Thread: WSJ: Wal-Mart Adds Guns Alongside Butter

WSJ: Wal-Mart Adds Guns Alongside Butter

This is a copyrighted WSJ article so I'll just paste a couple excerpts. The full article may be read here (may require subscription) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

Looks like Walley World figured out they were leaving money on the table by kowtowing to the banners.

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is quietly bringing back rifles, shotguns and ammunition to hundreds of U.S. stores as the hurting retail giant seeks to reinvigorate its one-stop shopping appeal and attract more male customers."....

"Yet as the largest seller of firearms and ammunition in America—even when guns were available in just one-third of its stores— the company has sometimes come under criticism from gun-control groups who say it makes weapons too easily accessible. It has also been rapped by gun rights groups such as the National Rifle Association who say it has caved to pressure from liberal activists. "

Better link. Whole story. Story gets worse, quoting only anti-gunners along the way.

TFred

Money talks.

Support them and put this nonsense behind us.

I'll be buying some guns along with working more on ammo stocks from there in the next few months.

It would be awesome if they started selling handguns too. If I know walmart, they would price competitively and cause prices to drop at other retailers in that market.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I don't think I will be going to the refridgerated section to get my shotgun of choice anytime soon. WSJ scare-tactic in this title. Anti-gun it is.

Though, you can take your butter to the sporting goods section and pay for it right along with that shotgun purchase. Just not the other way around. Running a shotgun across the scanner at the 20 Items or less check-out line would most likely get you in a wee bit of trouble.
    As long as you don't have more than 20 items, I don't see the problem.

Option 1: Wal-mart sells guns, I'll buy guns from Wal-mart.
    Option 2: Wal-mart doesn't sell guns, I got buy guns from gun shop. But it's just so hard (said in a whiney voice).

The way it works (at least where I bought guns from) you dont carry the damn thing around the store until your ready to check out. They( Walmart empoyee) will walk the gun in its box out the door,then give it to you. Thats the way it works. These damn bed wetters are sooooo ignorant and well, bed wetters. They are the reason I OC.

Still no pistols.

All the Walmarts I frequent already sell guns.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
    The problem iv always had at Walmart is that the folks working it dont know their ass from a hole in the ground. Had one try to tell me i had to submit to a background check to buy a blackpowder rifle. Ill shop at a store that that knows its business. that and im not a big fan of the type of people that Walmart attracts for the most part. fell my IQ drop 10 points just walking in the door.

I still won't shop at WalMart willingly for any reason.

Wal-Mart sold guns long before they sold butter.

I know they dropped firearms from some stores, and some new stores never carried them, but I've never been in a Wal-Mart that didn't have a gun counter.

Why would anybody consider buying a rifle or handgun from Wal-Mart?

You can't compete with the superior customer service and down-home feel of a private shop that you become accustomed to.

I had my favorite in Washington, and I am sure I will develop a partnership with my local dealer here as well.

Support mom and pop shops. They make the best gun shops anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

My takeaway on Wal-Mart choosing to reconsider guns and ammo sales is they've recognized the value of whom they employ for what tasks. You simply must hire well-qualified individuals to complete lawful gun sales or the Fed is going to eat your a$$ for lunch. Now I understand that Dufus from the LGS might make a mistake from time to time, and that may go unnoticed. But, Walley is so big they are guaranteed a rectal exam on a regular basis.

Anyway, as a total 2A person, I think it's great they are getting back to basics. I'm keeping my eye on Walley, they may be on to something bigger.