• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive LEO interaction in Newport News

papa bear

maybe not OT. but i know all my tow truck driving friends carry and i have not had one yet. that didn't let me carry in the truck

Jonesy

A round in the chamber is essential no matter what you carry.

I carry a 1911 when I have to carry an Auto. It is as fast as a double action revolver, more pointable and powerful enough. You still have to chase brass and a few personal dislikes that don't matter to others.

A single action revolver is the fastest first round handgun, but not practical for Burb Carry.

Police like the .40 and high capacity. Many don't shoot well and that's where the phrase "Spray and Pray" came from. Solid, first shot center mass or center groin, shots come from practice. Thousands of rounds from every position possible. There isn't any substitute.

I have a special dislike for the .40. The guns chambered for it are generally smallish and light and the little high pressure cartridge gives too much recoil for them...and the brass is usually unsuitable for reloading.

I collect the brass at ranges to swage out and use as jackets for my 45/70 bullets.

My first choice in a cartridge is the.45 Colt but it's hard to find guns that can be tuned for acceptable double action work so my second choice is the .44 Magnum.

The bottom line is you have to find a gun/cartridge that works for you...
Then shoot it a hell of a lot.

Well I don't have as much experience as alot of you guys, but I sure like my Springfield xdm .40. It shoots pretty damn good without alot of recoil, and 17 rounds without reloading is tough to beat. Plus it is very easy to break down and clean. I have never shot a 1911, but there is so much talk of love for them, I think my next gun may be a 1911. I hear Ed Brown makes some nice ones.