• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Workplace deaths went up 30 percent in 2010 as work-related homicides more than doubl

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/04/workplace_deaths_went_up_30_pe.html

GRAND RAPIDS — Workplace deaths in Michigan increased 30 percent in 2010 over the previous year, according to preliminary data released by researchers at Michigan State University.

There were 123 deaths, up from 95 in 2009. Work-related homicides more than doubled, accounting for 22 deaths, compared to 10 in 2009.

It was the leading cause after motor vehicle-related fatalities, which killed 26 workers last year.

Several of the homicide victims were retail workers shot by robbers, said Dr. Ken Rosenman, director of MSU’s Division of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.

About 55 percent of the homicide deaths happened at workplaces in Wayne County.

The 22 homicide victims included three police officers. Nearly all the deaths involved guns.

While the number of work-related deaths fluctuates each year, Rosenman emphasized that each workplace fatality in the workplace is preventable.

=================================================

Of course they're preventable- let the workers carry protection!

kubel

If you work in a facility that requires you to consent to searches of your person as a condition of employment, I would recommend a deep concealment holster (like SmartCarry) worn extremely deep (under your boxers) with a very small gun. The ultimate way to carry with it is like this: (from inside out)

Briefs over wedding vegetables
SmartCarry sitting on top of briefs hanging as low as possible (with LCP and magazine properly holstered)
Boxers over the SmartCarry (boxers are optional but serve as extra cover if you are partially strip searched)
Shirt(s) tucked into the boxers and tucked under the smart carry (this allows the gun to be accessible)
Pants and belt (worn just lose enough so you can get your hand into your pants to draw)

This way a work place can strip you down to your boxers and still not locate a weapon. When a threat pops up, you simply reach down into your pants following your shirt all the way down to your holstered gun. I've practiced with this method and am surprised how deep the concealment is, yet how easy it is to draw. The only drawback is drawing from a seated position- it won't happen, especially if you have a gut.

Unless you pass a metal detector or full body scanner or are completely stripped to your bare ass, you will most likely not be discovered. You can even be patted down. It's also very comfortable for what it is. You can run, hang up-side-down, squat, bend over- all the things that might expose carrying in a traditional IWB holster don't seem to do it with deep concealment. If there's a bulge, it's in a place that one would expect to see one, and people don't typically stare at that location.

The only thing that takes practice (other than drawing) is when you are using urinals. It makes you the most exposed, but a simple thumb movement to the side to slide the holster over and a covering with the shirt can fix that problem easily. If it all possible, opt to use a urinal at the end (slide the holster to the side with the wall), or even better, a toilet stall with a door.

The SmartCarry, though a completely different holster with a completely different purpose, is right up there with my Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe when it comes to quality, comfort, and effectiveness.

Michigander

I wish I could. I work in a PFZ.

If 4009/4010 pass though, well damned what the handbook says. My life isn't worth my job.

If I remember right, the specific result of getting caught is a 500 dollar fine and 6 month loss of CPL, first offense is a civil infraction. Your life may or may not be worth 500 dollars. But I dont suggest violating laws, so it's the sort of thing only you can figure out.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
This just proves PFZ DO NOT WORK!

If you have a license to purchase or a CPL you are not a criminal period! So you should have the ability to defend yourself one would think? Guess not. Nothing better for a NUT or a criminal than knowing they have a bunch of "fish in a barrel" to choose from if they desire. Good job law makers....NOT!

stainless1911

Banned
Fish in a barrel was my first thought when they talk about lockdown at a school. I'm older now, but as a teen, if they locked us in, whoever was in front of the door, or whoever volunteered to unlock it first would have had thier @$$ handed to them.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
If you work in a facility that requires you to consent to searches of your person as a condition of employment, I would recommend a deep concealment holster (like SmartCarry) worn extremely deep (under your boxers) with a very small gun. The ultimate way to carry with it is like this: (from inside out)

Briefs over wedding vegetables
SmartCarry sitting on top of briefs hanging as low as possible (with LCP and magazine properly holstered)
Boxers over the SmartCarry (boxers are optional but serve as extra cover if you are partially strip searched)
Shirt(s) tucked into the boxers and tucked under the smart carry (this allows the gun to be accessible)
Pants and belt (worn just lose enough so you can get your hand into your pants to draw)

This way a work place can strip you down to your boxers and still not locate a weapon. When a threat pops up, you simply reach down into your pants following your shirt all the way down to your holstered gun. I've practiced with this method and am surprised how deep the concealment is, yet how easy it is to draw. The only drawback is drawing from a seated position- it won't happen, especially if you have a gut.

Unless you pass a metal detector or full body scanner or are completely stripped to your bare ass, you will most likely not be discovered. You can even be patted down. It's also very comfortable for what it is. You can run, hang up-side-down, squat, bend over- all the things that might expose carrying in a traditional IWB holster don't seem to do it with deep concealment. If there's a bulge, it's in a place that one would expect to see one, and people don't typically stare at that location.

The only thing that takes practice (other than drawing) is when you are using urinals. It makes you the most exposed, but a simple thumb movement to the side to slide the holster over and a covering with the shirt can fix that problem easily. If it all possible, opt to use a urinal at the end (slide the holster to the side with the wall), or even better, a toilet stall with a door.

The SmartCarry, though a completely different holster with a completely different purpose, is right up there with my Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe when it comes to quality, comfort, and effectiveness.

+1 on the smart carry. I bought one about 2 weeks ago and within the past few days I must say that I love it. Although I OC about 90% of the time, if I choose to cc this is what I use. It took a while to get used to and find the right "fit", but once found, I really say that I like it. Within the past few days, I've even used it while OC to carry my spare mags.

autosurgeon

+1 on the smart carry. I bought one about 2 weeks ago and within the past few days I must say that I love it. Although I OC about 90% of the time, if I choose to cc this is what I use. It took a while to get used to and find the right "fit", but once found, I really say that I like it. Within the past few days, I've even used it while OC to carry my spare mags.

For those times when you really want to CC in comfort and without anyone the wiser this is the rig period! :banana:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
i checked out smart carry's website and i must say i don't understand how you could comfortably sit with a gun as large as a 1911 right in your crotch. even my xd9 subcompact would be uncomfortable if smashed into my "wedding vegatables" whilst sitting. i can see how it would work for standing, but not so much for sitting. maybe for a smaller firearm like an LCP. I use a desantis tuck this because it allows for carrying strong side or however the wearer prefers.

autosurgeon

i checked out smart carry's website and i must say i don't understand how you could comfortably sit with a gun as large as a 1911 right in your crotch. even my xd9 subcompact would be uncomfortable if smashed into my "wedding vegatables" whilst sitting. i can see how it would work for standing, but not so much for sitting. maybe for a smaller firearm like an LCP. I use a desantis tuck this because it allows for carrying strong side or however the wearer prefers.

I couldn't understand it either until I got one... I carry a Taurus PT111 in mine and it is a little bigger than a Glock 26

cmdr_iceman71

If you signed an acknowledgement that firearms weren’t allowed on the property of your respective employer and then you ended up using your handgun in a self-defense situation at work. Wouldn’t a prosecutor be able to charge you with criminal trespass with a firearm?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

When I first got mine I tried it on and felt it was uncomfortable. Then, I went online and found some vids and also some posts on other websites which explained it takes some adjustment to find the right fit. After discovering that I needed to wear the thing lower and SLIGHTLY more to the side than what I felt "right" at the time, it definitely was worth looking at others' experiences.
Like I said, I mostly carry OC. Recently, (sometimes), I started carrying my Glock 23 as a backup to my p64, (oc).
They do have a pretty liberal return policy, as I recall. If you had asked me the first day or two I had it, I would have said I was going to return it. After viewing some videos online and other information, I have decided to definitely keep it...