate in Newport News. Unable to reach anyone local that could assist, it was decided to take us to the tow shop. To do this is no easy feat with 3 car seats.

As I am anchoring/fighting the two larger seats into the back of the cruiser, my shirt flies up from passing traffic. The officer turns to the two driver and comments "There's a man after my own heart, you don't see many carrying revolvers anymore" to which there is a bit of laughter. I hear about that comment later from the tow driver.

We have a short discussion on firearms in the tow yard as we are getting everything pulled out of the cruiser.

Bad situation, good LEO interaction

2a4all

With all the info flying about negative interactions with the police in the last bit, I thought it would be good to relay a cute interaction from a couple of weeks ago. I was in an auto accident that left me and my family on the side of the interstate in Newport News. Unable to reach anyone local that could assist, it was decided to take us to the tow shop. To do this is no easy feat with 3 car seats.

As I am anchoring/fighting the two larger seats into the back of the cruiser, my shirt flies up from passing traffic. The officer turns to the two driver and comments "There's a man after my own heart, you don't see many carrying revolvers anymore" to which there is a bit of laughter. I hear about that comment later from the tow driver.

We have a short discussion on firearms in the tow yard as we are getting everything pulled out of the cruiser.

Bad situation, good LEO interaction
It appears that NNPD Officers aren't shocked when encountering armed citizens, but pleasantly surprised when they turn out to be "Good Guys". I had a brief conversation with a NNPD Officer about revolvers, and his comment was "You only have six shots.":D.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It appears that NNPD Officers aren't shocked when encountering armed citizens, but pleasantly surprised when they turn out to be "Good Guys". I had a brief conversation with a NNPD Officer about revolvers, and his comment was "You only have six shots.":D.

Glad it was positive. I had bad reports about NNPD harassing photographers recently and am in the process of setting up to find out if they widespread problems or just a few cops.

The advantages of Revolvers...

Stronger, usually more accurate, don't have to chase brass, faster out of the holster first shot potential.

Disadvantages....

Less pointable, less concealable.

Repeater

Do you feel lucky?

Stronger, usually more accurate, don't have to chase brass, faster out of the holster first shot potential.

Disadvantages....

Well, lots of advantages. Would welcome more frequent sightings of revolvers, like the one below:

imagesclint-do-you-feel-lucky-small.jpg

[size=+2]Well, do yah, punk?[/size]

MR Redenck

I like 1911's. I also like wheel guns, specially the old stuff.
What I like to carry is 1911's. I am very, very fast to quick draw a 1911.

Im also always pleased to see, read, or hear about positive police stories involving firearms. That's how it is suppose to be. :cool:

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
I've had any number of York County deputies see me carrying when I am in local parking lots, esp. the one for Food Lion. They all notice, but just nod and pass by. Never a problem. Sheriff Diggs has done a great job in spreading the word to his staff.

Fran

Newport News flashback for me. I was there in the late 80's while stationed in the shipyard. Is that part of town still dangerous at certain times of the day? as for the encounter, you folks in Va seem to have some great gun laws and knowledgeable LEO's from what I have read.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, lots of advantages. Would welcome more frequent sightings of revolvers, like the one below:

imagesclint-do-you-feel-lucky-small.jpg

[SIZE=+2]Well, do yah, punk?[/SIZE]

You need to come to a dinner once in a while Repeater. I think I see that gun once in a while:monkey

Resto Guy

Newport News flashback for me. I was there in the late 80's while stationed in the shipyard. Is that part of town still dangerous at certain times of the day? as for the encounter, you folks in Va seem to have some great gun laws and knowledgeable LEO's from what I have read.

I used to live there also. I occasionally visit relatives on the peninsula. "That part" of town (East End) is worse, dangerous in broad daylight. Even Denbigh is a rough place to live now, and in the early 80's it was one of the safest.

2a4all

Glad it was positive. I had bad reports about NNPD harassing photographers recently and am in the process of setting up to find out if they widespread problems or just a few cops.

Disadvantages....

I changed my carry piece to a S&W M&P40c, whch has no safety. I had a conversation with a retired LEO (at Bass Pro) about carrying it with one in the chamber. He said that if I needed it, there likely wouldn't be time to chamber a round. He also said that when he practiced on the police range, his 1st 2 shots would likely end up in the dirt, but that he didn't care. He just continuued to bring the gun up to target and kept on firing. He felt that this was quite effective, as he would gain the advantage because it rattlled the bad guy. I switched to carrying with a round chambered. And oh, yeah, now I have (at least) 10 shots.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I changed my carry piece to a S&W M&P40c, whch has no safety. I had a conversation with a retired LEO (at Bass Pro) about carrying it with one in the chamber. He said that if I needed it, there likely wouldn't be time to chamber a round. He also said that when he practiced on the police range, his 1st 2 shots would likely end up in the dirt, but that he didn't care. He just continuued to bring the gun up to target and kept on firing. He felt that this was quite effective, as he would gain the advantage because it rattlled the bad guy. I switched to carrying with a round chambered. And oh, yeah, now I have (at least) 10 shots.

A round in the chamber is essential no matter what you carry.

I carry a 1911 when I have to carry an Auto. It is as fast as a double action revolver, more pointable and powerful enough. You still have to chase brass and a few personal dislikes that don't matter to others.

A single action revolver is the fastest first round handgun, but not practical for Burb Carry.

Police like the .40 and high capacity. Many don't shoot well and that's where the phrase "Spray and Pray" came from. Solid, first shot center mass or center groin, shots come from practice. Thousands of rounds from every position possible. There isn't any substitute.

I have a special dislike for the .40. The guns chambered for it are generally smallish and light and the little high pressure cartridge gives too much recoil for them...and the brass is usually unsuitable for reloading.

I collect the brass at ranges to swage out and use as jackets for my 45/70 bullets.

My first choice in a cartridge is the.45 Colt but it's hard to find guns that can be tuned for acceptable double action work so my second choice is the .44 Magnum.

The bottom line is you have to find a gun/cartridge that works for you...
Then shoot it a hell of a lot.

Fran

I used to live there also. I occasionally visit relatives on the peninsula. "That part" of town (East End) is worse, dangerous in broad daylight. Even Denbigh is a rough place to live now, and in the early 80's it was one of the safest.

Denbigh was a nice place to live in the late 80's. Did they empty out Hampton and Jefferson Ave by the shipyard and move the undesirables up there?

wylde007

He also said that when he practiced on the police range, his 1st 2 shots would likely end up in the dirt, but that he didn't care. He just continuued to bring the gun up to target and kept on firing.
The difference stalking with your gun "up" as opposed to "down" is that even if firing from a "down" position you still have a high potential to place a shot, if only on the legs or lower torso of your target.

Coming from an "up" stance (you know, like so many of those ridiculous cop drama shows) does nothing to that effect, plus you are bending at the elbow and have to adjust more to get on target.

Resto Guy

Denbigh was a nice place to live in the late 80's. Did they empty out Hampton and Jefferson Ave by the shipyard and move the undesirables up there?

Nothing was "emptied out", just ran out of room. Think roaches.
I read that the NNPD Headquarters was relocated out of the East End. Too much crime, I guess.

Fran

Nothing was "emptied out", just ran out of room. Think roaches.
I read that the NNPD Headquarters was relocated out of the East End. Too much crime, I guess.

Roaches, that is a good one. I used to hate leaving the shipyard and walking to my car on Washington Avenue. Not a good neighborhood at all.

Are the mansions that overlooked the shipyard still there? Those were nice homes in a lousy area.

Resto Guy

Roaches, that is a good one. I used to hate leaving the shipyard and walking to my car on Washington Avenue. Not a good neighborhood at all.

Are the mansions that overlooked the shipyard still there? Those were nice homes in a lousy area.

I think you are talking about those on Huntington, near the North Yard. As far as I know they are still there.
In the late 70's I used to pick up my father-in-law after second shift. It was a gate somewhere around 34th. Talk about a freak show traveling the sidewalks! I think a guy with 45 cents could probably pick up anything he wanted, and some things he didn't want.